Levitation vs. Levitation

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Levitation vs. Levitation

Post by RedBEERd »

Sadly, it's not racer 5....it's a MUCH darker beer than racer (which I have sitting in my fridge to compare thankfully) but its maltier and 4 shades more amber. It's not aromatic like I like but it's got decent body and carb. It's not bad at all, just not Racer 5. that used to be my GO TO beer when I first go HOP LOVE but sadly, I've evolved and I need MORE HOPS.

I'm not really sure what I'd do to improve it but I think it needs more dry hopping.

Again, it's really decent quality...in fact, the bombers I bottled actually fared better than the keg...not sure why.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:I don't get the 56 IBU's in my bottled version either and that's why I keg hopped. It truly saved this beer from the drain!
I don't grok the saved it from the drain part? Wouldn't an underhopped version of this just end up tasting something like an English Bitter or ESB? Even if that's not what I intended, I wouldn't dump that, I'd quaff it after going running or cycling.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

It has too much of a yeasty flavor with a slight burnt odor that seemed to mostly go away in the bottles I had sent out and kept. Maybe leaving the keg alone for a few weeks would have helped but the little hops I added took it closer to Levitation than without the hops. Not sure I could have ever passed it off as Bitter or an ESB though. I definitely wouldn't have dumped it soon but if I hadn't hopped it, after 30 days or so if it hadn't improved, it likely wouldn't and might have been pipe mud. :)
After all these years, I still can't buy enough patience. Though I am very happy with it now.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I now have two bottles of the real thing in the fridge.

But I also have a bad cold which means I can't smell or taste anything so they will have to wait. :(
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have a bottle as well and it's much better than any of ours I'm sorry to say though all the one's I've tasted so far have been excellent beers in their own right. That's the great thing......even if they don't come off as the real thing, they're still awesome and we made them so it's even more awesome(r)!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I'm at 850 ft above sea level doing my side by as I type this.
So for both Ron's and Paul's reviews are pretty spot on. More aroma with Paul's but it was a foamer. As it settled in the glass the colors were pretty darn close. My beer is just clean/crisp/blah where Paul's has some complexity going on with it. Checking my notes, I fermented at 64* which is at the lower end of 007, so next time I'll bring it up to 68-70* to see what change that makes. Amarillo burps are fantastic from both :p, but over all I like Paul's more. :clink:
Lev vs Lev.JPG
Lev vs Lev.JPG (102.69 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Since I keg and only want a few bottles to send out, I 've been using carb drops. I think I'll just retire those and go back to corn sugar per bottle. It's a pain to break out the beer gun for 3 bottles and I'm lazy.
Sorry about the gushers. I'll fix that soon.
Odd that the bottles I kept here didn't gush. They were actually carbed just fine. Maybe sending them before they have finished carbing is the problem.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black