Pump for wort chiller. Recommendations?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Pump for wort chiller. Recommendations?

Post by jivex5k »

Hey guys, I did a search but couldn't find much.
Well, I need a pump for my wort chiller...because my new apartment's kitchen sink water pressure is incredibly low...
They are "working on it"....

Anyways, getting a pump to pump ice water would work better anyways since I live in FL and the water doesn't get that cold. It was never an issue before because I'd brew extract and top off with cold water so I only had to get it to 100F and the cold water would take it down.

So do you guys have recommendations on a pump? I have a standard 3/8" OD copper tube wort chiller, with a garden hose thread on the end.
I'm not sure what size the vinyl tubing is that connects the GHT though...

Trying to go to home depot or a pet store (aquarium pump) today to get this. Want to boil tomorrow. If I can't get one I'll just try it with my low flow, and if worst comes to worst i can ice bath, but I gotta boil tomorrow.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Pump for wort chiller. Recommendations?

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I got mine at Lowes in the garden center, it is a fountain pump 60-80 GPH, least expensive one they stocked here, pretty sure it was $16.95. Works great for me. :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Awesome, I checked out Home Depot and found this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-150- ... r_nbr=0208

I can get some 1/2 ID tubing while I'm there, though my chiller is 3/8 OD so it's a bit too large, but I think a tight hose clamp will be sufficient to stop any leakage.

I don't see any mention of clamping onto the pump itself, I don't see a barb or anything. I'm probably going to have to get a clamp for that as well.

EDIT fixed link!
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I bought mine at Lowe's it came with an adapter for 3/8 tubing and it was the cheapest one. I don't use any clamps so it's easy to setup. I still run tap water through a prechiller coil in a small cooler filled with ice water until the temperature gets down to 100F first. Then I take the prechiller out of the loop and hook the pump up and push ice water through the cooler.

On a separate note I remove all my kettle hop additions before putting the immersion chiller in and then add a fresh knockout hop addition for aroma hopping. It seems the wort will continue to absorb hop oils until the it gets below 170F and this aroma is said to last longer and taste different than dry hopping.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Here's the setup I got, it's working with no leaks and only clamps are on wort chiller which should come with them.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-250- ... /204670887
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-2-in ... r_nbr=0208

The hose is a bit big but you can get the little clamps around it if you open them as far as possible and squeeze the tube in there.
There's no 3/8 adapter with this pump unfortunately.

Texas Dan

Post by Texas Dan »

I got this one. Has been working good for me.
I circulate the hot water o/p from the chiller into a bucket a couple of times and discard until no longer hot. Then I put the o/p hose into the sink and recirculate cold water using ice cubes or frozen water bottles. Saves a lot of water and chills down in 10-15 minutes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/264-gph-su ... 68395.html
Attachments
P1010006a.jpg
P1010006a.jpg (215.98 KiB) Viewed 795 times
Fermenting:
Lagering: #41-Klosterbier
Conditioning: #40 Ayinger Jahrhundertbier
Drinking: #33-Ayinger Style Hefe, #34-Klosterbier, #35-Special Märzen. #36-Munchener Helles, #37-Fest Bier, #38-Bavarian Hefeweizen, #39-Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Hell