cooler mash tun size?

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

cooler mash tun size?

Post by zorak1066 »

Ok...let's say I want to do an all grain batch that is 2 gallons after the boil...

if I want to use a rectangular cooler as a mash tun, what size would be best? I think palmer said that if your grain bed is not deep enough that your efficiency will suffer.

Would a 5 gallon cylindrical cooler be better?

assume 5 lbs of grain for the mash.

if I was doing brew in a bag, would a 5 gallon pot be large enough for the mash ( about 3 gallons water + 5 lbs of grain? )

thanks for help in advance.
packerduf
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Re: cooler mash tun size?

Post by packerduf »

I think most people find the cylindrical coolers to be the best option, but a rectangular cooler would work just fine. If you already own an appropriate-sized rectangular cooler, then it would be cost effective to just convert that. But, if you have to purchase a cooler anyway, then I would recommend the cylindrical type. The best size really depends on what you plan to brew; low, medium, or high gravity brews.

Generally speaking, your kettle should be about twice the size of your batch size (final volume) for BIABs. I do use my 22-quart kettle for 3-gallon batches and my 44-quart kettle for 6-gallon batches. Again, it will depend on your recipe gravity.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I have a 5-gallon cylindrical cooler mash tun, and while I know I could use it for my 2.5 gallon AG batches, I prefer not to. That's just my personal choice, mostly because I don't want to have to clean it every week. So I do my fivers in it, and do BIAB for my smaller batches.

I have a five-gallon pot and a three-gallon pot, and while it seems to defy logic, I use the smaller pot for my mash and the larger one for the sparge. This is because I learned quickly that about half the mash water gets absorbed by the grain, whereas the sparge water doesn't. Thus, overflow is likely if I add that much wet grain volume to the smaller pot.

I have to question your numbers on your BIAB example, though. Three gallons of water to 5 pounds of grain seems a little high. Usually the ratio is 1.25 quarts per pound. At the most, 1.5 quarts. For five pounds of grain, the most you'd want to use for a mash is about 1.8 gallons. Make up the pre-boil volume difference in the sparge.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I have used up to 7 lbs of grain in my 5-gallon cooler mash tun with no problems. I actually think I can fit even a couple lbs more in there before my efficiency starts to suffer. I make 2.5 gallon batches with it at a ratio of 1.5-1.75 quarts per lb (unless it's a strong Belgian ale where I'll follow the default suggested ratio from BeerSmith at 1.25 qt/lb).
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I regularly use 7 pounds+ grains in my 5 gallon tun. No biggie, and I usually get around 75%efficiency. I almost always use 1.25 quarts per pound. Nothing to it.

Edited to add:

Not that 7 pounds of grain is the upper limit, either. Sunday, I brewed a batch of Pearly Pils, which requires 11 pounds of grain. Not even close to reaching the top.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

I did 12 lbs in my 5 gallon round yesterday. I cut the water to 1.125 quarts/lb and had about 4 inches of room to the top.