beer chemistry

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: beer chemistry

Post by BB2 »

{Klaxons sounding, sexy computer voice intones: "Warning. Hull Breach in fifty seconds...forty...thirty"...}

Kirk: "Quick, Sulu. The Amadori Rearrangement....."

Spock: "Captain. It is logical to expect a Maillard Reaction".

Scotty: "Ock, ma head, she canna take anymore. She's breakin' up. Well, time for a wee heavy."
Past BBFFL Champion (for now)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

BB2 wrote:{Klaxons sounding, sexy computer voice intones: "Warning. Hull Breach in fifty seconds...forty...thirty"...}

Kirk: "Quick, Sulu. The Amadori Rearrangement....."

Spock: "Captain. It is logical to expect a Maillard Reaction".

Scotty: "Ock, ma head, she canna take anymore. She's breakin' up. Well, time for a wee heavy."
Now THAT is funny!!! :jumpy:
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Only 5 of 8 this time. I knew I didn't put in the effort this week, so not surprised, though one of the misses came from simply misreading the question (as it was a topic I am pretty solid on). Still have a solid 'B' at this point, but a little bummed. Going to get back to digging in this week...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Fouled by that dang Amadori Rearrangement! Dammit Kirk!!

Quickly eliminated the correct answer by saying to myself "Self, why the heck would radioactive Actinium be a result of the rearrangement? Obviously that is a wrong answer."

D'oh! Acetyl group....

McCoy: "Dammit Jim, Im a Doctor, not a Brewer!"
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

[quote="DaYooper"]Fouled by that dang Amadori Rearrangement! Dammit Kirk!!

Quickly eliminated the correct answer by saying to myself "Self, why the heck would radioactive Actinium be a result of the rearrangement? Obviously that is a wrong answer."

D'oh! Acetyl group....

McCoy: "Dammit Jim, Im a Doctor, not a Brewer!"[/quote

the other side of the McCoy coin; "By golly Jim, I'm beginning to think I could cure a rainy day!"
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Next quiz due on Tuesday.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I thought Morvant's email said today?

Anyway....I took it and only missed 1 this week.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I missed one as well. I'm really not certain what I missed on it (I guess I should research). I had one question I was unsure of (and I got it right), but one I was certain of (that I apparently missed).

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I missed one as well (which I thought was right, but wasn't).
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BB2 »

Very disappointed in our mashing segment given the EXTREME importance of the mash to brewing (and zero discussion of steeping or partial mashing). It seems very little was added to what we have previously covered. Virtually the only chemistry content was a copy of a wikipedia on what is "believed" to occur deep down inside the hydrolysis of maltose - which we have already thouroughly covered before in not one but two previous segments. I must agree with some of the other students that the complete omission of water chemistry from the syllabus is glaring, and here would have been a fine place for indepth discussion of various minerals, the CO2-Carbonate water cycle and pH. Instead we get only - what pH range do alpha vs beta amylase like. I assume this segment was more useful for a chemist wanting to learn brewing than for a brewer wanting to learn chemistry, and then only because the braukaiser.com theory of mashing material was attached.

As for the exam, well! First off I of course missed the one referring to the arcane babbledygook of what MAY lie behind the mystery of breaking glucose linkages (I did read it several times but couldn't follow; actually wondered if anyone else even read it since there were zero comments or question posted). What REALLY hacked me off was the question: "you are boiling your mash (what the feck? who does that? I know I'm just a countertop guy but, really?) and you get called away only to discover you mash is in full boil; what do you do (check all that apply)?" I select the only possible use for the mess is to make another batch and use it as a decoction. BUT WAIT ... the last selection is ( a funny ha ha joke?) 'go home and cry'. And this is considered a 2nd correct response? So I got that one wrong. Boilsheet! Sunbeech! Moverbucker!

