I'm Getting Spring Fever.....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

I'm Getting Spring Fever.....

Post by BeerRust »

So I brewed this morning!....... :mow:

It's been a brutally cold winter in the NorthEast, can't wait for some relief!
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: I'm Getting Spring Fever.....

Post by T8rSalad »

I feel your pain but in just the opposite way. Being in Arizona, obviously we catch the summer heat worse than most areas of the country but we can still go out in it and don't have to shovel it.
Does the freezing winters curtail your brewing to almost nothing or can you do lagers moreso than ales with your basements and all? I miss a basement here (raised in Colorado with one) so when I brew most anything it is in a cooler with ice bottles just to maintain low to mid-60's ferm temps. Good fortunes brewing this weekend.

:give:
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Here in the North land we get it both ways; In the winter it's too cold to brew ales without constantly maintaining a proper temp. (I really should learn to do lagers and eliminate the problem.) But then in the summer it's so dang hot we have to use ice packs - or a 'fridge - to keep the temps down.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I do have a basement, so I can get a constant temps most of the year, between 60 - 70. Also during the winter I do get to cold crash in the garage.

But I want to get outside an enjoy some warmer weather too....
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Spring fever.... we got snowed on again. Got to use my tractor/snow blower for a bit, then tore out a bearing in the blower ..... grrrrrrr.... where the hell is spring?????????
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Usually my basement stays between 60-70, so it's perfect ale territory. But this winter was so brutal in the NYC area, I had to ferment in my beer closet upstairs. A little too warm, but not terribly so. Now it's warming up outside (I hope), and I can keep my ales in the basement again. I also do lagers from time to time, but I have a fridge for that.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I used S-04 yeast in this one. I checked in Less than 8 hours in, and there was a Ton of activity!
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

I've cheated myself!

As I've said before; I'm a scotch snob. Well, I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Black as a Christmas gift. Try as I might I can't drink it. So I've been thinking of ways I could mix it or something as I'd hate to see it go totally to waste. A week or so ago I realized I could use it in my bubbler air-lock. So I did on the batch I brewed up yesterday. But now, as I lift the cover off my fermentation chamber, instead of being greeted by the smell of fermenting beer/hops, I'm slapped by the stench of stale scotch.

Oh well. At least I know my yeasties are happy.

Huh. I looked and I looked for this post. I could have sworn I put it in the "What Are You Brewing" thread but here it is. Louie, if you want to move it there I won't mind.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
packerduf
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by packerduf »

I'm getting spring fever too. I no longer brew indoors, and I ferment in my garage via temp-controlled fridges. As a result, I have been limited to brewing lagers during the winter months. Ideally, I'm still a few weeks away from ale weather - but, I'm very much looking forward to it.
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

We usually go from a mild winter to summer pretty quickly though we are actually having a spring this year. But, this weekend will see us get close to or right about 80! I'm not ready for the AC yet.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black