Nugget hop users please opine

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Nugget hop users please opine

Post by Beer-lord »

I've used Nugget twice in the last 6 months. In one batch, there was very little but in another batch, I added a bit more than an ounce at 60 and then 1/2 oz with some other hops at 20. I've found both had an odd taste. Not bad but somewhat competitive to me to what I was trying to do. I've never done an all Nugget beer and really don't plan on it. To me, it a bit herbally.

But since I have 8 or so ounces, and will likely use it sparingly in the future, what does the borg do with Nugget that I can steal ideas from? And, what's your take on it?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Nugget hop users please opine

Post by BigPapaG »

Hi Paul,

Had it in an Amber and it was ok... It's kind of intensely herbal and is better as a bittering hop in darker ales IMHO.

Needs a pronounced malt backbone to play against.

Don't think I ever tried it as a flavor or aroma addition, nor do I think I would.

:cool:
Last edited by BigPapaG on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Pretty much sums up my feelings too. I've even gotten a slight 'bubble gum' flavor from it at warmer temps and the herbal can be somewhat mediciny to me.
The local NOLA Brewery uses it in a few of their beers but I just don't taste it as it seems to blend in very well with the other hops and malts.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

I've never used nugget hops, but I know that it's in a pretty popular beer from Troegs, Nugget Nectar. I've never had it but I wonder if anyone here on the Borg has tried it and might give some more insight. Here's the commercial description of the beer.

Alcohol by Volume: 7.5%
Hop Bitterness (IBU's): 93ish
Color (SRM): Straw / Orange
Availability: Seasonal (February-March)
Malts: Pilsner, Vienna, Munich
Hops: Nugget, Warrior, Tomahawk, Simcoe, Palisade
HopBack Hops: Nugget
Yeast: Ale
TASTING NOTES
Squeeze those hops for all they’re worth and prepare to pucker up! Nugget Nectar Ale will take hopheads to nirvana with a heady collection of Nugget, Warrior and Tomahawk hops. Starting with the same base ingredients of our flagship HopBack Amber Ale, Nugget Nectar intensifies the malt and hop flavors to create an explosive hop experience.

Sounds like a tasty beer, sure would like to try one.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks for that!
It seems that most of the beers I've read about that include Nugget, a great majority flavor and aroma with Warrior and Columbus (CTZ). I wonder if that would make me enjoy them more. I don't have any Warrior but I do have lots of Columbus so the next time I use Nugget, I'll give that a try.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
brewin bull
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by brewin bull »

I use Nuggets in my lemon pale ale. I use it as a 30 min bittering, I follow it with a 20 and 10 min citra. I find it a nice balance with the fresh lemon zest and juice.

I am not the best at defining flavors, but maybe Phil can express it better as he has had the lemon pale ale.
Carcharodon Brewing
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I haven't thought of using Nugget as a primary flavor or aroma hop, but have used it for bittering in as short as a 20-minute hop boil, to support other flavor and aroma hops such as Goldings. I haven't thought it caused any problems in this supporting role.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

We grow Nugget and the other year had a couple pounds left over that I helped myself to. To get a feeling, I did a SMaSH I call "Clutter Buster" with it using:

0.70 oz Nugget [12.10%] (60 min) Hops 27.2 IBU
0.75 oz Nugget [12.10%] (15 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.75 oz Nugget [12.10%] (10 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [12.10%] (5 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [12.10%] (0 min) Hops -
2.00 oz Nugget [12.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days)

This is one of SWMBOs favorites.

From what I can tell, most of the Nugget we sell is used in bittering and some flavor. Then again, they dont always tell us their secrets either.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I may have to give this another shot but based on my recent tastes with just a little of this, I don't know if I could enjoy an all Nugget beer. Maybe I did something wrong. Again, it was very drinkable, everything was normal except for the almost medicinal taste at the very beginning of the sip.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black