Cooking with Beer.

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Cooking with Beer.

Post by Ibasterd »

+1 to all the suggestions already made (Especially the chilli and brats.) The only thing I have done not yet mentioned is, make beer bread. Added beer to the dough. came out more like a biscuit. Also I have heard of using spent grains to make bread, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm surprised that philm00x hasn't chimed in yet. If he isn't making beer, he is cooking food as far as I can tell.
Attachments
bread.jpg
bread.jpg (240.73 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Last edited by Ibasterd on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
snooze_button

Post by snooze_button »

Best chili recipe I've seen calls for 13 ounces of beer. Why 13? Because it comes in 12oz bottles, and now the chef has gotta take care of that leftover 11oz right away....
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I'm with The Hat on ribs, boiling removes all flavor that can't even be replaced by beer. My ribs go 3-4 hours at 225 with apple or cherry then another hour wrapped with brown sugar and squeeze butter under the meatier side. Crap I'm sitting here drooling, just thinking about ribs now! :D
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

I am also in the camp of NOT boiling ribs.

But having said that I believe Braising ribs is NOT the same as boiling ribs. I have friends that do not grill much and tried ribs but in their eyes was a fail.

What a buddy does is rubs the ribs the night before and wrap in foil for fridge over night. Next morning he adds the 3-4 racks to a braising pot and adds just enough beer and a little liquid smoke to the pot to cover bottom and seals up with foil and cooks for 3 hours around 250*F there is not enough liquid to boil, but enough to steam/braise the ribs.

After 3 hours he gets his gas grill going and browns up the ribs and mops with a mix of the braise liquid and his BBQ sauce.

I tried them and very good (Wife could not try due to gluten in beer)

--- EDIT ---
BTW...

I use Redbridge GF beer now for beer cooking since wife has to have GF, but I always loved Papst Blue Ribbon in beer brats, the best beer for Brat cooking ever!
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I use beer a lot when I cook. I really appreciate it in stews and chili. I also like beer brats with a bit of carmelized onion cooked down in the same beer you used for the brats.

I went to a family dinner on Sunday and my mom made corned beef with potatos, carrots, and cabbage. She cooks all of it in Killians Irish Red. It adds just that hint of extra goodness without overpowering everything.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:I'm with The Hat on ribs, boiling removes all flavor that can't even be replaced by beer. My ribs go 3-4 hours at 225 with apple or cherry then another hour wrapped with brown sugar and squeeze butter under the meatier side. Crap I'm sitting here drooling, just thinking about ribs now! :D
Interesting technique, Dawg.

I prep them the night before, and use apple wood. I put the ribs on to smoke before I even reach temperature, so they can start soaking up the smoke before they even start cooking. I keep the temp at 225, spraying with a mop sauce every 30 minutes. I use the 3-2-1 method; three hours in the smoke, then I wrap them in foil with crushed garlic, sliced onion, and apple wedges for two hours. This let them steam and soak up more flavor (and after 3 hours, they've absorbed all the smoke they're going to absorb). Then, for the final hour (or "victory lap", as I call it), I sprinkle more rub on them and put them back on without the foil. Ten or fifteen minutes before I take them up, I brush them with my homemade Jack Daniels sauce, to give them a nice glaze.

Man, I can't wait until Memorial Day! I gotta make me some ribs!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Time for me to chime in! (lol, Andrew).

The only thing I've used beer for in cooking to date has been making beer batter for onion rings, but tonight I'm going to try a hand at making some beef stew with my Choco Brown ale. Using 2 inch chunks of angus beef, I'll cover them in flour and sear them on all sides while throwing in a couple stalks of celery, sliced, an onion, chopped, and some carrots, chopped. Once that's all done, I'll throw it all into the slow cooker with some beef stock, and deglaze the pan that I seared the meat in with a bottle of the Choco Brown. Let it reduce for a bit and then add it to the slow cooker. About 6-8 hours on low should do the trick. Probably serving on top of some wide egg noodles in a bowl.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

philm00x wrote:Time for me to chime in! (lol, Andrew).

The only thing I've used beer for in cooking to date has been making beer batter for onion rings, but tonight I'm going to try a hand at making some beef stew with my Choco Brown ale. Using 2 inch chunks of angus beef, I'll cover them in flour and sear them on all sides while throwing in a couple stalks of celery, sliced, an onion, chopped, and some carrots, chopped. Once that's all done, I'll throw it all into the slow cooker with some beef stock, and deglaze the pan that I seared the meat in with a bottle of the Choco Brown. Let it reduce for a bit and then add it to the slow cooker. About 6-8 hours on low should do the trick. Probably serving on top of some wide egg noodles in a bowl.
There you go Phil. That's what I was expecting from you. Sounds good!
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

There was also a recipe for chocolate stout chocolate layer cake I came across in a book last weekend that I meant to look up. It sounded amazing, and I'd probably wash it down with a Sacre Chat Dubbel, just because I don't like stouts or porters :lol:

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Shermie

Post by Shermie »

I've seen Emeril Laggase use beer in some of HIS recipes on his show Emeril Live. :hammer:
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Somewhat similar in prep Dave, I start pouring smoke to them instantly and then every 45 mins to an hour or so, I was told by someone that took a smoking course that meat stops absorbing the smoke once it hits 140 degrees internally. :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Beef stew is in the slow cooker!

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Phil, I predict that stew is going to be a winner! I've used dark beers in my beef stew, as well, and it's one of my favorites.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Shermie

Post by Shermie »

Here's some deep fried drumsticks & wings that I marinated in a beer marinade in the fridge for a few hours before deep frying them the next day. :hammer:
Attachments
003.JPG
003.JPG (159.15 KiB) Viewed 424 times
Last edited by Shermie on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Somewhat similar in prep Dave, I start pouring smoke to them instantly and then every 45 mins to an hour or so, I was told by someone that took a smoking course that meat stops absorbing the smoke once it hits 140 degrees internally. :clink:
I hadn't heard that, but I can believe it. I get an awesome smoke ring with this technique, and the ribs turn out flavorful, moist, not quite fall-off-the-bone tender, because you need a little tooth action to really appreciate them. But they come off the bone clean! Man, I can almost taste 'em now! Come on, warm weather!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: