What's My Line?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: What's My Line?

Post by Beer-lord »

Thanks to both of you guys for your service to our country......and I really mean that!!!!!!! It's appreciated more than you will ever know.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
truckndad
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by truckndad »

Ditto ^^^^^
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I've been a truck and heavy equipment mechanic for 38 years and am working on 31 years at my present Job at Chautauqua County Highway Dept. here in western NY. I plan on retiring next fall. I also have a small fruit and vegetable farm and roadside farm stand for over 20 years, but not doing as much with it right now. Both of these things have helped me in brewing, with my mechanical experience and fabricating I've built a lot of brew tools, and with my farming I know about the importance of proper PH and mixing of ingredients as in field spraying and fertilizers.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

Me currently a pastry chef. Before that CNC Programer, machinist, chef. How that translates to brewing.... Repeatability
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

I like this thread, we get to know a little more about our fellow borg members. I knew Dave is in the pest control business and went to collage about 14 miles from me, heck our paths could have crossed back then at the local bars we all hung out at. Had a little idea what Beerlord did as to some of his post, I knew Truckndad and FIT drove truck as with 'dag. knew H-Bob is a Chef, Phil's in the tire business, Gymrat had something to do with the railroad. I didn't know about Steve. Did you race at Norwalk? I dragged raced in the late '80s mostly Lowville, PA and Lancaster, NY but have been to Norwalk, OH. too. Also used to sand drag a Jeep in Norwalk and Lisbon, OH. in the late '70s early '80s. I figured Ibasterd was into graphic/web design.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

I'm a salesman; windows, doors, & lumber. I don't think any of my job tasks relate to the brewing process, but my love of beer & brewing is encouraged by my beer brewing co-workers & customers I interact with daily. We trade home brews & local craft brews, and talk about beer. I have always enjoyed cooking and I always enjoy brewing up some beer.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Thank you vets for your service!

I almost joined a seminary. But that didn't happen for various reasons.

So instead I am all things computer. Software developer, Windows, Mac, iOS (iThings), Android, and Web. Mostly web and mobile these days. Also a trained SQL Server DBA. And also a trained Windows and Sun (Unix) Network Engineer/Hardware geek. Basically an old IT dude that has done everything and is always adapting to change. I filled any and all roles necessary at previous employer, now I'm independent consultant for whatever ails you.

Just don't tell me you can't print or the copier is broken. I don't give a #*$&!

How does that relate to brewing, I dunno. Perhaps my ability to wrangle Frankenbier comes from figuring out ways to hack hardware to get it running again until a proper fix can be made. Software development is all about figuring out how to make a bunch of pieces turn into a whole in a way, so I guess that has some relation too.

I've though about opening a bread, beer, wine, mead, cheese, kraut, sausage, etc. brewpub kind of thing (IE all things on the menu involve something naturally fermented), but the amount of time that would need to be invested vs. the return... its always bubbled up into my brain as a thought like "self... it would be fun for a few months... then it would start to suck..." and has kept me from perusing it. I'd consider it if others wanted to team up, but on my own, I don't think so... I know others in the industry (food/catering/bars/etc) and I know just how much work it is to remain viable... and it's a lot.

That said if I lived in the middle ages, I'd be running a roadside tavern, or be living simply, farming, making bread, beer and cheese in an abbey or such. They are both things I could and would do as an alternative career in a world without electricity.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I've spent the past 20 years working in the information systems area for small and large global corporations. I've always been interested in engineering type work like circuit board design, computer programming and networking where 'most times' using logical thinking will make your projects successful. Photography has been an interest of mine for many years too, including designing and building a working dark room. Maybe that's where I related to brewing beer the most, mixing chemicals at specific temperatures and then bathing the negatives and prints for a set amount of time....I never thought of that connection before until now.

These days while still working full time I've been writing lots of brewing articles, having the time of my life brewing some amazingly good tasting beers and visiting lots of craft breweries to sample their beers and see their brewing setups. I'm currently in the process of revamping my website so that it's look and feel works with an online store feature that's in the works too.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

berryman wrote:I like this thread, we get to know a little more about our fellow borg members. I didn't know about Steve. Did you race at Norwalk? I dragged raced in the late '80s mostly Lowville, PA and Lancaster, NY but have been to Norwalk, OH. too.
Started racing at Thompson Drag Raceway, when I started working for the guys in the Machine shop in the mid 80's, where we did the packaging machines, got them back into racing and we raced IHRA Top Sportsmen, and NHRA and IHRA Pro Stock from 88-94. We also at that time setup an Engine Shop, Accurate Engineering, (another area where attention to detail and research comes into play with my brewing) and did engine for the local guys and raced locally at Norwalk, Dragway 42 and Thompson.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I been through a variety of careers. I am currently an automotive engineer which means (I like to think at least) I pay attention to the details. I love putting recipes together. I've also been a buyer which means I like finding bargains and doing things as inexpensively as possible although I do lust for new toys. As a previous account manager I know that it is all in the presentation so am able to get BMC people to try - and sometimes even like - my concoctions as they step out of their comfort zone. However, all this pales in comparison to a potential career change I have been contemplating so if all goes well will be able to add more to this story.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

I've had more jobs in my youth then you could shake a stick at. I worked as a boat motor mechanic, Linesman, Retail sales for major appliances, Security guard, bouncer, process server and a few more that I can't remember off the top of my head, but over the last 20+ years I've been in healthcare. Started as an EMT, then started working as an EMT/Nurse Tech in a hospital ER and did that for about 13 years. All that time I had an interest in computers and started teaching myself basic programing, html, and website design. Then about 9 years ago my hospital decided to change over the an EMR (Electronic Medical Records) system and I was asked if I would be interested in being a trainer for the system. I accepted and have been doing hospital EMR IT ever since. I have no idea how any of that relates to brewing beer other then I like to try new things. That and I like drinking beer.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

computer operations mgr..former operator. in a past life however I was probably a researcher. the only thing I use from work is the ability to sit for hours at a time paying careful attention to a multitude of things at the same time.. and ruining my leg veins. well I don't use that in my 'process' but...

my 'down times' I spend coming up with recipes..converting them..scaling them... trying to match water profiles to the all grain recipes... researching techniques, data on hops and grains... and trying to pay it forward by helping other newbies here and on mr beer when I can. when I brew the details are all important.. getting everything just so.. ordered...
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

One Vet to another (all the Vets on the BORG), Hope things are going well for you?
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

What's My Line?

Post by Banjo-guy »

I've spent the last 25 years working in the pits of Broadway, studios and TV once in a while. Professional musicians have to be essentially note perfect 100% of the time and you have to be very quick to adapt and learn new music.

I think the creativity combined with the exacting nature of brewing are similar to being a musician. It took me years to master the rudiments of music to the point where as Dizzy Gillispie used to say "You can forget all of that and just play."
I had a nerve injury that has basically ended my music career and I am applying my creative energy and need to keep learning into brewing. Learning to brew reminds me of learning to play an instrument.
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

Thanks as well to all of our Veterans. I am a Medical Technologist, which means I work in a Hospital Laboratory or private setting in years past. I am responsible for providing your clinician with the results and answers they need to make appropriate treatment decisions. I specialize in Chemistry and Toxicology (drugs). These have influenced my brewing by the exactness my job requires and the thought process of finding new things to detect or find. I like mixing stuff...bubble fiss....boom oops LOL.. Brewing and wine making is a relaxing rewarding hobby. Met many great people.