The No Post Post

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: The No Post Post

Post by BlackDuck »

Inkleg wrote:10 gallons of a 1.040 Centennial Blonde in my 15 gallon pot.
Damn you Jeff....now I'm thinking I should replace my 10 gallon pot with a 15 gallon pot. :x
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Inkleg wrote:
Crazy Climber wrote:You'se guys ain't helpin'! :D
You think that's no help, let me throw this out there.

It takes just as long to do a 5 gallon BIAB batch as it does 2.5. Soooooooo..........with a 15 gallon pot you could double our output and make any size beer you wanted. I've mashed 24lbs of grain and made a 5 gallon 1.105 OG RIS and 10 gallons of a 1.040 Centennial Blonde in my 15 gallon pot.

Inkleg disclaimer: I may or may not be offering the kind of help people are looking for. :whistle: :p
[CC with hands over ears and eyes closed]: "La, la, la....trying really, REALLY hard to not listen to you!"
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

The temptation to go big is always lurking....
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I haven't brewed much this summer like I had planned outside of helping a friend getting started on some MB batches, BUT I got 3 lined up (5 gal extracts with some partial mini in a bag). I'm starting with a Oktoberfest Lager and I got my cooler cleaned out tonight and turned on. I wish I could have started this one last month but it just didn't happen. I should have enough time though. Then I'm going to do a Pumpkin, I've never did one and it never sounded good to me, but I had some SA in the fall pack and it was good and one of my daughters has been asking me to do a Pumpkin for a couple years so I'm doing one. Then I got another saison I'd like to get in while the weather is still warm (hot) I'd like another primary, I may use my bucket to get these done...... :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Finally got hot here. Last 2 days we have seen temps of 96 degrees. Been getting some nice long motobike rides in, bout damn time!! I've been way to busy to brew, between riding, yard work, honey-do list, life... been busy. I'm going to have to get something started soon, hate to go dry again... that was agonizing! Next couple weeks I will be in lumberjack mode, got a poop load of oak trees to come down for firewood. Sure wish I had a portable saw mill, what a waste of good wood-working oak. Something else to invest in someday... and the list grows.....
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Yankeedag wrote:The temptation to go big is always lurking....
Picked up another used kegerator Thursday, so far 2 and still have not hit the cost of a new one, along with it was a 15.5 G. Sanke keg. The thoughts of 10-15 gallon batches have been dancing thru my head all weekend, do Sanke to Corny transfers for tailgating at the Browns games.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote:Finally got hot here. Last 2 days we have seen temps of 96 degrees. Been getting some nice long motobike rides in, bout damn time!!.
I've been riding to work when I can, but it seems like it rains every other day this summer. I don't so much not like riding in the rain as how much I hate cleaning the bike up afterwords, but I also don't like the foggy mornings at 6 o'clock on the way to work but coming home in the afternoon is a nice ride.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

My weight's been creeping up on me the past few months. I was doing really well, too, but then work got busy, I got stressed, and caught a bad case of the effits, so I reverted to the bad eating habits that got me in trouble in the first place; uncontrolled snacking in the evening.

But I don't want to find myself back over 200 pounds. I want to lose the weight I re-gained, and then some. I don't want to feel fat and uncomfortable the way I have been feeling the past three or four months (15 pounds really makes a difference!), and I especially don't want to weigh this much when my daughter gets married next year.

Time to man up, stay strong, exercise my discipline, and do what I gotta do. Last night I made a list of what I'm going to snack on every night of the week. Monday, popcorn; Tuesday, cheese and crackers, etc. And I'm not going to have my snack until after 8:00 pm. If I want to nibble on something before then, I'll have some fruit. Maybe this sounds severe, but this approach works for me for my daytime eating, and you can't enforce rules that don't exist. It's just discipline and sticking with it.

I can do this.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

FedoraDave wrote:And I'm not going to have my snack until after 8:00 pm.

I can do this.
You CAN do it.
I thought eating/snacking shortly before bed was not a good idea though. Your body slows down for sleep mode and doesn't fully metabolize the food. Which then just adds to the weight issue. But if your eating at 8:30 and going to bed at midnight, then it might not matter really.

Good luck!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Had a wicked storm last night. House/outbuildings are ok, but a couple trees did not fare to well. O-well, time to start working on next years firewood anywayz. One heck of a wicked lightning storm, followed by hail, 80mpg winds and driving rain. We lost power for bout 10 hours, no biggie but was fixin to head to store for ice, fridge was starting to worry us. At one point, the storm got quiet, which made us nervous. Was still daylight out enough we could see the clouds. Weird looking clouds, have y'all ever seen clouds blowing in a big circle? We thought for sure we were had, this was in the field in front of the house, maybe 50 yards from us. It was neat to watch, should have grabbed the camera but my wife was freaking out big time. Sooo, spent the next hour in the shelter. Did not drop to the ground, thank goodness. I'm going to earn a couple beers today with all the clean-up I have to do. Of coarse, the loving wife left for work this morn, telling me to not work too hard... yea... LOL Going to be a LONG day, only got about 3 hours sleep last night. zzzzzzzzz, no wait... get to work, I hear the whip getting cracked....
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Glad your all safe F.I.T. You did say your were going to be in lumberjack mode the next couple weeks anyway!
:oops:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

FedoraDave wrote: It's just discipline and sticking with it.
I can do this.
You are absolutely correct, Dave. I got into those bad eating habits fighting off an infection in the digestive tract a year and a half ago and it snowballed. Since the first of the year, with discipline and persistence I have lost 32 lbs and still going. I know you can do it!
:fedora: :clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

FedoraDave wrote:My weight's been creeping up on me the past few months. I was doing really well, too, but then work got busy, I got stressed, and caught a bad case of the effits, so I reverted to the bad eating habits that got me in trouble in the first place; uncontrolled snacking in the evening.

But I don't want to find myself back over 200 pounds. I want to lose the weight I re-gained, and then some. I don't want to feel fat and uncomfortable the way I have been feeling the past three or four months (15 pounds really makes a difference!), and I especially don't want to weigh this much when my daughter gets married next year.

Time to man up, stay strong, exercise my discipline, and do what I gotta do. Last night I made a list of what I'm going to snack on every night of the week. Monday, popcorn; Tuesday, cheese and crackers, etc. And I'm not going to have my snack until after 8:00 pm. If I want to nibble on something before then, I'll have some fruit. Maybe this sounds severe, but this approach works for me for my daytime eating, and you can't enforce rules that don't exist. It's just discipline and sticking with it.

I can do this.
I have the same problem ... but with me the main culprit is beer. I weighed 175-180 my entire adult life until I started brewing in early 2010 when I was 55. I shot up to 200 within a year, and have to fight to keep it from going higher.
I drink a lot of beer. Now that I'm AG BIAB with a 6 keg inventory, it's almost impossible to do ... but ... I am goint to ... go on the wagon mid week for a while. I don't like brewing when it's in the 80's anyway.

I just have to finish this keg .... :jumpy:
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

BlackDuck wrote:
FedoraDave wrote:And I'm not going to have my snack until after 8:00 pm.

I can do this.
You CAN do it.
I thought eating/snacking shortly before bed was not a good idea though. Your body slows down for sleep mode and doesn't fully metabolize the food. Which then just adds to the weight issue. But if your eating at 8:30 and going to bed at midnight, then it might not matter really.

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the encouragement. And it's not true that eating in the evening doesn't allow for weight loss. Your body metabolism doesn't slow down that much. When I began my weight loss efforts, I still snacked and drank beer in the evening, and lost over 50 pounds before gaining 15 of it back by snacking too much. Calories in have to be lower than calories expended, and I was upscrewing that ratio until I finally got my head on straight and decided to put on my Big Boy pants and get back on the wagon.

I know people who have had great success losing weight, and they do the bulk of their eating in the evening. It's all about the caloric ratio.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Glad you're okay, Froze. Sounds like a wicked storm.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer