danstar bry-97 yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

danstar bry-97 yeast

Post by losman26 »

Has anyone used this? I used it in a pale Ale with an OG of 1.057 and in 6 days already attenuated down to 1.011. That is 80%, and the lag-time was probably 24 hours to even start.While I'm not sure, if I would have made any difference between that and the US-5, but I have to say the taste for my sample was really good. I picture it being amazing after dry hopping with a heavy dose of Galaxy, Amarillo and Citra. Also, I fermented at 64-65F the whole time using my Williams Brewing thermo-well for Carboys, and my Thermaworks wire probe inserted. Overall, this yeast kind of reminds me of the SD Super Yeast- a high attenuator and fast finisher.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: danstar bry-97 yeast

Post by Gymrat »

I quit using S 05. I have used BRY 97 in half a dozen brews now. I haven't tried rehydrating it yet. My last batch had bubbles in the air lock 6 hours after pitching the yeast. It does attenuate very well and even gives me a good clean white wheat beer.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

I used it in 2 batches so far. For the first batch, I slightly under-pitched without re-hydrating, and it tasted fruity a week ago. I'm gonna take another sample tomorrow to see where it is at. For the second batch, I re-hydrated two packs, and it tastes incredibly clean. My last US-5 batch had some off-flavors, so I'm guessing that the BRY-97 might be my go to yeast in the future. Really reminds me of the San Diego super Yeast.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Moved topic to the Yeast forum.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I think I am going to have to try the BRY-97 sometime. That last few batches I made with US-05 seemed inconsistent.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Bringing this thread back from the dead to try to get some more opinions on this yeast. My go to yeast has always been US-05, and I planned on using that in the 6G Twisted Monk refill from BrewDemon. Alas, the LHBS was closed and my other source only had BRY-97. I had read about long lag times for this yeast to get started, but mine was really long. Pitched Saturday night at 64* after re-hydrating per package instructions. Still no activity in the airlock this morning (Tuesday). So this has gone almost 60 hours without any visible activity. Decided to pop the lid off this morning and found the smallest of krausen layers starting to form. Hopefully, it will start to take off now, but I am ready with some backup yeast if needed.

Has anyone else had super long lag times with BRY-97? What has your experience been like?

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I just kegged a pale ale using this yeast. I re-hydrated this and pitched into 68 degree wort, I had non stop airlock activity start about 14 hrs in. I pitched into 1.061 wort and it finished at 1.006, but also lowered my mash from 156 to 153 on this beer. I liked what the sample tasted like and can't wait to try once carbonated. Used Amarillo and Nelson Sauvin for the hops.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I used it for a maris otter/centinniel SMaSH. I pitched at 62f and around 24 hours in it started to show some signs of fermentation but it was close 72 hours before a real kreusen started to appear. It was peobably another 24 hours before it was really rocking and rolling.

The batch tasted pretty good when it was done but it had me a bitnervous to begin with.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've had 24-48 hour lag time (before krausen, not before trub formation) with that yeast too, but it's always then gone nuts and had good attenuation and made good beer.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Thanks guys. Seems like this one isn't too consistent coming out of the gate, but by all accounts finishes well. Hopefully they will be partying tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I used half a pack once, don't remember how it worked out. I think there's a thread on HBT with negative feedback. Maybe I'll give it another try.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

gwcr wrote:Bringing this thread back from the dead to try to get some more opinions on this yeast. My go to yeast has always been US-05, and I planned on using that in the 6G Twisted Monk refill from BrewDemon. Alas, the LHBS was closed and my other source only had BRY-97. I had read about long lag times for this yeast to get started, but mine was really long. Pitched Saturday night at 64* after re-hydrating per package instructions. Still no activity in the airlock this morning (Tuesday). So this has gone almost 60 hours without any visible activity. Decided to pop the lid off this morning and found the smallest of krausen layers starting to form. Hopefully, it will start to take off now, but I am ready with some backup yeast if needed.

Has anyone else had super long lag times with BRY-97? What has your experience been like?
I have had up to 72 hours lag time one time with this yeast. That being said, try agitating your fermenter a bit. Sometimes this will roust the yeast into action.
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I use BRY-97 in my Summer Wheat beer (Oberon clone) and I've also used it in a few other brews and I've had pretty good success with it. Despite DanStar's claim that it's a "Quick start and vigorous fermentation" yeast it does seem to take it's time to get started, as Gymrat said "up to 72 hours".
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

And 72 hours it is. Got home last night to find the airlock starting to bubble. This morning it sounds like a percolator.

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

And even after all that lag time I have never picked up any off flavors from it.