Question about Irish Moss

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

stevenf

Question about Irish Moss

Post by stevenf »

Not sure this is the right spot for this question as it's probably not that advanced but here goes...I guess I just assumed that Irish Moss was added to the boil in its dry form. Being a beginner I have limited experience and have added it in my last few brews in that way. Just measure out the teaspoon and add it with 10 or so minutes left. The other day I was reading an article on fining agents and it described rehydrating the irish moss in a little water anywhere from a few hours to over night. So I'm just wondering if I've been doing it wrong. Thanks If I recall, I read about the rehydrating in the news letter that beersmith sends out.
gwcr

Re: Question about Irish Moss

Post by gwcr »

I use Irish Moss in every brew. Haven't heard of re-hydrating it before, but that doesn't mean it isn't a valid method. I add 1 tsp with 15 minutes to go in the boil (because that's what the instructions on my bottle say). I get very good results that way. Like anything else in brewing, there are many "right" ways to do things. Find the way that works best for you. All the experimenting will give you Beer!!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

I have had good results just by adding the Irish Moss to the hop boil with 10 minutes left, as you describe. It rehydrates quickly that way, ending up with clear beer and no flakes remaining visible at the end of the boil. I'd be concerned about having a big gooey mess from longer rehydration.
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

Thanks guys. Sounds like I've been doing it right. I still get chill haze in mine. Not as bad as it was but I'm still getting it.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

How long do you keep them in the fridge before pouring? A longer cold conditioning time can help ease the chill haze.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

It just depends, mainly on how thirsty I am. I have refrigerated some for a week or more. They don't usually last longer than that.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Not to hijack... how does Irish Moss compare to Whirlfloc? It was my understanding that they accomplish the same thing. Why would you choose one over the other if not for personal preferance?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Whirlfloc is Irish Moss in pill form. Convenience.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
stevenf

Post by stevenf »

I haven't used whirlfloc. Irish moss is what the local shop carries in stock.