Plate Chiller Versus Counter Flow Chiller

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Plate Chiller Versus Counter Flow Chiller

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

russki wrote:
ScrewyBrewer wrote: I'm going to have to pick up a few more quick connects and figure out how to rig up a whirlpool in my kettle too now. It sounds like a good idea, maybe even use a pond pump to circulate cold water through it for the last ten minutes.
This is how I whirlpool:

A bit of copper tubing and fittings and about 15 min with a torch... It just hangs over the side of the pot.
Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Now I'm off to scour the internet for some plastic disconnects that match the ones that shipped with my system.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Mine aren't plastic but I used Brewhardware.com for mine. They have specific ones that fit on plate chillers too which I bought. Everything I use now has a quick disconnect on it. I LOVE THEM!!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

The system I bought from High Gravity system came with 1/2" Polysulfone high flow quick disconnects that's how I ended up with plastic instead of stainless steel. They don't have an auto shut off feature which means they won't clog up easily with trub, Midwest Supply sells only the auto shut off quick disconnects something to take note of. I agree quick disconnects are definitely the way to go.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'