I deserve a homebrew because....

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: I deserve a homebrew because....

Post by mashani »

@Beer Lord, @John Sand:

This first video is in Russian, just skip forward to about 1:45 in and watch for a while and it will show you what fast classic style looks like as a "whole", you will see them start with the standard technique (except they are running) and then switch to a double pole once they get up to speed. Nordic Track simulates only the style these guys use to start and to climb hills (see about 3 minutes in), using it on the flats is not fast enough, double polling or double polling with kicks is much faster on flats and when going down. They are basically running as fast as they can up the hills using it - I run up hills like that too when I'm skiing classic style - place I go around here has a 1/2 mile hill I run up like that - cranks the heart rate right up there really quick, almost instantly it no longer feels cold outside). These guys are going about as fast as you can go classic style. Try to get your legs moving that fast on the Nordic track, and you'll burn a hella lot of calories I bet.

The ones below are in English and show some of the various skate/freestyle techniques and a kick double pole for classic style.

This is the classic kick double pole. It's not as killer on you to do this as the full double pole technique that you see them doing most of the time in the video above and nearly as fast when done right. There are other ways of doing this too. This is my normal way of cruising along on classic skis when I'm not hill climbing. I'll do full double pole on slight downhill sections, and will tuck and just use step turns on big downhills (they do that in the Russian video above).

This one shows the hill climbing "gear" of skate style skiing:

This one shows what amounts to "high gear" in skate. At around 1 minute in you can get a sense of how fast they are moving. It's fast.

The slowmo bits will show you just how much the core is involved in the polling and in initiating the weight transfer between skiis.

The one below is the skate technique I use most of the time myself, which is similar to the above except with 2 kicks per double pole. For whatever reason this seems more natural a motion to me then the above which I find much more tricky to pull off without falling on my face at some point. Watch they guy they put in the shaded box. If you look at some of the other people they are using the technique in the above video with a pole for every kick. As you can see this way isn't really slower, it's just different, it's a matter of what seems comfortable to you.

The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

If this "I deserve a homebrew because..." thread needs an "obvious" list. Mark all that apply before drinking that beer.

[ ] I brewed beer
[ ] I bottled or kegged beer
[ ] I racked beer to secondary
[ ] I checked the gravity of fermenting beer
[ ] I did a taste test of fermenting beer
[ ] I bought new beer making equipment
[ ] I bought new beer drinking equipment
[ ] I worked on a beer recipe
[ ] I read article(s) about beer for research
[ ] I bought items for the bill of my next beer
[ ] I almost did one of these today but probably will tomorrow
Last edited by The_Professor on Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Very few posts in this thread have anything to do with that list, but if we want to be picky about it:

The day I rode the bike, [x ] I worked on a beer recipe.

Today, [x] I bottled or kegged beer. And [x] I did a taste test of fermenting beer, a brown ale which is going to be bottled soon.

And also today I did my 3x a week "dog jog" (fartlek intervals while "walking" whatever dogs I have around here), basically a mix of walking, jogging, and sprinting. Mostly on wet grass with muddy ground so the calorie estimate below is at least 100 too low due to it being based on the idea that running is done on hard surfaces that don't suck up energy.
IMG_0116.png
IMG_0116.png (15.09 KiB) Viewed 1077 times
Which means I need to [x] drink some homebrew to add some calories to my diet. Which I am in the process of doing.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Very wry post, Professor. Here's my OP in this thread:
FedoraDave wrote:Here's a thread to explain why you deserve a homebrew.

Of course, you can always have a homebrew, but when you feel like you really deserve one, it makes it taste better.

Anyway, I'll begin.

I deserve a homebrew because I had to change a flat tire after my first stop this morning. It was in the 30s.

Yeah, I deserve a homebrew for that.
We can always have a homebrew, but really deserving one because we're feeling pummeled by The Hammering Fist of Life is another matter. Or because we've accomplished something, since having a homebrew can be (and should be) celebratory. Or, as Mashani has recently posted, because your body needs the hydration and the calories after a vigorous cardio workout.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

does getting my lard butt in and out of a car count as vigorous cardio workout???? if so i'll drink to that!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Who are you calling "Lard-Butt"?! And you can't get me out of the car, I like it. Unless you lure me out with a beer. And cookies. Yeah.
:)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

how about that long walk to refill my beer(next room), that count?
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I spent a grueling morning brewing a batch of PacTiki Pale Ale, after which I drove to the LHBS for more ingredients.

If that doesn't burn calories and make me worthy of a homebrew, I don't know what does.

...well, okay, maybe cross-country skiing.... Or splitting a cord of firewood.... Or wrestling a grizzly bear....

Okay, what I did amounts to squat, but I'm havin' a homebrew anyway!
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I've taken two dogs for a walk, but that's not why I deserve a home brew. I am now sitting in the front yard with Willow my oldest. Her back knees are bad and can't always make the walk. So when I get back, her and I go sit in the front yard, she says it works for her.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I put the baby's crib together piece by piece. It has a built in changing table too so it's big. Took me a long time, and I'm pooped. Also I deserve one because I went to the LHBS to figure out what all I needed to start kegging and what it would cost and it's gonna take some homebrew to help soothe that pain!
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Inkleg wrote:I've taken two dogs for a walk, but that's not why I deserve a home brew. I am now sitting in the front yard with Willow my oldest. Her back knees are bad and can't always make the walk. So when I get back, her and I go sit in the front yard, she says it works for her.
That's well deserving of a homebrew.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

philm00x wrote:I put the baby's crib together piece by piece. It has a built in changing table too so it's big. Took me a long time, and I'm pooped. Also I deserve one because I went to the LHBS to figure out what all I needed to start kegging and what it would cost and it's gonna take some homebrew to help soothe that pain!
Having been there recently, I can commiserate with that pain, Phil. It's a large investment, but I'm already finding that it's well worth it, if only because I don't have to bottle two complete cases of beer. It's much easier to rack to a keg! I still bottle my 2.5 batches, but that's a walk in the park, really.

Buy the components bit by bit, and do the build yourself (or get your brother and his friend to do it, the way I did). It'll take longer, but it won't be a chunk of money all at once. And again, it'll be worth it.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

mashani wrote:
Inkleg wrote:I've taken two dogs for a walk, but that's not why I deserve a home brew. I am now sitting in the front yard with Willow my oldest. Her back knees are bad and can't always make the walk. So when I get back, her and I go sit in the front yard, she says it works for her.
That's well deserving of a homebrew.
It is, indeed. :fedora: Salute :fedora:
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

Because I've been on 12 hrs since July 1, alot of them 6 day weeks, with no end in sight, and I finally have two four
day weekends back to back! :hammer:

I know there are plenty out there without work, and We're extremely thankful, but I'm in a daze most of the time. Overkill!

Good lord knows I need the rest, but I'm so far behind on my homework! I hope SWMBO remembers
who I am!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Because all three of these in the pic are presents I opened this morning and have to try them out
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419521537.020802.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419521537.020802.jpg (186.24 KiB) Viewed 999 times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison