white house ale

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

white house ale

Post by woody »

has anyone made this? is it worth buying the kit. is there a clone recipe out there I could make that would be cheaper?
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: white house ale

Post by swenocha »

No need to clone. Recipe from the source... Of course, if you want AG, you'll have to improvise a touch...

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
woody
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by woody »

RIght on man,.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I have made both. Porter is excellent. Ale is good. I bought ingredients and made them myself. I did not use gypsum in the ale recipe. Also, some versions have mistakes in them, including these, or things are out of order or unclear.

Honey Ale:

I used 7.2 lbs of pale LME instead of the LME and DME.
The directions have you use gypsum. I researched it and decided not to.
The directions have you adding KG for 45 minutes, then Fuggles for 1 minute. Then it says add honey for 5 more minutes. This should be changed to KG for 45 minutes, honey and Fuggles for 5 (some versions say 15). I made it with honey for 5 and Fuggles for 1. Next time I will do Fuggles for 5.

Honey Porter:

The recipe is confusing, not specifying the type of bittering hops, just the HBUs. It also has you add them at 45, then 30, then aroma hops at flameoff. Some recipes I found used Nugget hops for the bittering hops, some used Northern. I used Northern for 60 minutes, then Hallertaur for 5.

This recipe has you add the honey for the entire boil, vs. the 5 minutes on the ale.

It also says "black malt". Is that black barley? Or black prinz malt? I used black barley.

The Porter is excellent. I think the ale will be better when I add the aroma hops at 5 instead of 1.

I didn't do secondaries on either.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)