Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier Mod Suggestions:

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Jones4412

Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier Mod Suggestions:

Post by Jones4412 »

So I am getting ready to bottle my 2nd batch of Mr. Beer (That Voodoo that you do which I added .25lb of Carapils to) I have a can of the Bavarian Weissbier on deck. I was hoping some of you could help me out with some good recipes I can use to kick this HME up a notch. Thanks in advance for your input.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mr. Beer Bavarian Weissbier Mod Suggestions:

Post by Bluejaye »

I was pretty happy with the deluxe version as-is, but I plan on making this recipe with the HME next time:

http://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/prod ... zen_Recipe

Which is basically the deluxe version with a hop addition. I might also use some WB-06 yeast, as well, but haven't decided, yet.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... wb-06.html
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

Jones4412 wrote:So I am getting ready to bottle my 2nd batch of Mr. Beer (That Voodoo that you do which I added .25lb of Carapils to) I have a can of the Bavarian Weissbier on deck. I was hoping some of you could help me out with some good recipes I can use to kick this HME up a notch. Thanks in advance for your input.
Do some research on hops. Pick one out that you think would go nicely with a wheat beer. I would suggest a 20 min boil or less, with 1 lbs of DME of your choice, and add the HME at flame out. You could also try Nottingham yeast, that seems to go well with wheat also.
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

What are your thoughts on this. Boiling 1 to 1.5 Gallons of water. Steeping .25 lbs Carapils for 30 mins. adding 3 lbs either Bavarian Wheat DME or 3 lbs. Golden Light DME Boil for 30- 60 mins?? Adding .25 oz of Spalter Hops for 15 mins and .25 oz of Pearle Hops for 15 mins (for flavor and aroma instead of bittering due to the Hopped Malt Extract), taking off heat adding the Bavarian Weissbier HME. add to LBK, top with Cold water and underpitching White Labs 300 Yeast instead of the pack of yeast that comes under the lid. I am looking to try and get banana flavors in this batch similar to a Franziskaner Weissbier.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

do you have QBrew?? It will help you out with your recipe designs
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

I posted it in your other thread, but coriander can be a nice addition. Perhaps some orange peel?
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

Jones4412 wrote:What are your thoughts on this. Boiling 1 to 1.5 Gallons of water. Steeping .25 lbs Carapils for 30 mins. adding 3 lbs either Bavarian Wheat DME or 3 lbs. Golden Light DME Boil for 30- 60 mins?? Adding .25 oz of Spalter Hops for 15 mins and .25 oz of Pearle Hops for 15 mins (for flavor and aroma instead of bittering due to the Hopped Malt Extract), taking off heat adding the Bavarian Weissbier HME. add to LBK, top with Cold water and underpitching White Labs 300 Yeast instead of the pack of yeast that comes under the lid. I am looking to try and get banana flavors in this batch similar to a Franziskaner Weissbier.
I have a wheat with, Honey Malt steep, and 1 lbs of Wheat DME, 3 lbs of wheat UME, with Amarillo at 20mins and at 5 mins. Added sweetened orange peel a week before bottling. You can boil the water after the steep, then start adding the DME, and hops.
I would suggest if you haven't used either one of the hops, that you chose 1. This way you can know what that hop brings to the brew. The great thing about doing this smaller batches is it does take too long, so you can do another one exactly the same with the other hop. The I purchased a second LBK just for this purpose. Now that I have done several batches with different single hops, I am know ready to do an IPA, with 2 different hops I liked from other brew.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

what do you mean by under pitching the yeast?? The Banana esters come thru at a warmer fermentation temp

Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

haerbob3 wrote:what do you mean by under pitching the yeast?? The Banana esters come thru at a warmer fermentation temp
Not 100% sure but I've read that underpitching , or ptching about half to 3/4 of the amount of yeast you normally would helps "stress out" the yeast and help produce more banana flavor (along w/ the warmer fermentation temps)
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

I am just wondering how you would dived the liquid yeast to match the cell count. You need to find out the cell count to pitch for your size batch

berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I would pitch the whole tube and ferment on the very high side to get what you are looking for.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

haerbob3 wrote:I am just wondering how you would dived the liquid yeast to match the cell count. You need to find out the cell count to pitch for your size batch
Honestly, I know the whole vials are usually the right size for 5 gallon batches so I was figuring I'd use about half a vial.... Not very calculated, I know, but figured that'd be about right?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It depends on how old your vial is. If it's more then a month or two from manufacture date it's actually really not a high enough pitch rate to make the best beer possible in a 5 gallon batch. It will still make beer, but you can make better beer by pitching fresher yeast or making a starter. But it's a good pitch still in a 2.5 gallon batch still.

I'd personally just pitch the whole thing and ferment warm.
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

mashani wrote:It depends on how old your vial is. If it's more then a month or two from manufacture date it's actually really not a high enough pitch rate to make the best beer possible in a 5 gallon batch. It will still make beer, but you can make better beer by pitching fresher yeast or making a starter. But it's a good pitch still in a 2.5 gallon batch still.

I'd personally just pitch the whole thing and ferment warm.
Ok cool, I'm sure it won't be too old. I haven't picked anything up yet from my LBHS, but they carry fresh yeast. But what do you Gus think about the grains or DME to add? How much and which types?
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

You may want to consider a SMaSH. Single Malt Single Hop.

Research some hops that you would like to try. Pick one, 20 mins will give you flavor.