all grain kits.. mixed or not?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

all grain kits.. mixed or not?

Post by zorak1066 »

I am doing my research for one day soon (hopefully) starting all grain. I was thinking of trying a northern brewer all grain kit using D180 instead of candi sugar solids. I would be limited to my boil size so I would need to make 2 half batches of 2.5 gallons. I would want my grain unmilled so I could take my time and not have to worry about spoilage.

question: does NB pack the grains in separate bags? or is everything pre-mixed in a bag (grain)?

question: if mixed in one bag can I split the grains equally or will there be risk of uneven blending of grains?

question: if a recipe calls for 1 lb of candi sugar solids, would 1 lb of candi sugar liquid be equivalent? or is there some conversion factor like with dme vs lme?

question: is a mashout necessary? what does it do?

question: how fine do you mill the grain?

thanks in advance....

--Z--
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: all grain kits.. mixed or not?

Post by FedoraDave »

According to Palmer, a mashout isn't always necessary. http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html It would depend on the water/grain ratio, and what grains are in the recipe in order to avoid a stuck sparge, such as if you were using oats or wheat, which can get gummy. I've never performed a mashout, and haven't had any issues.

I've never done an AG kit from Norther Brewer, so I can't address those questions. I would think, though, that if the grains are mixed, it's better not to split them and assume you're getting an even mix of grains. That just seems to defy the odds. NB does have a toll-free number, so it might be worth your time to give it a call and ask them directly.

I've never used Candi sugar, but I would think the same principle applies as with DME/LME. One pound of the dry simply can't be equivalent to one pound of the liquid, because the liquid has water in it, and water has weight. As far as conversion, I couldn't even begin to guess.

Milling grains can be a little tricky, and might take some time to get right if you're doing it yourself. The hulls should be cracked, not pulverized, and the meat of the grain should be fairly chunky. I'm trying to come up with a size comparison and the best I can do is this: You know when you separate two peanut halves and there's that little nubby piece? A little smaller, on average, than that. Two-thirds to half that size. Pretty vague, I know, but it's the best I can do. You'll also get floury residue, and some bits that don't grind much at all. It's all good, as long as the bulk of what you put in comes out in good shape.

Others will suggest using a spark plug gapper to measure the space, and perhaps even provide numbers, and that's all good, but I couldn't and didn't do that when I started grinding my own grain. I just set the gap a certain way, tinkered with it a bit, and when it came out looking like what I'd been getting from Northern Brewer, I left it at that, and I've been getting about 75% efficiency ever since.

Well, I don't know if my reply helped you at all, but maybe it's a starting point for you.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I do BIAB and only mash out about half the time. You really don't need to with a BIAB.
I've purchased about 5 kits from NB and all were unmilled and came in one, very large bag.
I have the Barley Crusher and kept my gab set at factory default of .039 and only mill once. It works perfect for me and after more than a year, I've not had to readjust it yet.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

As above, they will come mixed. I bought my kit ground. I also BIAB, and do my "grinding" in an old blender. I would split the mixed batch if I needed to, just mix them thoroughly first. But, if you are moving to AG, you might also move to five gallons. Or, buy separate ingredients and mix your own batches.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I havent tried with NB, but I know many places will also split a 5g kit into 2.5g for those Mr. Beer brewers. Couldnt hurt to ask if they would split it for your. The other option is to ask them if they could package the grains individually. I am guessing with them being their house kits they make the majority of them per order.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

thanks everyone... ALL very very helpful replies and greatly appreciated.

-Z-
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

another question:

I realize that for the freshest brew one should leave grain unmilled until ready to use... but what if one orders the grains pre-crushed? assuming they ship right away and it takes a week to get here.. and I sit on the kit for awhile... what kind of window is there before quality starts to suffer? I guess I'm asking how long can you keep crushed grains sitting around (in a sealed bag) before the quality of your beer starts to noticeably suffer?

thanks again everyone... and dave you made perfect sense to me. I totally suck at abstract visualization so your peanut kernel example really helped.

edit- sorry I got lazy and didn't do my due-diligence til now. it seems if properly stored in a sealed container, crushed or uncrushed, a couple weeks of sitting around shouldn't hurt things. (assumption- humidity controlled, stable temp, airtight bag) that was the general consensus on another forum. do the pros here agree? I trust you guys more than strangers.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I buy two batches at once, mill and seal the bags. I've had them sit for 6 weeks. Tasted fine. My LGBS has milled and bagged recipes sitting on the shelf.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Vacuum sealer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

You don't need to mash out. And Northern Brewer kits do come with the grain mixed. I wouldn't attempt to break one in half because you don't know which side has the most of which grains. The mix wouldn't be right if you try splitting it.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Gymrat wrote:You don't need to mash out. And Northern Brewer kits do come with the grain mixed. I wouldn't attempt to break one in half because you don't know which side has the most of which grains. The mix wouldn't be right if you try splitting it.

I agree with Gymrat. you will get 2 beers, but they probably won't taste quite the same.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

John Sand wrote: (B)uy separate ingredients and mix your own batches.
This here is you best solution. There are soooo many recipes out there in both print and on the inner-web and they only require simple mathematics to convert to whatever size batch you're doing. And then you won't feel so guilty when you put your own name to them. Even if you stole the name from some one else. :D
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
snooze_button

Post by snooze_button »

Northern Brewer also carries a few 3-gallon BIAB all-grain kits. I know that they make them per order, because I walked into the store to buy one last month and couldn't even find a shelf for them. I asked about it, and they printed out the ingredients list & instructions and offered to either make one for me or I could put it together & grind it myself. (Which I did, so it felt very hands-on. Part of the bonus of living nearby.)

They only offer four recipes that way, or at least that's what's officially on the menu. I've got a 3-gallon batch of the Jake's Cascadian Dark Ale conditioning right now.