Making my first Lager.

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Fishybrewer

Making my first Lager.

Post by Fishybrewer »

I'm starting to think about brewing my first Lager and I was looking for Info or hints or good reads that might head me in the right direction. Thanks, CHEERS David
madman960
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: Making my first Lager.

Post by madman960 »

David;

AG, PM, BIAB, or extract? BIAB and AG are the basically the same. What equipment do you have? What brews have you done? I am a newb but answering some or all those may get you better answers.

Bill
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

With all beer, fermenting temperature plays an important part. But for lagers, temperature control is key. You need to keep the temperature in the mid-50s during primary fermentation (rule of thumb there; check any info you can get on the yeast itself; it should tell you what the optimum temperature range is).

Once you get to within 25% of your target FG, you'll want to raise the temperature to the low/mid 60s for a diacetyl rest for three days or so. Then back to the lower temp to finish fermenting. Your total fermenting time may be longer than an ale, so keep that in mind.

After bottling, keep them at room temperature for a couple of weeks, then back in the lager fridge at fermenting temp or lower until ready to drink. Again, a longer conditioning time may be necessary, but it will also definitely enhance the quality of the beer.

Process and patience are required for lagers. But they're definitely worth it.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The Hat hit the nail on the head.....Patience is a must for lagers, but it will pay off in the end.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Fishybrewer

Post by Fishybrewer »

Thanks for the responses. This would be All Grain probably 2.5 gallon as an experiment. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. CHEERS!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

If you're using Pilsner malt, you need to boil it for 90 minutes. Otherwise, your pre-fermentation process doesn't change.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

What pitching temperature is appropriate for a lager?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

The pitching temperature depends on the yeast that is used. I use Saflager W 34/70. And I direct pitch according to their directions. Which is to pitch at a wort temp above 68F, wait 30 minutes, then aerate. I usually pitch around 70F. I leave the fermenter at room temp for about 24 hours, then put it into the fermentation chamber which has the temp controlled at 50F.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Bluejaye wrote:What pitching temperature is appropriate for a lager?
There are two schools of thought here and BlackDuck presented one - which is to pitch warm and get the yeast started before dropping to the fermenting temp. I subscribe to the other method of pitching at fermenting temp. It's yet another decision that each brewer needs to make on their own. For me, I read and listened to a lot of podcasts before doing my first lager and everything that I heard from people like Palmer and Jamil suggested that pitching warmer can help fermentation start sooner, but it likely produces more diacytel as a result. You can certainly do a diacetyl rest to try and clean it up, but I prefer to limit its production in the first place. I still do a rest to ensure a clean finish, but if I can do something to limit the creation of it in the first place that sounds like a good idea to me.

Again, it's a choice to make. I've had BlackDuck's beers and I can say without hesitation that he makes damn good beer so I'm certainly not saying his way doesn't work or is wrong.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

I am with Kealia on this. I pitch at fermentation temp. You need to pitch a lot more yeast for a lager than an ale. Generally I pitch a 5L starter for lagers. 6 gallon batch.
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Well, I didn't really have a lot of options, so I looked up the spec. sheet at Fermentis and pitched at 72F and then wisked the snot out of it after 30 minutes per their directions. I lowered the setting on my JC by 2 degrees every hour the rest of the day since I had read something on HBT about not wanted to shock the yeast by chilling it to fast. Within 24 hours I was down to 55F which is where I'm keeping it, so I'm not feeling to bad about this.

Even after reading this thread I am unclear how long the D-rest should be. A couple days, or until it reaches FG?

For bottling, do you carb it at fermentation temps or room temp, or either?

For the extended lager, is it at fermentation temps or in the 30s, or makes little to no difference?

Sort of related but not totally, but in the article found in this link, the section by Jason Buehler talks about purging with CO2 before racking to a secondary. Do people actually do that or is it overkill? I ask because I've been batch priming and have never done it, and while I might not have the most sophisticated palette I'd think I'd know what "wet bandaides" tastes like. I wonder because I also read that people rack to a secondary after the D-rest and lager in their fermentors for a couple of months before bottling, which doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I have no clue what I'd need to do this purging.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Bluejaye wrote:Well, I didn't really have a lot of options, so I looked up the spec. sheet at Fermentis and pitched at 72F and then wisked the snot out of it after 30 minutes per their directions. I lowered the setting on my JC by 2 degrees every hour the rest of the day since I had read something on HBT about not wanted to shock the yeast by chilling it to fast. Within 24 hours I was down to 55F which is where I'm keeping it, so I'm not feeling to bad about this.
Don't feel nervous at all, you'll make good beer.
Bluejaye wrote: Even after reading this thread I am unclear how long the D-rest should be. A couple days, or until it reaches FG?
After it reaches FG + a couple of days. Again, timelines vary but you want to finish fermentation and then leave time for the yeast to clean up the byproducts caused by fermentation (meaning, that you need to reach FG before the yeast switch gears).
Bluejaye wrote: For bottling, do you carb it at fermentation temps or room temp, or either?
I think it's safe to say that most people carb at room temp.
[/quote]
Bluejaye wrote: For the extended lager, is it at fermentation temps or in the 30s, or makes little to no difference?
The colder the better. It will clear and be ready sooner if you can go colder but if you can only do ferment temps, it will work.
Bluejaye wrote: Sort of related but not totally, but in the article found in this link, the section by Jason Buehler talks about purging with CO2 before racking to a secondary. Do people actually do that or is it overkill? I ask because I've been batch priming and have never done it, and while I might not have the most sophisticated palette I'd think I'd know what "wet bandaides" tastes like. I wonder because I also read that people rack to a secondary after the D-rest and lager in their fermentors for a couple of months before bottling, which doesn't sound like a bad idea, but I have no clue what I'd need to do this purging.
I don't. But I also rarely use a secondary. I did this the first time that I racked, but haven't done it since. To be fair, when I do lagers I just use the primary. I only keep it in the fermenter for 4-5 weeks before bottling. Then I just lager in the bottles.
Fishybrewer

Post by Fishybrewer »

Curiosity killed the cat!. I tried a taste test of my first Lager after I month of cold lagering and it was fantastic. Im sure it will be even better after a longer time. Great head and lacing, could be a little clearer yet, but that will come. I attribute my success to the wealth of knowledge on the BORG AND I thank you all. Cheers! David
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Glad to hear that your pleased. It will most likely clear some more the longer it lagers at cold temps.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck