Getting a deeper red from Raspberries.

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Getting a deeper red from Raspberries.

Post by jivex5k »

I was recently at a bottle share and had the pleasure of trying The Bruery - Berazzled.
It looks like this:

Now THAT is the red color I am going for in mine, yet they come out pink:

What's the best way to get a deeper hue? I used 4.5lbs of raspberries on 5 gallons of beer for a week. Should I let it sit longer? More raspberries?
Also these were fresh raspberries, frozen and then thawed.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Getting a deeper red from Raspberries.

Post by mashani »

This is going to sound weird, but a little bit of beet juice will do it. And it will not hurt the beer / you won't taste it.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

mashani wrote:This is going to sound weird, but a little bit of beet juice will do it. And it will not hurt the beer / you won't taste it.
Interesting. Another person suggested adding a small amount of roasted malts to the mash.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Maybe like 1-2oz, but but I would suggest one of the dehusked special roasts or midnight wheat perhaps, so you do not get any roasty flavors.

Some 80L would redden it up, but I don't know how that will play against the sour.

Reason I suggested beet juice is that it's going to pretty much get eaten by yeast/bugs and leave nothing but the color behind.
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

I can't think of the brewery that does it but does you beet juice as an ingredient. At work we use beet juice in red velvet cake. Cocoa powder & red food coloring tend to dry and add a bitter taste to foods. Beet juice will not. As Mashani said you won't taste it.
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Another interesting option might be clarified purple carrot juice. Depends on the hue you want.