Over Carbonated

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

tomtravelino

Over Carbonated

Post by tomtravelino »

I cracked open the first bottle of my Blonde Rye and holy carbonation. I was hoping it might have been a trub bottle or one near the end so when I opened the second it too was over carbonated. It is not to the point of bottle bombs, luckily. I cannot pour slow enough or get the whole beer into a glass without multiple glasses or stoping(big no no). I follow the same process I always have, femented for 3 week and carb for 4 weeks so highly doubtful it was not done fermenting yet. If I were to guess I over carbonated for the style since for the most part I have been using the same amount of corn sugar for all my batches 3/4 cup.

The beer tastes great and I am wondering if there is anything I can do. Will opening the bottle letting it sit for a while then pouring help? I thought about opening a few putting them in a pitcher and pouring from here.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Over Carbonated

Post by Gymrat »

How long has it been in the fridge?
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

I am trying an extended time in the fridge too, but in both the cases I mentioned 2-3 days.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Just curious if you took a hydrometer reading? Could it have stuck on you?
Sibling Brewers
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

I did but don't have the details with me they are in my notebook at home. I can tell you it was a Anniversary kit from Austin Brew supply and from knowledge it was pretty close to target OG and FG readings.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

HMMMM that is very interesting because our Blondes were the AHS kit also. Now understand I'm not knocking them in any way, they are my LHBS and I get all my stuff there now but...

We did about eight of those Blondes with single hop additions first and then changed the bittering hop only in a couple of the later batches.

The reason I asked about the hydro. We hit all of our gravity readings and bottle primed every single batch with a mini sugar cube but one out of all the rest was way over carbed.

Pretty weird. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

tomtravelino wrote:If I were to guess I over carbonated for the style since for the most part I have been using the same amount of corn sugar for all my batches 3/4 cup.
I'm not sure I follow what you mean here - the beer doesn't know what style it is so that shouldn't matter. If you always use the same amount of priming sugar you should always get the same results.
Was there ANYTHING different that you can think of? Did you stir less? Bottle faster? Change your sanitizing procedure? Anything that comes to mind?
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Since you used the same amount of corn sugar as you always do, maybe your bottling volume was less. Did you get the same number of bottles?
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

An infection is another possibility. Not all infections will make your beer taste like crap. If you were at a stable FG, used the same amount of priming sugar. Then some little beastie ate the sugars that the yeast could not ferment. A common technique used in brewing the ABV brews is to introduce a different yeast (most commonly wine and/or champagne) and/or bacteria
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
tomtravelino

Post by tomtravelino »

You know I didn't consider final volume, I ended up with 47 bottles which is 1 or 2 less than normal. The only other thing that changed was it was a new batch of corn sugar I had gotten from my lhbs. I desperately try to stay as consistent as possible. It has only been 2 bottles so who knows how the rest will come out, could be perfect.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Overcarbing is generally the result of one of 2 things:

(A) Too much fermentable sugar left in the beer at the time of bottling caused by:
(1) Beer was bottled before fermentation was complete
(2) Too much priming sugar added to each bottle or batch prime solution

(B) Infection with wild yeast or bacteria
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

all my beer kits..both mb and northern.. ive used carbonation drops/tabs and every bottle has been extra fizzy. tons of tiny bubbles no matter how long in the fridge. i dont mind. i like fizzy beer.
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

Tons of tiny bubbles do add a nice touch to beer!