Which is it?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

blaxbear

Which is it?

Post by blaxbear »

Californians claim Sierra Nevada, and east coasters claim Sam Adams. Which really was the "cradle" of the craft beer movement? I'm sure other people were integral to the rise of tasteful beer in America, but often these two pillars from opposite coasts are described as the progenitors of the movement. Wikipedia suggests that SN was founded in 1979 and BB was founded in 1984. Age can't be the only factor in this, reach, philosophy, and other things matter of course.

Any thoughts? Growing up (I'm 23 and from the east coast) Sam Adams was the only "craft" beer I knew in my youth, and I remember BB commercials (think Jim Koch getting dunk-tanked into Boston Lager) quite well. Is this simply a coastal thing? Could Californians throw it in my face, and say they remember SN commercials and never even heard of Sam Adams?

I fully understand that neither one was the exclusive "father" of the movement, and I know most of what I've said is based on personal experience, but I thought it might be cool to discuss.
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Which is it?

Post by John Sand »

I don't know. You are right, it can't be age, because Anchor and Yuengling are way older.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
blaxbear

Post by blaxbear »

I had no idea Anchor was older. And I hardly consider Yeungling a craft brewery. Old for certain, but they make a decent lager at best, nothing to write home about.
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I think Sam Adams was the first WIDELY distributed craft beer.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

If I recall, on Brew Dogs they mentioned Anchor being the first craft brewery in the US, and it almost went under but Fritz Maytag rescued it and kept it going.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Not sure who it is either... related to Brew Dogs, they were at SAm Adams brewing one of their crazy concoctions, and they were souring wort by the three of them bathing in it. Wife nearly lost dinner and swore off beer.

BB is the largest though...
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

This could turn out to be a really good thread.

Personally, between the two original choices I would have to pick Sam Adam's. It was the first craft American beer I ever drank and, after spending two years in Scotland drinking delicious British beers and then returning to the "Land of Bud", I immediately thought the American beer scene was saved. Plus the fact that I don't remember ever drinking an Anchor beer.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I actually was drinking Anchor before SA, but that's just because it happened to be distributed where I was. The are the older brewery. But if you want to count distribution to "everywhere", I think SA wins hands down.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I don't know if it's a question with one pat answer. I get the feeling that the craft movement didn't "begin" so much as "happen". Sort of an organic thing that just flowered, rather than had some sort of inciting moment that can be pinned down.

Small breweries always existed, such as Yeungling, Rolling Rock, Genesee, Hamm's, but I don't know if you can call them "craft" breweries in the same sense as Dogfish Head or Yazoo or Brooklyn, since they have established their house styles and haven't really gone much beyond them. But what's the definition of a craft brewery, anyway?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

FedoraDave wrote: But what's the definition of a craft brewery, anyway?
I believe that, according to the AHA a craft brewery is a brewery that produces lass than three million barrels (gallons?) annually. Either way, that's a lot of beer.

My favorite local brewery now calls itself "Minnesota's original craft brewery". But it's been around for a long time (only Yeungling is older). For many, many years they only had two, three, maybe four beers. But as the craft beer movement picked up steam they wisely jumped on board and now make several different beers. Almost all with a degree of German heritage.
For long years.

― D.H. Lawrence
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I had my first taste of "real" beer when a friend who loved German beers gave me a 6 pack of Sam Addams in the 80's. This guy was the first person who I ever heard say that all of the BMC beers where a step above carbonated water. I brought that 6 to my Bud loving in-laws and they hated it. I thought they would go crazy for it.

Fast forward 30 years to my son's wedding last fall. The beer list was amazingly varied ( no BMC allowed ) and the same relatives were scooping up the leftover beer at the end of the party because they are all craft beer obsessed.

For me for it was Sam Adams.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Chuck N wrote:
I believe that, according to the AHA a craft brewery is a brewery that produces lass than three million barrels (gallons?) annually. Either way, that's a lot of beer.
Is that the definition of a craft brewery or a microbrewery? And what's the difference, if any? Because I doubt Hamm's or Matt's has/had a huge annual production run, but they were producing their own versions of American Light Lagers, in other words, BMC clones on a smaller, local basis.

I consider a brewery to be a craft brewery if they're pushing the envelope, the way SN or Sammy or Dogfish, et al. do. They have their defining house beer, yeah, and that pays their bills, but they keep experimenting and introducing seasonals, specialties, limited runs and other editions that aren't targeting the most generic audience. To me, that lifts them above the definition of how much they produce in a year.

Sam Adams is the largest, so if/when they go beyond the three million limit and are no longer a craft brewery, will they cease to have legitimacy, or will they stop introducing seasonals and specialty beers, and new editions? I sincerely hope not.

In other words, to me, small doesn't equal craft, and craft doesn't mean small.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I believe SA is also leading a charge to get the limit of a 'craft brewery' raised so they (and others) can stay under that definition.

Being on the West Coast, I was introduced to SN long before SA due to proximity to the brewery. Maybe they were on parallel paths at one point, but I think SA was likely distributed wider, faster.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

FedoraDave wrote:
Chuck N wrote:
Is that the definition of a craft brewery or a microbrewery? And what's the difference, if any? Because I doubt Hamm's or Matt's has/had a huge annual production run, but they were producing their own versions of American Light Lagers, in other words, BMC clones on a smaller, local basis.

I consider a brewery to be a craft brewery if they're pushing the envelope, the way SN or Sammy or Dogfish, et al. do. They have their defining house beer, yeah, and that pays their bills, but they keep experimenting and introducing seasonals, specialties, limited runs and other editions that aren't targeting the most generic audience. To me, that lifts them above the definition of how much they produce in a year.

Sam Adams is the largest, so if/when they go beyond the three million limit and are no longer a craft brewery, will they cease to have legitimacy, or will they stop introducing seasonals and specialty beers, and new editions? I sincerely hope not.

In other words, to me, small doesn't equal craft, and craft doesn't mean small.
Again and, as usual, well said, Dave. :10:

I wasn't saying that I agreed with the AHA definition. In fact, I think you should submit your definition to them. It is a very good point.
For long years.

― D.H. Lawrence