high grav beer with long ferment time..

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

high grav beer with long ferment time..

Post by zorak1066 »

if I let a high grav beer sit in a secondary for 2 months after a month in the primary..

at bottling / priming due I need to add a grain or two of fresh yeast to the bottles?

is there enough yeast still alive after 3 months to carb?

I was thinking of using notty to ferment..
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: high grav beer with long ferment time..

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

It won't hurt to try using a little more yeast, although I've only force carbonated beer conditioning that long before. The high alcohol and long yeast dormancy time makes me think the beer will be undercarbed without some help.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: high grav beer with long ferment time..

Post by mashani »

I'd personally add yeast, especially if the time in the secondary was at the lower end of the yeasts temperature range. Others might say you don't need to, but that's really a combination of yeast specific behavior as well as time - and temperature even. But Nottingham is highly flocculent, and it's pretty much all going to be dropped out at that point I think regardless of temperature.

It won't hurt to do it in any case.