The Hobbit. The Battle Of The Five Armies

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

The Hobbit. The Battle Of The Five Armies

Post by Chuck N »

LOML took me out to see this one last night. We went to a small-town theater not far from where we live so we didn't have to put up with all the geeks and brats that attend them in the larger city in the other direction. So we didn't get to see it in 3D but that doesn't matter to me.

But I'm just going to tell you that if you're even remotely interested in the Tolkien books and you've seen the first two of these movies then you MUST go see this one. It is and INCREDIBLE movie and a FABULOUS end to the series. Jackson took quite a bit of artistic license with this series of movies. Adding a lot of stuff that wasn't told in the book but some of which was insinuated in other books (The Silmarilian) But, MAN! did he do a fantastic job on this one IMO.

I HIGHLY recommend this movie.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
Beer-lord

Re: The Hobbit. The Battle Of The Five Armies

Post by Beer-lord »

Funny, I've read that it was slow and boring though I do plan to see if anyway since I grew up on those books.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Great to hear a good review of this movie, as we plan to go see it over Christmas break with the family. Like BL, the "professional" reviews I read weren't very favorable (although I tend to enjoy the movies that the reviewers don't like anyway...). Thanks for the good vibes on the final LOTR chapter Chuck. Will need to pop the first two movies in a few days before we go to really get into the mood.
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Now when they are all released on dvd I'll get to see it. Hearing problem (tinnitus) I need the CC just to know what everybody's saying. Add to that the shear volume used in theaters (and concerts for that matter) makes my ears sound like a broken speaker...buzz, buzz, buzz. I have not seen a movie in a theater since they released "Fellowship of the Ring". Good thing I had re-read it just before it's release, at least I wasn't depending on a 30 year old memory of reading the books.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Jim they are all on DVD except the one that was just released in theaters. These days it usually takes 4 months from the theater release to hit the stores in DVD form. I generally wait for the DVD myself. I have a nice theater in my basement and it is nice being able to control my environment, pause the movie to go to the bathroom, not to mention sitting 5 feet from my kegorator.

Paul a lot of people feel all of these movies move to slow. Those of us who read the books really appreciate them. I have the entire collection and like to sit and watch them about once a year.
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

The Theaters refuse to put the movie on hold when I gotta take a leak, so I normally wait until the DVD comes out... cost the same for the DVD's as it does hitting the movie house after all is said and done. I'll wait until they come out with the Directors All in One DVD pack.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

I didn't really feel the same way as you Chuck. While I really enjoy all the movies that Peter Jackson has done in relation to LOTR and The Hobbit, I found this trilogy to lack depth. At the end of the trilogy I found that I still didn't know all the dwarfs names and even very little about them. I found there to be a lack of connection to those characters. I found some of the cinematic scenes to be great but others I found a little too far fetched (if that can even make sense in a trilogy as this). For example, Legolas jumping across the broken bridge or even the barrels rolling down the river in the Desolation of Smaug, especially the portion when one barrel with the fat dwarf comes out of the water and rolls next to the river for ever before ending up right back in line.

It might just be me with this trilogy, who knows. I did enjoy it overall but I think some of the scenes were taken a bit too far. In some cases less is more for me.
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm hoping to go see this tomorrow. I've seen the rest in theaters so it seems like I should. I've liked some better than others, but what can you expect from a series of 6 movies, right?
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

The wife and I just got back from seeing this on basically the last night its showing in this area (may be a few over the weekend here and there).

We liked it as I have always loved the scenery of this since the LOTR trilogy....I still want to see NZ before I die.

It was good and I'd recommend it but its not the best of the 6 nor something I'd say is the best thing I've ever seen but I don't regret a minute of seeing it. I've never really read the books so I'm not deep enough to discuss all the underlying stuff but it was worth it to me.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Thanks for the bump, I forgot about this. I actually enjoyed this one as much (if not more) than I did FOTR, which I thought previously was the best one of the series. Maybe it was knowing it was the last one and it tied things together for me, or maybe because it was quicker paced than some of the other ones. But, I enjoyed it.

This has always been the best summary of the LOTR trilogy (NOT SAFE FOR WORK - language):

There are longer clips available, but they only get more vulgar. :whistle:
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

Awesome summary video there. Just awesome.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Sidetrack: I love Kevin Smith movies and hear that there is going to be a Clerks 3!