Plans for the Fourth

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Plans for the Fourth

Post by FedoraDave »

This is an extreme rarity for me -- a 3-day weekend.

My company requires us field technicians to work every other Saturday (and every fifth Saturday, when they occur). My Saturdays off are the first and third Saturdays, and since Independence Day is a Friday this year, it so happens that I have this amazing luxury before me.

Friday is going to be the diciest day, weather-wise. We've got a tropical storm getting in our faces, and last night (Wednesday) I had to drive home through flooded streets and flashing lightning, barely able to see through the deluge. So indoor activities are planned, and that means bottling! I have a small batch of South Ferry Steam Beer that should have been bottled last weekend, but I didn't get to it. So I'll take care of that in the morning. I don't have much else planned for around the house, but maybe I'll watch a movie before we go over to my parents' for dinner and a visit. We don't bother going into town for the fireworks, since we don't really dig crowds, and we can see the fireworks from the end of our street, if we wanted to watch. Besides, the weather may still be uncooperative.

Saturday is the going to be the big day. I already bought a couple racks of baby back ribs, and I can't wait to get the smoker fired up and slow-cook dem bones. (actually, this reminds me that part of Friday should be spent prepping the ribs; I gotta remove the silver skin and get the rub on them)

Sunday I'll brew a quick extract batch of Saison d'etre, since it's probably going to be a good temperature range for that style. And also dread the upcoming 6-day work week.

What are your plans for the nation's birthday?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Beer-lord

Re: Plans for the Fourth

Post by Beer-lord »

I actually hope to sleep a little late then tinker around the house and likely get a short workout in the gym then a small BBQ and some beer.
Like you, I'm brewing Sunday and have nothing else at all planned that day so I can take all the time I need.

Happy 4th everyone!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

the fourth will be dodging rain/wind while prepping for my step daughters graduation party saturday. No plans for Sunday, but I can see a few brews in my future.

Enjoy the weekend, be safe...
radonc73
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by radonc73 »

RED BUDDDDD MX National in MI. It is a yearly dirtbike race that has become a family tradition. Too bad I cann't bring any glass bottles so it is either Tap-A-Draft or Coors light. I have to drive so it will be mostly water anyway which is pretty much what Coors is but it is the "family"beer.
http://redbudmx.com/
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Friday - watching it rain (due to Arthur), and trying to keep the three kids from going stir-crazy. NOT looking forward to it.

Saturday - SWMBO's BFF and the BFF's family are coming to visit. Swimming in the pool, homebrews, grilling burgers and dogs. Then maybe off to see some fireworks at night. Looking forward to it.

Sunday - brewing day. :hammer: Partial mash California Common is on the agenda. I plan to enter this in the New England Homebrew Competition this fall, so I hope it goes smoothly and is representative of my typical brewing process, so that I can get useful feedback. Also planning to keep an eye on the Pocono 500 IndyCar race on TV (NBCSN), as best I can.
Last edited by Crazy Climber on Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

And let's not forget the Coney Island hot dog eating contest on ESPN... it grosses out my wife, she won't watch... I do every couple of years to see a new record...
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Going to start installing the kitchen bases beginning with the sink base as swmbo wanted a corner sink. So most of tomorrow is going to be rerouting the plumbing and rewiring to move 2 plugs , so they'll be above the cabinets. As we'll be installing 2 bases where none are right now , also I'll be installing a vent hood in a kitchen where none has ever been. I realize the pros could do it quicker, but I'm in no hurry. Better slow and done right, than fast and screwed up. (man the lifeboats, we're taking on water) Hopefully I'll be finished by Sat night and be able to brew on Sunday.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

We have BBQ invites tomorrow and Saturday, tomorrow's might be cancelled. Probably sailing Sunday, with two other couples. Not a brewing weekend.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

jimjohson wrote:Going to start installing the kitchen bases beginning with the sink base as swmbo wanted a corner sink. So most of tomorrow is going to be rerouting the plumbing and rewiring to move 2 plugs , so they'll be above the cabinets. As we'll be installing 2 bases where none are right now , also I'll be installing a vent hood in a kitchen where none has ever been. I realize the pros could do it quicker, but I'm in no hurry. Better slow and done right, than fast and screwed up. (man the lifeboats, we're taking on water) Hopefully I'll be finished by Sat night and be able to brew on Sunday.
Corner sink base sounds like a challenge. Yeah, corners are quite often 'not square'. Yesterday evening I was reading the Fine Homebuilding Kitchen Planning Guide 2014, and mostly read a great article titled: 'Installing Semicustom Cabinets' by Isaak Mester. A lot of really useful tips on installing, including many 'trick of the trade' ideas that the writer has learned over his 28 years in the business.

I'll probably BBQ on Friday, venture to an outlook down the street from my house, and watch all the fireworks from neighborhoods in the valley & the next hill on the other side of the valley at sunset. A lot of people spend a lot of $ on fireworks in my area, all legal. The super big mortar shells are available from one of several local Native American tribal stores, other regular size shells are available at local temporary fireworks stands.
Gotta go back to work Saturday. I'm expecting to hear fireworks pretty much all night. At least our cats don't freak out.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I screwed up our plans. Pfffft.
SomeGuyBrewing
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by SomeGuyBrewing »

Testing out my new 1 gallon carboy and brewing up a Russian Imperial Stout. First bottle won't be drank until Oct/Nov, depending on how that goes the rest probably won't see the light of the fridge until January. Doing 1 gallon because not many people I drink with like RIS and although I'm a fan they are not exactly sessionable so 8-10 bottles should do me well.

Then headed up to Santa Barbara for the day. Gonna hit a couple of the wineries I belong to and Figueroa Brewing, maybe Telegraph brewing too if I'm in the mood. Grab a nice dinner at a spot on the beach then head home.
“Good things happen to those who hustle.” - Chuck Noll
See what SomeGuy is brewing
Drinking:
Drago - FES
Fool's Gold Pale Ale
Maple Apple Cider
Wheats The Deal With Hops?
The Blonde One

Bottled/Kegged/Conditioning:

Fermenting:
Honey Crisp IPA

On Deck:
Golden Stout, Recipe inspired by Aztec Brewery

Competitions:
The Blonde One - Silver Medal - Thirsty Classic 2016

Never Forget
Amber Alert, Drunkin Pumpkin 2013, Tryin' To Get A Nut - Brown Ale, Wheat You Talkin' Bout Willis?, Good Twin, Blacker the Berry the Sweeter the Porter, New World...Altbier, Smoked Sour(ish), Oh YEAAH!!! - Orange Wheat, Evil Twin, Hanger 12 - OITNB, The Gose & The Darkness, First Harvest, Ghost Pumpkin, Grapefruit IPA, Murphy Brown Porter, Thanksgiving Blonde
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Seven years ago LOML and I declared our dependence to each other on Independence Day. That way we always get our anniversary off at work and I'm not likely to forget what day it falls on. :p Just got back from the meat store where I picked up a tri-tip roast - seasoned - and I'm gonna burn it on the grill tomorrow. Then we'll go down to the even smaller town than our home small town to participate (as fire-fighters) in their July Fourth Parade and finish off the day watching the fire-works displays.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

SWMBO and I are working. Desserts for about 1000
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Been cleaning out the in-laws house. Tomorrow is the Virgin garage sale. Been tagging stuff for two days...

Have all the pieces for my temp controller. May try to assemble it in downtime. Also have a bunch of truck things to add including power tailgate lock, lower/slower, and more.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

Working 2nd shift for next 7 days...... :(

Hope everyone has a safe and happy fourth. :flag: