Trasfer Wort to Primary

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

shewdawg

Trasfer Wort to Primary

Post by shewdawg »

I've been all over the internet looking at different methods for transferring the wort into the primary fermenter. I currently just dump my hops in the wort during the boil then dump my wort through a strainer into the primary. One technique that I see online is creating a whirlpool prior to cooling then siphon the cooled wort preventing the flocculated material from getting into the primary. Don't know what this does to flavor or quality of beer or if there is a great difference in technique. My LHBS told me they don't even strain the hops out of theirs going into the primary. I've tasted some of their samples and feel that they do a better job then me. Any opinions out there or pointers?
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Trasfer Wort to Primary

Post by haerbob3 »

What you are doing is fine
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I've done both, (all three?) ie, dumped it all in, strained it, tried for a clean pour. With the LBK, dumping all in is not good, as the trub can top the valve. Straining can be messy, but results in more beer. Trying to leave the trub in the pot definitely costs beer. I bottle from the fermenter, bottle priming, using a bottle wand. An important tool is the clip for the autosiphon, so that the end doesn't bury in the trub.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

When I didn't do anything to strain my beer hop matter always found it's way into the bottling bucket, and clogged up my bottling wand. I brew in my spare garage and ferment in my basement. So I pour my beer through a strainer into two buckets, then carry the buckets downstairs one at a time, then dump them into my conical. This also areates the living daylights out of the wort which is great for the yeast. I do whirl pool because I stir vigorously to cool my wort faster. But then I bail my wort out of the pot with a pitcher.
shewdawg

Post by shewdawg »

Thanks all. Sounds like it's users preference. RDWHAHB I guess. :)
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I use an immersion chiller while stirring the wort in the kettle. Kinda makes for a whirlpool effect. Once chilled I let the wort sit ans settle out for a good 20 minutes or so and I open my ball valve on my kettle to drain the wort through clear tubing allowing it to splash and aerate on the way. Letting the wort settle out leaves me with clear wort into the fermenter...no straining no hassles. I either shake or stir the wort futher pitch m yeast and repeat.
Brew Strong My Friends...
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

MadBrewer wrote:I use an immersion chiller while stirring the wort in the kettle. Kinda makes for a whirlpool effect. Once chilled I let the wort sit ans settle out for a good 20 minutes or so and I open my ball valve on my kettle to drain the wort through clear tubing allowing it to splash and aerate on the way. Letting the wort settle out leaves me with clear wort into the fermenter...no straining no hassles. I either shake or stir the wort further pitch m yeast and repeat.
The immersion chiller I use allows me to recirculate the wort in the kettle for faster chilling and hop whirlpool. I still use a strainer to catch hop & break material. The Strainer dose a great job of aerating the wort & mixing the yeast + wort.

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

What do you have setup, a pump for the immersion chiller?
Brew Strong My Friends...
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Yep. I have a 2 pump, 3 kettle stovetop HERMS. I can do up to a 10 gallon full volume boil. Back problems forced to either use pumps or quit brewing. The latter is not an option.

woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

there has to be many a way to do it, here's mine. after boil is complete I cool by setting kettle in cold water bath. ya I know, slow and kind of old school but it takes me about 30 min. while its cooling I do whirl pool . then after a couple of home brews I transfer to carboy. I leave about 1/2 gal or a little more in the bottom" trube and hop". this is what I use to make starters or prime with. I dump it in mason jars after I strain it. if you heat it up past 200 then put it in mason jars you get a pretty good seal that helps it keep for a while in the fridge. As far as the fermenter and how clean the transferred wort is, I have never noticed any bad flavors from a little hop or trube in there. If I collect yeast to use over again I use a secondary fermenter to collect the yeast out of eliminating just about all thing but the yeast.
radonc73
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by radonc73 »

Do you risk losing any flavor the hops would give if you strain them before going into the primary? I know that he bitterness from the oil is already out of the pellets in my case but do those contribute to the taste if they are not in the primary? Or are they all used up with the boil?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

If you use a hop sack, you wouldn't put them in the primary. Everything is in the wort, so straining is fine.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

radonc73 wrote:Do you risk losing any flavor the hops would give if you strain them before going into the primary? I know that he bitterness from the oil is already out of the pellets in my case but do those contribute to the taste if they are not in the primary? Or are they all used up with the boil?
They have already contributed what they have to contribute by the time you transfer to your fermenter. Whether you strain or keep them in the fermenter is, as you've stated, Brewer's Choice (TM). - The trademark is just a long-standing joke....

I prefer to siphon after using Whirfloc, an immersion chiller and a good whirpool to keep as much out of my fermenter as possible. I like a clean beer.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I generally use hops sacks or a spider, and just dump everything into the fermenter as do not have a big enough strainer right now. For most large batches I generally do a secondary which helps with the clearing. I keep the clip off my autosiphon so suck up a wee bit of localized trub but this way I do not lose a whole lot of beer.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company