beer chemistry

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: beer chemistry

Post by BB2 »

WOOT. Only missed two as well. Very happy as there were some tough spots in this segment. I deserve a :mug:

Not sure how the grading is calculated - I guess they don't use GPAs anymore? Not to mention A's and B's. My school days were the 70s-80s.

And, yes GOF, we will be studying details of the BIOchemistry of yeasties. But not before we do malting, mashing and boiling chemistry.
Past BBFFL Champion (for now)
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I got all of the questions right on the 2nd quiz, but missed a couple on the first one. I think I'm better at the actual science and math than I am at conceptual stuff.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Yoop, the quiz ends today, so don't wait for the weekend.

Just aced the 2nd unit quiz, which makes up for my mediocre performance on the first quiz... Learned my lesson. Goes to show that my one tour through the lesson vids early in the week on Unit 1, followed by little review at the end of week and hoping to rely on 20 year old faded memories of chemistry was not a sound strategery... I also think I'm in the same camp as Phil. This unit made a lot of sense and was less theory (to me anyway), so I seemed to retain better. Also, every question I missed on the first one were fill-in questions, and I still contend that my answers were reasonable, but apparently the grader disagreed. Was glad to see that those style of questions were done away with. ;)
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

The third week lesson is up now, and it's pretty easy and straightforward. The self-assessment probably is easy enough that most will be able to pass it without even watching the vids, but the chemistry vid gives some detail to some things we talk about in vagaries... DMS, banana esters, hop alphas, etc. Pretty quick watch/read this week...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

You vast bastards got 100%? Wow. Impressive.

Swen's right, I took the assessment for Unit 3 just now with no prior info and got all 8 questions right.

This one's going to be a breeze for us brewers.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Was a bit worried as got back later than intended (especially since I didnt know I was going in the first place) from the camping show. Jumped back in the office to finish the final unit as well as the ACS video. Took the assessment and got just a tad over half right. Nope, a big fat eff aint goona cut it. One of two were due to me not reading the questions correctly but gotta count on that happening anyway. Went right to the quiz and completely drove the wife batty with my mumbling (well, grumbling as louder than a mumble) to myself sentence fragments with chemisty and math stuffs embedded here and there along with a few choice swear words.

But, all was worth it when I finally emerged, stood between her and the TV, and started doing my "I am sooooo smart" song and dance for her (something for some reason she will never sing along with me). 100% - aced that bad boy! But, I am hoping the worst is NOT yet to come.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

this is turning out to be funner than i thought...... gotta love the "im so smart dance" i personaly could be doing bettter if i spent a lil more time on it think next quiz im goin to tho
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

GMan I gotta give a big ole shout out for turning the Borg onto this course. BB2 is all over these sessions and loving it. :thanks: :urock: :urock:
Sibling Brewers
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

I found the beer styles info much more interesting than the "elasticity of moiety" bullshit.

Hehehehehe. I cracked myself up.
Crazy Dog Brewing

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Brewbirds wrote:GMan I gotta give a big ole shout out for turning the Borg onto this course. BB2 is all over these sessions and loving it. :thanks: :urock: :urock:
Ditto. That was one heck of a find especially with it being free Free FREE! Now if someone starts debating beer with me I can use the "elasticity of moiety" stuffs on them until their eyes glaze over and they buy me a beer to shut up.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Now if someone starts debating beer with me I can use the "elasticity of moiety" stuffs on them until their eyes glaze over and they buy me a beer to shut up.
Imagine my trepidation at the lectures I'll be receiving every brew day from now on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though he's way into it and since I'm mostly the kitchen slavey he'll have to learn how to translate into small speak or the brew day day is going to get much longer. :whistle:
Sibling Brewers
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

Brewbirds wrote:GMan I gotta give a big ole shout out for turning the Borg onto this course. BB2 is all over these sessions and loving it. :thanks: :urock: :urock:

yea its cool to see it caught on with the borg :clink:
BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BB2 »

Disappointed myself by missing two unit 3 questions, both due to carelessness. One, very easy, I just got distracted by the profs use of yeast color to match types and just carelessly mismatched them. The second, I counted my carbons in the diagram properly (hint: review your branch naming, metas and butes) and just fumbled the matching box thingy. Oh well, looks I am destined for a "B".
Past BBFFL Champion (for now)
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

I, contrary to my earlier performances, aced this one. I noticed the question about yeast and beer color didn't make any sense but just matched the "shade" to the style anyway.

I'm sure the same dumbass who posted in the review that the question about lagering was "technically incorrect" will have something to say about the yeast/color question on the quiz too.

I forgot that there's always one of "those guys" in college settings.
Crazy Dog Brewing

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

For those who may have missed it (like me, who just noticed yesterday) the 3rd unit quiz is due this Tuesday and not on a Saturday like the previous two. Good thing I decided to double check and pay attention as Tuesday is date nite with two dollar crafts so some nights I tend to come home a little loopy and would hate to have to take my quiz in that state!