I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by John Sand »

I probably have at least six cases in the basement, but some aren't good (it's true) and some are conditioning. But I threw about a half ton of snow and ice off the boat today, so I had a couple more beers.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I'm with ya John. I had to open up a path to the tool shed today, needed some items from it. Probably snow blowed 3 hundred yards, but it was not fun..... the snow started out 8 inches deep, then we had a warm spell so it glazed the top like solid ice. THEN another snowstorm dumped probably 6 inches, then warmed up again.. freaking weather... another layer of ice on top there. If that was not fun enough, it one again snowed on top that, so I had bout 3 foot of snow to blow a path through with 2 layers of freaking ice mixed in. Took me all day and I think I just about destroyed the snow blower for my troubles. Now, ya wanna hear something funny? The tool was not in the shed... have not found it yet.... yesh... I came inside and started drinking beer.. have not stopped yet tonight. Some days it does not pay to get out of bed.

I did manage to get the garden tractor out, now to get it ready for spring.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

spent yesterday afternoon replacing a alt in the MiL's Geo. wonder if they could've made it any harder to actually get it out of the engine compartment? took a little while to figure the route out and remove obstacles , happy to say went back in with out loosing near as much skin. ;) however while I'm underneath removing the shield and bottom bolts, I could see where the water pump has defiantly been leaking out the front seal. it never ends.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Sorry FIT, but that's funny. We've had less snow, but the same results, layers of ice and snow. That made it really hard to get the ice off my car, can't really bang or scrape.
JJ, I hear ya. My ex-wife had a Hyundai, and those things were just not made for my big American mitts. IIRC, you're even taller than I am. That's one reason I drive a '79 Chrysler. I know how to fix it, and I fit in it or under it. You're discovery is a great reason to do your own maintenance. I always see something that needs attention when I do repairs. That applies to the boat also, which has a 1968 diesel (Perkins 4-107, for you old tractor drivers out there).
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Jim, my daughter had a car that was a pain to work on until I found the secret to it... had to change out an alternator, a mechanic told me to jack up the right wheel, remove it, remove the shield. So I did, and guess what? The freeking alternator was staring me right in the face. Once I got to it, only took a few minutes to change. If I remember right, it was some small olds, I thunk... has been awhile.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

...Because my son destroyed two tires on his car and at least one rim this afternoon.

Not his fault, I'll be quick to point out. The potholes around here are bad enough to disable a Sherman tank, and he was coming around a curve, and there was an oncoming car, so he cheated to the right, and BAM! BAM! before he even had a chance to see it. It happens. No one was hurt.

Fortunately, he was able to get in touch with my brother, who wasn't working today, and he helped him out. Then, when I got home, my brother picked me up and we went and got the car from the school parking lot they'd left it in and limped it about a half mile or less to a Mavis Discount Tire store.

When my brother dropped me off, I asked him to come in for another homebrew, since he'd definitely earned this one. He only stayed for one, but he was grateful for it, and I'm grateful for him.

I'll get the final word on the total cost either this evening or tomorrow.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Schöenwald Schwarzbier -- Littlejohn's Ale
Drinking:
Crown Top Pale Ale -- Ottertoberfest
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

FedoraDave wrote:...Because my son destroyed two tires on his car and at least one rim this afternoon.

Not his fault, I'll be quick to point out. The potholes around here are bad enough to disable a Sherman tank, and he was coming around a curve, and there was an oncoming car, so he cheated to the right, and BAM! BAM! before he even had a chance to see it. It happens. No one was hurt.

Fortunately, he was able to get in touch with my brother, who wasn't working today, and he helped him out. Then, when I got home, my brother picked me up and we went and got the car from the school parking lot they'd left it in and limped it about a half mile or less to a Mavis Discount Tire store.

When my brother dropped me off, I asked him to come in for another homebrew, since he'd definitely earned this one. He only stayed for one, but he was grateful for it, and I'm grateful for him.

I'll get the final word on the total cost either this evening or tomorrow.
Are you able to recoup your loss from the city?
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Here in CT, they made it pretty tough to recoup for pothole damage. You have to prove they knew about it and, the subjective part, that they had sufficient time to fix it. Whoever paves our roqds, especially highways, does a real crappy job. Not unusual for a paving job in the summer to be pothole ridden the first winter. What a racket....
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I deserve a homebrew because....I just spent another $1000 on propane........I am getting so tired of this winter.. I think I'll just shut the furnace off and keep warm by drinking beer and Whiskey, it would be cheaper.
Last edited by berryman on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

berryman wrote:I deserve a homebrew because....I just spent another $1000 on propane........I am getting so tired of this winter.. I think I'll just shut the off and keep warm by drinking beer and Whiskey, it would be cheaper.
:blink: Dave Berry determined years ago that it was cheaper to drink beer than to pay for propane. :idea:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I haven't had to fill my 20# tank since late fall... has the winter increased that or just home heating deliveries?
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mtsoxfan wrote:I haven't had to fill my 20# tank since late fall... has the winter increased that or just home heating deliveries?
I just paid $3.53 per gal for home heating, we also use it for cooking and our close dryer, I heard it's a lot higher in other parts of the country. I just filled 2 20lb tanks I use on my burner last weekend and they were still less then $20 each.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

That is just not right... if it's the same composition... almost wants to make you rig up a series of 20#ers to use to heat house...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I really don't know what the difference is between by the lb or by the gal. maybe someone else on here might know, I should look it up because now I'm curious.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

...because my Tripel has been sitting in a box for almost 4 months and I want some, dammit!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra