Sour Fest this weekend in Tampa

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Sour Fest this weekend in Tampa

Post by jivex5k »

Can't wait. There's a placed called "Cajun Cafe on the Bayou", it's awesome. They have all kinds of local beer on draft and fantastic cajun food, went there in March for a different beer fest.
It's gonna be awesome, first sour fest I'm going to, I even have some homebrew raspberry Berliner Weisse to bring. They have over 150 different sour beers to try, and we get a plate of food all included for the ticket price of 50 bucks.

Anyways, just excited. If anyone is in the area check it out. http://cajuncafeonthebayou.com/2.html
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Beer-lord

Re: Sour Fest this weekend in Tampa

Post by Beer-lord »

Aw c'mon man! You can't get Louisiana Cuisine in Florida! :lol:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Sounds great, have fun, follow up pictures required. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Wade a minute der...

You mean to tell me dat der is a party der in Floorida...

Wit transplanted cajun food, whatever dat is...

And all da beer is sour...

And day still want $50 for dat?

Wat is dis world coming too?

:whistle:
:lol:
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Not bad. Now record yourself saying it and send us the MP3 file.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Beer-lord wrote:Not bad. Now record yourself saying it and send us the MP3 file.
That'ld be a hoot huh?

:jumpy:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

It actually sounds like a lot of fun... Wish I could be there...

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm puckering up jus thinkin bout dat.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Leave in 2 days, took Friday off. =D
Four of us are going in a rented car and staying in Tampa for the weekend, gonna be an awesome beer trip.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

Wish I could go.. Bout 1-2 miles from work , but I have 10 gal to bottle and get ready to go to Tallahassse for orientation with my daughter at Fl State on Monday.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

Have a great time, Brian! Sounds like it'll be a blast.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

It was awesome. Here are some pics:
Late Start - Jellies and Jams, Best in show IMHO. Not overly sour, but a complete fruit bomb. Late Start doesn't even have a tasting room yet, just some garage brewing and going to events. Really awesome.

Wild Oak Artisan Ales - Good Night and Good Luck, a 17.7% sour stout. Wasn't very sour, but man was it good. Rich and boozy.

Cigar City - 5 beers for 5 Years Tangerine Berliner, and my buddy Mason in the back. Solid beer, can't remember much about it.

Wild Oak Artisan Ales - Olde Ruddy Fool, was pretty damn good. Had mostly a Brett funk with a bit of acetobator.

Rapp Brewing - Key Lime Gose, this was super refreshing and was perfect for the hot festival atmosphere. I'll be making a gose real soon. I took home a growler of their normal Gose as well, it was consumed last night and was damn good.

Angry Chair Brewing - Crockett, this baby was fantastic...like seriously good. Angry Chair is another garage brewery looking to open a tasting room eventually. They will go far with beer this good, it was fruity and sour as hell.

Tangent Brewing - Brett Barrel Tart Saison, this was awesome. A nice change from the huge up front sour, it had mostly a backend funk and was nice and refreshing.

Hanssens Artisanaal - Oude Kriek, yep that brewery name is spelled right lol. This was the only one I didn't really enjoy, it was just too sweet.

Trinity Brewing - Old Growth, was decent, lots of Brett.

Cycle Brewing - Ecto-Cooliner, damned if this wasn't a sour ecto-cooler from back in the day. Really interesting concept that was expertly executed. Cycle is pretty awesome.

Tequesta Brewing - Passionfruit/Jackfruit Sour, this was really solid. Tons of fruit backbone and sour as hell, would love to make something similar.

Gravity Brewlab - Kobra Kai Thai Chili Berliner, this was the beer I expected to dislike but ended up loving. It was somehow balanced, a mix of tart and spice, who knew this would work out so well? Not me, that's for sure.

Cycle Brewing - Berry Best, a berry berliner. It was good, a bit too sweet but I could handle it.

Coppertail Brewing - Bootsy, this was a Saison aged in oak with brett and my god it was good. A nice subtle beer compared to the others. The balance was perfect.

New Belgium - NBB Loves Leopold, this is a sour that was aged in Leopold Brothers Whiskey Barrels. First one of the fest I had and damn it was fantastic. Sour and whiskey....so good.

So that's it for the sour fest itself, but the weekend was filled with even more.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier Dunkel, this was the first beer of the weekend on Friday at lunch. It's all they had since the place we wanted to go wasn't opened yet, but damned if it wasnt good. Rich and hearty.

Green Bench - Spring Bloom, this was a double IPA that was phenomenal. Green Bench was the first brewery we went to on Friday right after lunch. Super piney DIPA, so good...

Green Bench - Stay Dry Stout, this was ok. A bit thin for my tastes but had a lot of roasted malt flavor.

Green Bench - Whitted White IPA, worst one I had and was still decent. Couldn't hold up after that DIPA.

Green Bench - Saison De Banc Noir, this was a unique Saison to say the least. Dark and malty.

Green Room - Hanna Berliner, had this on as a guest tap at Green Bench. Solid no frills berliner, though personally I liked my first homebrew Berliner better.

Rapp Brewing - Gose, we headed to Rapp after Green Bench. This is a solid Gose, refreshing as hell and a bit salty. My buddha Mason and Todd in the back there. Took a growler of this stuff home I liked it so much.

Rapp Brewing - Rapp Bastard, this is a hybrid of a bunch of styles, don't remember which ones though. It was like a dunkel mostly though, and really good.

Cigar City Brewpub - Paulina Pedroso, my god this beer was awesome. We went here for dinner after Green Bench, was rich, chocolately, roasty, my god, a fantastic Brown Ale.

Stone - Imperial Russion Stout, always a classic. This was the bottle we opened when we got to my dad's condo to turn in for the night.

Brian's Backroom Brewery - Heavy Flow, this is my own rapsberry berliner homebrew. We shared it at the condo before the night was over, lots of compliments on it. My dad even liked it which I didn't expect at all.

7venth Sun - Intergalatic Pale Ale, had this the next day before sour fest, pretty light but real hoppy, good stuff.

All in all the best beer weekend I've ever had.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Wow! That's all I can say... Just... Wow!

Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

BigPapaG wrote:Wow! That's all I can say... Just... Wow!

Yeah, what he said.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Inkleg wrote:
BigPapaG wrote:Wow! That's all I can say... Just... Wow!

Yeah, what he said.
+1000

I need a sour fest here. We have beer fests, but folks around here haven't gotten the sour bug so much. Our local sour brewer makes shitty beer.