What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: What are you brewing/bottling?

Post by Ibasterd »

Using up some hops and some yeast. Brewing a Hoppy Saision.
Attachments
rps20140915_163813.jpg
rps20140915_163813.jpg (147.32 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Just checked FG today for my Kings Porter. Was at 1.015. OG was 1.058. We are ready to Keg!! First beer I will be kegging and really looking forward to it. Plan to keg it during the week. Maybe today after work since the wife has a DR appointment. Anyways, after I keg it I will hit it with some CO2 and let it sit for another week longer before I put it on tap. Really happy with how this one turned out. Tastes just as good, if not better, than the original. Such great roasted and chocolate flavors. I am pumped to get this on tap!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

First keg - sweet. If you can, grab a video of the first pull for the First Pour thread!
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

While watching my Packers make a comeback on Sunday, I happened to notice the keg of CHAOS IPA was getting a tad light. Since I put the new keg system in I have yet to have more than one keg on tap due to them being polished off. So, Monday I snuck out of the company picnic a little early (errr, read that as I pretty much grabbed a burger so I was seen and took off) so I could stop by AIH to pick up the ingredients for Black F-Rye Day IPA since I still have a ton of Cascade to burn. Rememberd I had some Zythos that ironically I bought from them on Black Friday, so was a relatively inexpensive beer given the hops bill. Took the extract route and got that done in time to clean the kitchen from the sweet potato gnocchi mess I made the night before and avoid the wrath of SWMBO. Then kegged up the Centennial Blonde that was in the secondary which got put on gas, and got all my brewing equipment cleaned and put away. It was like I had never brewed, so shhhhhhh dont say anything....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

It was like I had never brewed, so shhhhhhh dont say anything....
Send me beer or I will rat you out!!! :muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha:
Sibling Brewers
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Brewbirds wrote:
It was like I had never brewed, so shhhhhhh dont say anything....
Send me beer or I will rat you out!!! :muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha:
D'oh!!!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

So I cleaned and kegged my first beer today. It was a chore only because I haven't cleaned these kegs since I got them so I cleaned them out and scrubbed them down with PBR, rinsed out and than scrubbed down with Starsan. One keg is still full with the star san while the other keg is just clean with the lid on.

Since everything was outside I just grabbed the carboy and brought it outside. While getting my auto siphon cleaned out the damn flippy thing at the bottom (the part that closes so you can get the siphon going) snapped out, rendering the auth siphon useless. I did it the old fashion way like I was stealing gas! Suck... suck... suck.... ah its in my mout!! mmmmmmnmm that is tasty! Oh yea, i'm kegging!

Put the hose in the keg and let'er rip. Had a little over 5 gallons left, which was the plan so I wouldn't worry about getting trub on the keg. Siphoned that last bit of crap out in to a pot and boiled some water to wash the yeast. That is cooling now.

Anyways, since this was my first time kegging I was a bit nervous about it. Pretty straight forward though. Kegged, capped and put it on CO2 at 10psi to get the carbing going. I am going to warm carb it for now, about another week, than I will clean out the Kegerator and refit the lines and through it in the keg next weekend. It was really tasty during the sample so I am really looking forward to this on tap.
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Hey Dan, two questions for you:
1) Did you purge the oxygen from the kegs? Meaning once filled, did you pull the pressure relief a few times to replace the oxygen with CO2?

2) Why the low pressure for warm carbing? Assuming a 65-degree room 10psi only gives you ~1.4 volumes of CO2. Assuming you are going to finish carbing later in the cold you can crank that u pa bit depending on your desired carb level (see chart here).

You won't overcarb by going higher on CO2 right now since the temp is higher two. Once you reach equilibrium at the desired level of carb it will hold. Then when you put in the fridge you can drop the pressure on the regulator to the corresponding volume and be set.

Apologies if you knew all of this. Since it was your first time kegging I thought I would offer this up in case you didn't.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I agree.....purge a few times and set to at least 20.
In the future, if you plan on not being able to get the keg into the kegerator right away, you can naturally carb the keg while it's at room temperature. Then, when you get the kegerator space, you can always set it at serving pressure (or lower) and you're beer will be ready after it's down to serving temps.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I had a good day today, bottled my Pumpkin Ale and did a taste test and another taste test and a couple more, Dam that came out good. Pumpkin and spice but not overwhelming and it came out a nice yellow (thought it would be more orange) and really clear, Whirlfloc Tabs really help. Only got 50 12 oz though from a 5 gal batch. Racked my Saison and tasted that as well and I'm going to name this one "Funky Farm house Ale" There are so many different flavors in this one that I can't describe but it's all good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Kealia wrote:Hey Dan, two questions for you:
1) Did you purge the oxygen from the kegs? Meaning once filled, did you pull the pressure relief a few times to replace the oxygen with CO2?

2) Why the low pressure for warm carbing? Assuming a 65-degree room 10psi only gives you ~1.4 volumes of CO2. Assuming you are going to finish carbing later in the cold you can crank that u pa bit depending on your desired carb level (see chart here).

You won't overcarb by going higher on CO2 right now since the temp is higher two. Once you reach equilibrium at the desired level of carb it will hold. Then when you put in the fridge you can drop the pressure on the regulator to the corresponding volume and be set.

Apologies if you knew all of this. Since it was your first time kegging I thought I would offer this up in case you didn't.
Thanks. My kegerator will be set to 12psi. I am not looking for it to carb quick. Just figured I would keep the pressure on it since I had the spare CO2 tank. I did purge it 5-6 or 10 times to make sure I was good. I was actually just going to warm condition it for another 10 days before throwing it in the kegerator but since I had the extra CO2 tank and i'm not in a hurry to get it in the kegerator I figured I would just set the pressure to a low #.

This weekend I need to climb in to the kegerator and clean it out. It is kind of gross in there and I also think I will get some new tubing to replace what is in there. For some reason this guy is using plain clear tubing. My understanding was that there is specific tubing that should be used for the gas. Let me know what you use for the gas lines. Since they aren't all that expensive I figured it would be worth the investment to replace them all.
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Hmmmm, I think this is on the list for my next brew: "Poo Brew." And if I am not mistaken, my beer store that also carries a ton of different coffee beans also carries these beans as well.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/09/16/ ... =sec&or=on
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Saturday I'll be kegging a batch for the first time. Fittingly, it'll be the beer I've put my name on: FedoraDave's American Ale. Sunday I'll be brewing a batch of another namesake beer, 2 Daves Irish Red, which I put together with Knightmare during a Recipe Collaboration Exchange, and it turned out so well, I decided to keep it as a House Beer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

I'll be brewing up my Middletown Pale Ale tomorrow.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

Kegged a batch of Smooth Rye'd IPA, dry-hopped a batch of Double Black IPA, and brewing a batch of Smooth Rye'd IPA this morning.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel