What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by The_Professor »

I'm f***ing around with "Sumerian Beer".

I have a 1/2 gallon batch going for a week now that had a crudely mashed wort from about 2 lbs of 2 row (OG about 1.074) that had a short boil with 3/4 oz of thyme added in the last 5 min which (when cooled) was poured over a lacto starter made from equal parts raw and malted barley in a light (1 tsp to 2 cups H20) brine which had fermented for a week. The gravity has gone down to about 1.042 which would be about 4.25 ABV but I am not sure that gravity shows any difference between lactic acid or alcohol produced from the sugar.

Today I started another starter. This time attempting to get yeast going from raw honey. I just need to pick up a clay cooker which I can use to "bake" "bread" made from 2 row at about 155. That would be "beer bread" "fermented with honey". (Right?) :)
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Bottled 5 gallons of Blue Moon - my son did it (his batch) and I supervised. He's may call it Grad School Moon.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Beer-lord wrote:
BlackDuck wrote:
Inkleg wrote:Remember to plan your beer brewing ahead for the upcoming seasons.
It's always IPA season isn't it? Actually, my next one will be an American Brown Ale...ready in time to watch Johnny and the Browns.
But do you have an outfit to go with that?
The kilt goes with all seasons. Floor vents are WONDERFUL! :o
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Brewed up a batch of Double Black IPA today.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The_Professor wrote:I am not sure that gravity shows any difference between lactic acid or alcohol produced from the sugar.
Lactic acid increases specific gravity of water. IE a commercial 88% lactic acid solution in water has a specific gravity of something along the lines of 1.2ish, not 1.0 or <. So it is not the same as alcohol, which would have a lower SG then water and would be under 1.0 if that strong. IE it would be 0.79ish if it was pure alcohol.

Hopefully that helps?

Anyways, I bottled my Belgian Session IPA, but I think it would be more accurately described as somewhat intense "Session Grand Cru" if there is such a thing based on how the sample tasted.
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

mashani wrote:
The_Professor wrote:I am not sure that gravity shows any difference between lactic acid or alcohol produced from the sugar.
Lactic acid increases specific gravity of water. IE a commercial 88% lactic acid solution in water has a specific gravity of something along the lines of 1.2ish, not 1.0 or <. So it is not the same as alcohol, which would have a lower SG then water and would be under 1.0 if that strong. IE it would be 0.79ish if it was pure alcohol.

Hopefully that helps?

Anyways, I bottled my Belgian Session IPA, but I think it would be more accurately described as somewhat intense "Session Grand Cru" if there is such a thing based on how the sample tasted.
Heh, heh, heh...
I posted the calculated gravities just because that's what everyone is most used to, but the actual readings were with my refractometer. Now the refractometer measures sugar content although any secondary readings are adjusted for alcohol. So I guess I'm still not sure What I am calling my original brix (17.75) was of the wort before pouring it through the lactic starter. I did not remeasure it after adding the starter. A week later the brix was 13.5. Something is happening. :)
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Kegged a batch of Belgo ale; a clone of the defunct New Belgium Belgian IPA that was distributed a few years ago. I added a second dose of dry hop to this one; the sample I tasted (while checking the gravity) was really outstanding, with the centennial hops really showing up prominently. I decided to kick it up one more notch, so I threw in some more Amarillo hops & began to force carbonate.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Brewing up a Weizen today that I'm calling "Weizen Up!"

Mosty Wheat with a pound of Pilsen and quarter pound of CaraFoam.

Using Wyeast 3068 and Hallertau Mittlefrau for hops.

Should come in at about 5.0 ABV with about 18 IBU's.

Yum!

:cool:
Root Skier
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Root Skier »

Bottled up my Tripel last night. OG 1.084 FG 1.015. It came out to exactly 9%. It's sweet, lots of citrus. It also tastes very green and a bit hot. I think 3-4 months bottle conditioning will mellow this out nicely just in time for winter.

Roots Brewing
Drinking
3. MB Wild Wheat ~6.5%
4. MB Girls & Boysenberries ~7%
5. MB El Diablo Blanco 8.1% 'Hop Jump' 
8. Wheat Pale Ale (1st 5g brew, 7.5%)
9. Hard Apple Cider (12.1%)
Conditioning
11. Winter Ale (1.070 OG)
Fermenting
Mr. Frankenale
Secondary
(empty)
 Planning
12. Blackberry Wheat

Follow Root's Brewing on Untapp'd.
https://untappd.com/RootsBrewing
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Bottled a case of South Ferry Steam Beer this morning. Gonna brew a simple extract on Sunday that I'm calling Saison D'etre. Temps in my basement have hit the mid-70s with the recent gawdawful heat wave we've had, so I figured a saison would be a good choice. A little light DME, a little wheat DME, a little Saaz, a little crushed coriander seed. Should be a nice, late-summer refresher.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Brewed a batch of Amarillo Pale Ale today, a bit of hops for bittering, a bit for flavor, and a mountain of Amarillo whole leaf hops for the zero minute addition! One of my brewing co-workers gifted me me with a bunch more hops a couple of days ago.
image.jpg
image.jpg (37.41 KiB) Viewed 2018 times
Took a walk by the river after brewing, then off to a BBQ event this evening... Cheers!
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Going to take a stab at Persephone's Tears D34THSPAWN's recipe, that blackberry wheat sounds good.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I am in the middle of the hop boil of Fedora Dave's 100 Years War IPA. The recipe was so simple I couldn't resist trying it. Also any beer Dave likes has to be good.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Kegged 5.5 gallon DAWG LB PALE ALE, with a dry hop of half oz Amarillo on Thursday.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Stuck to my schedule! Collected wort from a 5 gallon sour mash Saturday. This is the longest part of the whole process so the hard part is done for that batch. Sunday I brewed another berliner which is currently in the pot under a heat lamp. This will be souring until Saturday, it's one more day than I'd like to sour it but collecting wort on a Friday after work isn't going to happen without some serious motivation.
I plan on collecting the wort and transferring it onto the yeast cake left from the batch currently fermenting as it will be finished and time to rack that to the secondary for fruiting.
Then Sunday I'm brewing a whole new batch.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman