04 yeast and the temps

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

04 yeast and the temps

Post by woody »

ok I just made this one I call it " all most porter". this is a run up to a full blown porter I plan to make soon.

10# 2 row
1#Munich
1#pale chocolate
1# caraform
1oz cascade 60
1oz cascade 30

us 04 yeast
mash at 152
ferment at 64
5.5 gal
Its sitting at 64 now and for 6 hr it was at 66, its just after max yeast activity about 48 hrs into the pitching of 1 pack 04 dry yeast. the grav on the sg was 1.074 with 4.5 gal in the fermenter. Here's my ? to the borg, in order to get the lest amount of off flavors from the yeast, but without stalling the fermentation when should I start to raise the temp or when and where should the temp level off at. now I know that this beer will take at least 10 day most likely to hit fg and more to clean up but I have never used these low temps with 04 yeast before and do not want the yeast to fall out early. I was thinking about letting it go at 64.
Beer-lord

Re: 04 yeast and the temps

Post by Beer-lord »

Yea, prolly not a real porter but who cares? 04 is likely perfect for this. 1.074 is a nice size almost porter too!
I might have done the last 1oz at 10 minutes just for some nose.
I like 04 at 65-66 and don't like what it does at 70. I would keep it as close to 65 as possible throughout the fermentation and if you can keep the early fermentation close to 62, I think you will like it as it lets the malts and hops shine a bit more.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

ya it, the fermentation temp I mean did get up to 66 while I slept and that seams a little high from what I here but at hour 0 to 18 it was under 64 for sure. it maxed at hour 36.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It depends on what your trying to make IMHO.

IE if you are trying to use S-04 to make more of an American IPA, then yeah 65 is good, but it makes good English style beer warmer then that. It works fine even lower - 58-62 too and makes really clean beer at those temps.

But around warmer then that, personally, 68-70, even 72 then I think it's fine, unless you don't like English yeast profiles or are not trying to make an English style beer. As in yes it's a bit fruity and estery at those temps - like a lot of real British pub ales are and should be. It is the witbread English strain after all.

To me it's only truly getting into nastier territory if it hits 74+ you start to get bubblegum flavors and stuff, and you beer will start to taste like you blende it with Saison Dupont and if it gets above 76 or so then lighter fluid too.

But honestly, in general I'd ask if you don't want any English like beer flavors, IE a bit of fruity esters, then why use S-04 in the first place, unless it's the only yeast you have on hand. I'd use S-05 or BRY-97 or Nottingham or Wyeast 1007 or something similar if I wanted the yeast to not be as present.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

At 1.074 I would have double pitched that yeast. I think 1 pack of it in a beer with a gravity that high is going to be stressed regardless of temperature.
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

yes i'm walking a thin line with this yeast but it was all a had. I have had the bubble gum from it in the past at higher temps, not good. I think I will keep it at 62 for the next week, hopefully its got what it takes to finish. oh by the way this beer I think is in the old ale category.