To move or not to move... a brewers dilema ...

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

To move or not to move... a brewers dilema ...

Post by Brewbirds »

Okay guys who've moved----or anyone else who wants to chime in :D

It took a very long time to build up my bottle collection since we got obsessed with brewing and I'm really tempted to take my GLASS with me.

I know it sounds dumb at first look but I've got 14 cases of sorted, de-labeled and boxed bottles that I OCD' over while we were here and brewing.
move bottles 001.JPG
move bottles 001.JPG (49.4 KiB) Viewed 909 times
We weighed them in at 12+ pounds per case which BB2 calls six dollars per case per pound to hall from the mover estimates. It will cost a lot more to buy new cases from the LHBS ( we won't be able to spend on craft beer until we get out of the rental and into the perm. rez.)

They are packed great for sitting in the garage but putting them on a moving truck and not paying for glass shards to arrive.

Suggestions?????
Sibling Brewers
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: To move or not to move... a brewers dilema ...

Post by alb »

Well, those boxes are made for transport, aren’t they? I mean the distributors ship in them, I don’t see why you couldn’t. But I’ve never moved my bottles, so I’m just guessing.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Alb has a good point. You could also add some packing material if you're really concerned about it. Even crumpled up newspaper would provide a little bit of a buffer.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

When I moved, I only had maybe 2 cases worth of bottles to take with me but I had a box big enough to put them all in. The were a mix and match of bottles of varying sizes. I drove from California to Texas and the only packaging I had to protect the bottles was clothes. Mostly shirts and sweaters, which gave them some cushion. All the bottles survived just fine on that long trip.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Stronger boxes would help too. Check craigslist for plastic milk crates.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Even if some break, it'll cut down the expense of buying bottles. Imo better to buy 2 or 3 cases than all 14.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Long move, part with them. Just think about all the fun/joy you will have starting your collection again, all the free bottles you will accumulate while enjoying more of your favorite craft brews! I drug mine along when we moved, but it was only 70 miles, they were all full of homebrew. I now have 13-14 cases or more sitting in my brew room wasting space as I now keg. Have not bottled in a few years. Toss them is my vote, IMHO. Last but least, I say, do what makes you happy with them.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Movers charge by weight. Do the math. Mine was $.20 per pound. Bottles are light. Move them.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

RickBeer wrote:Movers charge by weight. Do the math. Mine was $.20 per pound. Bottles are light. Move them.
What a scam then. How do you know how much a move is going to cost? I am guessing though that you would Rick as I have to bet that you have already weighed everything in your house "just in case."

Birdie, I would not worry about them breaking them. I would be more worried about TVs, China, glassware, and all that stuff. If they cant move a case of bottles without breaking them I would find other movers. FYI we have been getting ready to up and move (subject of another thread when I have time) and a good chunk of my empties have been cleaned and put in the attic. I started my "collection" while still using PETs and a case of bombers my parents had so I had a little time to get things going for the pipeline. Even with mostly kegging now, I dread thinking about peeling all those goshdarned labels so mine are going with me no matter what.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Moving across state lines is regulated. You get binding estimates "not to exceed". They weight truck before and after loading (or after loading and after unloading). If it weighs more, you win, if less, you pay that. Mine netted to around $.20 per pound. Scrap wood stayed. A friend got a pickup full of stuff.

DaYooper, you should leave most of your stuff and start fresh. .. :lol:
Last edited by RickBeer on Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Waayull... :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're boxed & I've gotten the same yes/no answers from the movers that I got here so maybe the thing to do is see what kind of mood the driver is in when he gets here.

I think I'll make plans to A.) Find someone to take them on short notice; and B.) Butter up the Driver with breakfast and my winning smile and see where that gets us. Hoping that he passes through our area often the promise of some brewskies might help. ;) ;) ;)

Any locals who want to come grab them at the last minute sign on now! :)
Sibling Brewers
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

All I can do is guess, but I like the idea of moving them and even if half of the break and have to be replaced, which I seriously doubt, it's still better than replacing ALL of them.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

put them in your trunk.. move them yourself.. unless youre moving cross country. I got a large sterilite container that I use as a fermentation chiller box. I shoved all my brewing stuff into it, taped the hell out of it and had movers move it.

or

rent a small uhaul truck for a day at about 20 bux. load it up with the stuff you are concerned about paying for moving.. move it youself. you can usually drop off uhaul trucks anywhere.. just fill it up first with gas.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Or you could just send them to me for proper disposal along with your bench capper, which is just going to add more weight to your move.

:thanks:

:jumpy:
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I know I tossed at least 1,200 clean delabeled bottles in the recycling bins before we moved and I'm still regretting it. It's funny how one's priorities can change when faced with short timetables and lots of things to do at once. Luckily for me I know a lot of beer drinkers, including myself and I was able to get back up into the 500 bottle range again. If you have the room to store your collection and can move the bottles yourself, do it. If it's not worth it then throw a house warming beer party and ask folks to bring the empties they've been saving for you.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'