New Clear Fermenter Now Available!

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

snooze_button

Re: New Clear Fermenter Now Available!

Post by snooze_button »

FedoraDave wrote:All I did was cut a small hole in the bottom of a black plastic garbage bag for the airlock to fit through, and it keeps it in the dark the whole time.
I use an old black sweatshirt as a carboy cover, with the airlock sticking up through the neck hole. It looks a bit like a store mannequin gone horribly right.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

snooze_button wrote:
FedoraDave wrote:All I did was cut a small hole in the bottom of a black plastic garbage bag for the airlock to fit through, and it keeps it in the dark the whole time.
I use an old black sweatshirt as a carboy cover, with the airlock sticking up through the neck hole. It looks a bit like a store mannequin gone horribly right.
Same idea, Snooze, although your method probably insulates it better, if that's a concern. And, frankly, every mannequin wishes it was full of beer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I think I will be jumping on one of these. I still brew a lot of smaller batches, especially over the summer because my immersion chiller doesn't work so well for larger batches and my fermentation fridge will not hold a full size bucket fermenter. Although last year I did cut out some of the door shelf to be able to fit a 5 gal pin lock keg as a fermenter. It's just short enough to fit inside and use for larger batches. And then sometimes over the winter I brew inside and can only brew smaller batches on the stove top. A 3 gal fermenter is still in need, a clear Brew Demon Conical is just a nice one to have, I want it.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beerlabelman
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Beerlabelman »

The clear BDC's are totally cool. Right now, I'm hooked on glass.
Attachments
Big Mouth Bubbler.JPG
Big Mouth Bubbler.JPG (49.03 KiB) Viewed 840 times
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I would actually prefer glass carboys, whatever the size. But I decided early on that plastic was better for my circumstances. I can't risk damaging the glass on my basement slab. Even a small nick or imperceptible crack has bad implications for the future.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Shermie

Post by Shermie »

JimH wrote:Hopefully the people buying this understand that it needs to stay in the dark. And then post some sweet yeast pr0n for us here on the borg.

Even the brown one must not be exposed to sunlight during the fermenting process. :hammer:
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
BrownstotheBone
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BrownstotheBone »

It's the Pervfermentor.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Right, no fermenter should be sitting in the sun's light, i.e. baking in it. But normal daylight won't harm a brown fermenter, or brown bottles for that matter.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)