DIY Home Brew Controller ?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: DIY Home Brew Controller ?

Post by JohnSant »

I have a coozie tape to the side of fermenter and probe between it and tank, seems to work well for me.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I ended up folding a facecloth into a small square and taping it over the probe and was very surprised how quickly it sensed the proper temp of the liquid in the LBK. Worked great.

Only issue I have is that I'm using a non-frost-free freezer as a fermentation chamber (at least in the warm summer months) and the coils (under each shelf) are coated with condensation and drip everywhere. LBK lids have water on them, entire LBK is wet, but it shouldn't be an issue despite being annoying. I thought about putting a thin sheet of plastic under the coils to get the water to run to the back, but that would cut the airflow in the freezer.

My plan was to use this in the June - early September timeframe, and then revert back to the basement floor at home (freezer is at in-laws), and likely I will do that.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I have the same problem with my bottle fridge that is on top of the kegerator. Took me awhile to stop freaking out when I stepped in a puddle of what I thought was beer as thought the tap line had ruptured.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Had the same problem with my small fridge just over a week ago when I put my first LBK's in. Thought I sprung a leak for sure, that or over fermentation. Upon further investigation noticed the coils were condensing and dripping all over the tanks, couldn't do much but place a towel under the coils and hope for the best.
Mr Fixit

Post by Mr Fixit »

I was also looking into the Inkbird brand controller for doing Ales during winter.
Another option other than the light/ paint can if you're fearful of light is a reptile ceramic heater
http://www.amazon.com/Floureon-Ceramic- ... mic+heater

or heat pad you can stick on the inside of the fermentor.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTher ... c+heat+pad