Colder than a brass toilet seat

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Colder than a brass toilet seat

Post by FedoraDave »

We've had a run of really frigid weather in my neck of the woods this week. My basement (aka fermenting chamber) has been getting colder and colder by the day, and I've been checking the batch I brewed on Sunday every morning and evening. The temp strip was reading in the low 60s, and I could see yeast churning slowly. I had a healthy krausen, so I wasn't worried. But yesterday the temperature outside was in the teens, with wind chills dropping it even lower, and the temp strip read around 58, and it looked like things were sort of in suspended animation.

I'm wondering if I should bring the carboy upstairs and put it in the beer closet, just to make sure the yeast can finish the job. I have no idea how long this cold spell is going to last.

Thoughts?
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Colder than a brass toilet seat

Post by zorak1066 »

cant you put fermenter on a heating pad.. plug the heating pad into a Johnson control thingy...set it for desired ambient temp.. insert or tape sensor to fermenter? any time fermenter temp drops heating pad will come on and warm it?

you could put fermenter in a water bath with an aquarium heater. hook that up to a Johnson control thing with a sensor in the water bath. have the water level match the beer level in the fermenter...

or just move it up to a warmer clime.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Frankly, I think it would just be easier to schlep it upstairs. Which I think I'll do before I leave for work this morning.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Have three pails fermenting in my taproom/computer room right now Have the t/stat set for 68 in the house, this room stays about 66 or so on that setting and the temp strips are all staying at 64/65, high krausen was around 68, 1 has S-04 the other two have BRY-97 yeast.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I move mine around. On the basement floor is coolest, then on a table, then next to the heater, then in the kitchen next to the baseboard. That gives me range of 58-68. I just found a new spot: the spare room attic is 41. Cold Crash!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Right. Difference between the floor and a table, or shelf, can be a few degrees. Mashani used to talk about his shelving where they moved things up or down as needed.

http://beerborg.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ture#p7856

Basement on a bookshelf in a corner. It has 4 shelves, with a temperature gradient of about 8 degrees from top to bottom, more in the winter. I just pick the shelf that has the temps closest to what I want for any given beer, and then move the keg around if I want to raise or lower the temps later.

Low tech, but it works, and I just brew beers that are appropriate for my seasonal temperature. Which is fine for me since I like all types of beer.
Last edited by RickBeer on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

King Of Cheap here...

I've told you all about my "fermentation chamber". Just a bead-board box that I made to fit over my five gallon bucket fermenter. Well the temps around here get down-right chilly - 7 below zero when I a woke this morning. So I had gone to one of the Home Improvement stores and bought a desk-top accent lamp. It looks just like a fancy soup can that holds a light bulb. I put it in the box, plug it into a one of those timer things and then I can adjust the times that the light comes on and the length of time that it's on. I just checked this morning. The ambient temp in my cellar is fifty two degrees. The temp inside the fermentation chamber is a toasty 64. I have the fifteen watt bulb set to go on for an hour and then off for three. As the temps raise (I still have faith that they will eventually) I will cut back on the "on" time for the bulb.
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Chuck, I love that idea.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

FedoraDave wrote:But yesterday the temperature outside was in the teens, with wind chills dropping it even lower, and the temp strip read around 58, and it looked like things were sort of in suspended animation.
Jealous of that balmy weather you are having there Dave....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Chuck N wrote:King Of Cheap here...

I've told you all about my "fermentation chamber". Just a bead-board box that I made to fit over my five gallon bucket fermenter. Well the temps around here get down-right chilly - 7 below zero when I a woke this morning. So I had gone to one of the Home Improvement stores and bought a desk-top accent lamp. It looks just like a fancy soup can that holds a light bulb. I put it in the box, plug it into a one of those timer things and then I can adjust the times that the light comes on and the length of time that it's on. I just checked this morning. The ambient temp in my cellar is fifty two degrees. The temp inside the fermentation chamber is a toasty 64. I have the fifteen watt bulb set to go on for an hour and then off for three. As the temps raise (I still have faith that they will eventually) I will cut back on the "on" time for the bulb.
That’s just how my Suzy Bake oven worked when I was a wee girl. :rofl:
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

This is exactly why I started using a fermentation chamber 2 years ago and why I've recently decided to purchase the STC-1000 + Fermwrap to further control things. I got sick of monitoring and shuffling carboys to and fro.
(Separate discussion going on in the Advanced Techniques section about this)

We've had very cold weather in California the latter part of last week (yes, seriously). It was roughly 28 when I'd get up and only hit highs of 42 - which is COLD out here :freeze:

Of course, this week it's 70 again. Still need more rain. :(
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

my latest wlp400 wit hit 57 today... guess it's time to do the water bath / aquarium heater thing since the whole house is continually kept cold.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Usually it's not this cold in my basement, and in the winter I can expect my beer temperatures to be in the low-mid 60s. Therefore, I don't really feel the need to buy or construct any kind of temperature control device. Fortunately, the only other batch I've got fermenting is the PacTiki Pale Ale, which I'm bottling today. And I just left it down there, figuring it was like a cold crash for the final three or four days. Ain't gonna hurt it none.

The carboy that I moved was still working on primary fermentation, though, so I figured it needed a warmer environment.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

alb wrote:
Chuck N wrote:King Of Cheap here...

That’s just how my Suzy Bake oven worked when I was a wee girl. :rofl:
Yeah. Mine too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

zorak1066 wrote:my latest wlp400 wit hit 57 today... guess it's time to do the water bath / aquarium heater thing since the whole house is continually kept cold.
I'm cold too... So I'm brewing lagers. Next up is going to be a 5 gallon batch of Maibock.