What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

philm00x

Re: What's the worst commercial beer you've tasted?

Post by philm00x »

I didn't like Magic Hat #9 from a bottle, but from the tap it was quite tasty. The worst one I've had would have to be Dogfish Head's Festina Peche. I just tasted a ton of sour, not one bit of peach.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

philm00x wrote:I didn't like Magic Hat #9 from a bottle, but from the tap it was quite tasty. The worst one I've had would have to be Dogfish Head's Festina Peche. I just tasted a ton of sour, not one bit of peach.
Damn, I thought it was barely sour at all. It's funny how you can get used to a certain taste over time.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Matth

Post by Matth »

Didn't care for SA Stony Brook Red. There's a brewpub in the center of our state who's signature brew is an IPA with IBUs over 100. I am not a hop head. For me, this brew is like biting a grapefruit rind.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

swenocha wrote:There's some canned amlager that Kroger (I think) carries that was beyond awful... butterscotchy, hot, just bad. Can't remember the name though. There was also that kombucha beer from the beer fest, but I'm not going to pick that since I can't remember the name either. I used to say Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic back in the day, but in recent years I've become big fans of lambics, so I'll bet I wouldn't find that so turrible (tm Charles Barkley) anymore, but I still suspect that Sam's really doesn't know how to make a proper lambic. I think I'll skip the obvious BMC choices. So... hmm... I'm going to say... Magic Hat #9. Pyramid Apricot a close (and similar) second.
I hate the apricot beers too. I don't like the SA white IPA with apricots in it either. I'd rather drink Lattitude 48 over it any day if I was to pick a SA IPA.

RE: the SA Cranbeery Lambic, I do not think of it as a real Lambic. I don't think they use anything but a regular ale yeast in it, and it's simply got the sour/astringent flavors from the cranberries going on. I don't hate it, because I like sour/astringent beers to some extent, but I'd not buy it over a real lambic.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

didnt see Busch anywhere... hmmm. to me it tasted like someone took bad beer, poured half our and filled it with perfume.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

how about a black label? man they were nasty warm or cold
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

:huh: You actually bought one of those? :opps:
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

For me it's gotta be Dale's Pale Ale in cans. Argh it was terrible, first beer I actually bought and never drank.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Many years ago (like over 30) a friend of mine wanted to see how I reacted to a beer. At the time, Heineken or similar was considered premium beer. He peeled off the label and asked me to try a beer. It was ok. Light beer, but good taste. He said it was "Jo Bel' ", pronounced like it was French. Turns out it was Goebel, made by Stroh's under an agreement they had when they bought the brewery (long gone now). It was $3.99 or $4.99 a case in returnable cases that had big deposits on the waxed box itself. I think the guys that bought the Pabst name bought that name too, but it's unlikely to be as cheap or as good.

The BAD beer was from another friend. He thought since Goebel was good and cheap, he'd buy GENERIC beer. This was in the days where stores started selling generic food and the label would actually say "GENERIC" instead of Kroger or Meijer brand. It was freakin awful.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

philm00x wrote:I didn't like Magic Hat #9 from a bottle, but from the tap it was quite tasty. The worst one I've had would have to be Dogfish Head's Festina Peche. I just tasted a ton of sour, not one bit of peach.
I had the same experience with magic hat #9, it was awesome on tap I had. Then I saw in the store and it was disappointing .
k9dude

Post by k9dude »

IDK if you can really call this a commercial beer, but OB (Oriental Brewery) in Korea was some of the worst sludge I have ever had! When I was there 91-92 you could only buy Bud or OB (wow what a choice huh?) in the bars. Problem was these beers were delivered to the bars and left curb side until the bar went out to get them and put them away. So they would set out in the sun for 6 to 8 hrs......talk about skunky beer!! OB cost about $1.50 less than Bud and when your a broke Airman you drink whatever is cheap. Needless to say I learned to like Soju and coke very quickly!!!
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Mmmmmm soju. (I'm an honorary Korean).

Interesting beers listed in here.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Hite is pretty good light beer from Korea... Goes down real good with japchae or bulgogi!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Conditioning
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

For me, it was a beer that I drank in Brazil during Carnival. I had been drinking all day, and bought a can of this Kaiser beer that was slightly warm in the heat. I took a couple of sips, walked away from my group, and vomited. Absolutely disgusting. I've heard that there's this bar somewhere in the US that has this beer in their top 10 of worst beers of the world. Supposedly they take pride in selling the "worst beers in the world."
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Yankeedag wrote::huh: You actually bought one of those? :opps:
no fortunately(?) it was handed to me, so my education cost me nothing. :lol: if you give me a beer i'll always finish it. i'll just chug it so i don't have to taste it so much. i even finished the billy beer, imo it was worse.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe