apple cider

Talk about your mead, cider, peary or anything else that doesn't fit in the other places!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

apple cider

Post by monsteroyd »

Hey all,

Got some batches bottled yesterday, and decided to make something for thanksgiving. So I pickd up a couple of gallons of Apple Juice at Costco, no preservatives. I was thinking of what to use for sugar to get the gravity up. I normally use Honey or light brown sugar, but I saw I had a couple of frozen apple juice concentrates, so they were chosen.

I Boiled 1 quart of water, and at flame out, I added 8 oz of lactose and the 2 cans of frozen concentrate. I put one gallon of the juice in the fermenter, added the quart of lactose/concentrate, and topped off with the remaining gallon of concentrate. The og came out at 1.055 which was exactly what I was shooting for. Hydrated a couple packs of Pasteur Cuvee, and its in the Fermentator.

I hope this has some good apple flavor. Has anyone ever used apple concentrate as sugar? I got the idea, because about the only way to do a cider in Beersmith is to treat the juice as sugar, so the can of concentrate came out to 29g per serving and 6 servings per can or 174 grams of sugar.

Will update in about 7 weeks with the result.

Monty
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: apple cider

Post by duff »

I just used cider concentrate last night in a batch that I made. I just used 2 gallons of cider and 1 can of concentrate. It came out to a gravity of 1.052. I chose to try Mangrove Jack's M44 California Ale Yeast.

The must tasted good but we'll have to see what it tastes like in the end.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Wow Great minds think alike and at the same time! :cool:

Monty
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

Well I'm not sure I'd include myself in the great minds part.

Also I've been meaning to ask is your bike a ST1300?
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yep. It's the fast one, 2003 Silver. It weighs a little less than all the rest.

Monty
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I'm still ridinga CBR1000f with a wing rack but it's over 90k miles now so I have been dreaming about a replacement. The ST1300 is on the top of the list.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

I love mine, although the stock seat is not the best. I have Russel Day Long's and that made the bike a keeper.

Monty
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

Any update on your cider monsteroyd?

Mine got a little extra aging time in the fermenter due to me being out of town most weekends to check up on my dad after a quadruple bypass. Tomorrow I have a block of time set aside to get it bottled. Hopefully 2.5 months isn't too long on they yeast. I am thinking of carbonating half of the bottles and leaving the other half uncarbed to see what difference it makes.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yeah came out too dry. I think next time I will use a full pound of lactose.

Monty