I hope that was the worst we will see. I have learned some interesting stuff overall in the course so not a complete waste of time but this mash segment was pretty bad in my opinion anyway.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Wings_Fan_In_KC wrote:I thought Morvant's email said today?
Of course the email he sent out said the 17th but the website still has today. Of course, it seems when I do the assignments on the day they are due it tells me that I am late.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

If this was an actual "for credit" course for me, I'd be a bit more adamant about my objections on a few answers, especially on the first quiz. The answer to the structure of proteins question was "sequencing." I answered "sequence" and got it incorrect. On the proteins that catalyze question, I answered "enzyme" and was marked incorrect in favor of "enzymes." I asked about these two, and also questioned whether "wax" was a simple lipid (which is the answer I gave that was incorrect), and Morvant responded that the score was corrected, but I earned no more points and they are still marked incorrect. If enzyme v. enzymes was the reason I got a B instead of an A on an actual course I was paying for, I'd be pretty hot...

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

swenocha wrote:If this was an actual "for credit" course for me, I'd be a bit more adamant about my objections on a few answers, especially on the first quiz. The answer to the structure of proteins question was "sequencing." I answered "sequence" and got it incorrect. On the proteins that catalyze question, I answered "enzyme" and was marked incorrect in favor of "enzymes." I asked about these two, and also questioned whether "wax" was a simple lipid (which is the answer I gave that was incorrect), and Morvant responded that the score was corrected, but I earned no more points and they are still marked incorrect. If enzyme v. enzymes was the reason I got a B instead of an A on an actual course I was paying for, I'd be pretty hot...
Ya, I had the same problem and my worse score because of those "fill in the blank" questions. One that I remember was the denaturing one and rather than secondary and tertiary I answered one with "solubility." I was told it was a correct answer but not given any credit. I think that was about the time they stopped the "fill in the blanks" which is fine if a human is grading it but too darn picky for computer grading. But hey, if I was taking this on campus for money I would certainly push the issue for getting at least partial credit. But, cant really complain as it is free.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Gman20 »

BB2 wrote:Very disappointed in our mashing segment given the EXTREME importance of the mash to brewing (and zero discussion of steeping or partial mashing). It seems very little was added to what we have previously covered. Virtually the only chemistry content was a copy of a wikipedia on what is "believed" to occur deep down inside the hydrolysis of maltose - which we have already thouroughly covered before in not one but two previous segments. I must agree with some of the other students that the complete omission of water chemistry from the syllabus is glaring, and here would have been a fine place for indepth discussion of various minerals, the CO2-Carbonate water cycle and pH. Instead we get only - what pH range do alpha vs beta amylase like. I assume this segment was more useful for a chemist wanting to learn brewing than for a brewer wanting to learn chemistry, and then only because the braukaiser.com theory of mashing material was attached.

As for the exam, well! First off I of course missed the one referring to the arcane babbledygook of what MAY lie behind the mystery of breaking glucose linkages (I did read it several times but couldn't follow; actually wondered if anyone else even read it since there were zero comments or question posted). What REALLY hacked me off was the question: "you are boiling your mash (what the feck? who does that? I know I'm just a countertop guy but, really?) and you get called away only to discover you mash is in full boil; what do you do (check all that apply)?" I select the only possible use for the mess is to make another batch and use it as a decoction. BUT WAIT ... the last selection is ( a funny ha ha joke?) 'go home and cry'. And this is considered a 2nd correct response? So I got that one wrong. Boilsheet! Sunbeech! Moverbucker!

I hope that was the worst we will see. I have learned some interesting stuff overall in the course so not a complete waste of time but this mash segment was pretty bad in my opinion anyway.

i got the go home and cry one wrong too :wow:
BB2
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by BB2 »

EPISODE II
Spock: Captain, our sensors are detecting the presence of an enol group.

Bones: Ha! Look who's talking.

Kirk: Quickly, Sulu, ....

Scotty: Ock, not again.

Kirk: .. ready for alpha ketol rearrangement, execute on my order.

Checkov: Keptin, - something is ... deprotanating, ketol formation now emerging, look there: hydrophilic attack on the hydrogen bond... cis trans epimeric isohumulones directly ahead!

Bones: Speak english, man! Dammit, Jim, no one can ever understand him.

Kirk: Relax, everyone. Its over, nothing to be bitter about.

Scotty: (Groan)