Bumming out over upcoming surgery

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

StatsandBrew

Re: Bumming out over upcoming surgery

Post by StatsandBrew »

One of my bike buds had a hip replaced a few years ago at 62 years of age and within six months he was right back to smoking my butt on all the hills. Great physical condition before hand, positive thoughts and complete devotion to physical therapy seemed to be the keys to his quick recovery. I wish you a quick and complete recovery. May you be smoking your bike buds on the hills soon after!
Drink a salute to William S. Gosset (aka "Student-t"), one of history's most important statisticians and a brewer at Guinness!
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

A 70 year old where I work(ed) just had his hip replaced last month. He's back and walking better than ever. So you might just be surprised after all.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Roger, I hope your surgery goes well, and your therapy/recovery goes smooth. You'll be glad you had it done, I'm sure.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Good luck with da operation!
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Bluejaye »

Best of luck to you. I have to admit, I'd be a little freaked out about that whole "attracts infection" bit myself.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Best wishes Roger. I too have a friend (about 45) that had this done recently and he is recovering and moving quite well. There are things he'll never be able to do again (bend and pick things up a certain way) but the pain relief and freedom was well worth it according to him.

Cheers.
TimeTraveler
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by TimeTraveler »

Best wishes and good luck with the surgery. No surgery is fun. I hope you have a quick recovery.
Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I hope all goes well for you, Roger. And you'll be able to adjust to the changes, I'm sure. It seems overwhelming when you thing of absolutely everything that is going to change. But you'll adjust. I have faith in you. You're a strong individual.

Don't stress over it. Trust your doctors and trust yourself.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
Photon Brewing
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Photon Brewing »

Good Luck. Luck isnt the right word since this is a pretty basic procedure these days. But your in good shape so you'll come through this just fine. It'll make a load of difference. The infection issue really isnt as big a deal as made out to be. Although the dental thing is nothing to play around with. Mouths are freakin nasty and harbor some nasty shit. You'll be up walking around literally the next day with assistance. And out the door shortly thereafter. Good thing your an exercise freak because therapy is usually very minimal if at all for this procedure. Im sure you do plenty of exercise for legs and core/abdomen/back already so you'll do more for your leg than anybody else would. Again, good fortunes.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I hope for the best for you and Ralph, and re: the conical, if spending some $$$ keeps you in better health, then I'd do it too.
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Good luck with your procedure Roger.

A friend of the family's Dad has both of his done about two years ago and he's doing great now!
I wish the same for you!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Best of luck to you roger, I know a few folks who've had this done over 5 years ago and they're all very glad that they did. I don't envy the discomfort the follows any surgery, been there myself, but you'll bounce back pretty quick and be thankful that you got that out of the way.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Roger, the best of luck with the surgery. I have had my left shoulder replaced 10 years ago. I have never once regretted the decision. Yep it is a major pain-in-the-ass at first. It is far better than living in pain and lack of mobility. The best advice I can share is work the hell out of your PT never miss a session (take your pain med before going) and do your exercises as instructed.

~~BobH
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Connie

Post by Connie »

My friend had it done and he said once you get done with the Physical therapy it is well worth it. Hang in there and we will all be praying for you
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

Godspeed on a fast and healthy recovery. You'll be running and riding sooner than you think. Keep the positive attitude and salud to your health, Roger.
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,