Not Enough Priming Sugar in bottles

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Jones4412

Not Enough Priming Sugar in bottles

Post by Jones4412 »

So I bottled my beers yesterday and today I realized I put in about half of what is needed for an amber ale. I used the tasty brew calculator but somehow messed up the amounts when trying to convert it into tablespoons. My question is, would it be better to pop the tops off and put more priming sugar in each bottle or will it eventually carb up with the small amount that is in already, Ill just have to wait a bit longer?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Not Enough Priming Sugar in bottles

Post by RickBeer »

How much did you put in, and what size bottles?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

I put in 2 and a half tablespoons in about a cup of boiled water then added it to the top of the LBK (since i didn't have a separate bottling bucket available) and gave it a gentle stir before bottling.
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

and they were 22 oz. bottles. (12 total)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Ok, this is going to be a head scratcher and learning experience for everyone. According to Screwys calculator, you needed 3.5 Tbsp of cane sugar for 2.2 volumes at 2.2 gallons. But the gentle stirring of the LBK may have brought some trub (dead/tired yeast) back into suspension, which may change things.
Mainly by adding more trub to the bottles, provided the beer had fermented out. How long had it been fermenting?

So if it were mine I would set them aside for 3 weeks, toss one in the fridge for a week and see where the carb level is. If need be you can always add more dissolved sugar water later to each bottle.
Next time either batch prime in a separate container or add the sugar to each bottle then add the beer. And always triple check numbers, or so I've heard, not like I've messed up a beer or two. :whistle:

Please keep us informed.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Yeah, I've gotta agree with Jeff... Let 'em ride...

Make sure they stay at a comfortable room temperature to keep the yeast active for a good three weeks and you should be ok.

While you 'could' add more now, you would be introducing a risk of infection that just isn't warranted at this point in time. See what you get before deciding if you need to do anything...

:cool:
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

okay cool, I had them fermenting for 3 weeks. I don't mind waiting longer for it to carb up and Condition, I just wanted to make sure it would still carb up if I waited longer. I was planning on waiting at least 4 weeks anyways to let it condition. The Recipe is (That Voodoo That You do) There is about 7% ABV in it. will that make it harder to carb up?
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Yes, the higher the ABV, the longer the carb phase takes generally...

With less sugar, you gotta hope the yeast can also take out a bit more of the complex fermentables left in the malt.

I had a 7.5% Wee Heavy that took over four months to properly carb...

Time is your friend here...

Good time to brew another batch or three!

:cool:
Last edited by BigPapaG on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

What ever ya do, do not open the bottles and drop more sugar in. Maybe do it to one for the experience, but do it over the sink... your gonna see a volcano. Funny as heck to watch. I tried it once, but I had mixed the sugar with water to dissolve, still had the same results. Wife did not think if funny.....
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Jones4412

Post by Jones4412 »

FrozenInTime wrote:What ever ya do, do not open the bottles and drop more sugar in. Maybe do it to one for the experience, but do it over the sink... your gonna see a volcano. Funny as heck to watch. I tried it once, but I had mixed the sugar with water to dissolve, still had the same results. Wife did not think if funny.....
Haha, that is good to know. I think I will just give this batch a long time to condition. I will be starting a Bavarian Weissbier recipe this weekend. (Bavarian Weissbier HME from Mr. Beer, steeping .25 lbs Carapils, adding 1.5 lb. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME,+ .25 oz of Perle Hops for 15 mins. and pitching WLP 300 Yeast.) Any thoughts on that recipe?
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

Jones4412 wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote:What ever ya do, do not open the bottles and drop more sugar in. Maybe do it to one for the experience, but do it over the sink... your gonna see a volcano. Funny as heck to watch. I tried it once, but I had mixed the sugar with water to dissolve, still had the same results. Wife did not think if funny.....
Haha, that is good to know. I think I will just give this batch a long time to condition. I will be starting a Bavarian Weissbier recipe this weekend. (Bavarian Weissbier HME from Mr. Beer, steeping .25 lbs Carapils, adding 1.5 lb. Briess Bavarian Wheat DME,+ .25 oz of Perle Hops for 15 mins. and pitching WLP 300 Yeast.) Any thoughts on that recipe?
One of my first batches was the bavarian + booster + corriander + .5oz Perle

You have already improved this recipe by using the dme instead of booster. My only suggestion is to add some corriander, IF you like corriander that is.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I personally would not prime in the fermenting keg since it would be too difficult to get a good mix as well as keep the trub down. Pick up a slimline or another LBK or simply bottle prime for now. I generally still bottle prime my MrB sized batches since it is only a case and I really dont save much time considering the extra cleanup involved. 5g batches are batched since that does make sense (to me anyway).
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company