Sierra Nevada Hoppy Lager

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Sierra Nevada Hoppy Lager

Post by Kealia »

Obviously not my picture, but mine looked exactly like this.

It's a beautiful beer, and the smell is somewhat unique. I had this a few nights ago so I'm working from memory and unfortunately can't pick out the nuances for this review (maybe there was some candied orange rind in there? :rolleyes: ).

Taste - um, not my favorite SN offering by far. I actually found this to be harsh and a bit alcohol-y (like the taste from a IIPA). It wasn't overly bitter, it was more hop-forward in flavor but from this beer I get the very resiny mouthfeel that really destroys my taste buds and ability to like this beer. Again, it's not overly bitter but it seems like there were so many late additions that there's more hop oil in the beer than anything else - almost like a straight hop-tea.

I'll be interested to see what others think of this, but I couldn't drink more than just a few sips. And that was after a good long day of hiking.
This one is a 'miss' for me.

ALCOHOL CONTENT 7.0% by volume
BITTERNESS UNITS 55
BITTERING HOPS Palisade, El Dorado
FINISHING HOPS Citra, Equinox

More information about the beer on their site here.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Sierra Nevada Hoppy Lager

Post by Inkleg »

Maybe it's the Citra. :laugh
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Or El Dorado.
I'm still floundering about how to use the pound I have.
I've noticed Sierra Nevada is pushing out beers a bit faster than they use to and maybe trying to keep up with Stone. I'm not even sure it'll show up here for me to try but on first glance, it sure is a pretty looking brew.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Kealia wrote: (maybe there was some candied orange rind in there? :rolleyes: ).
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That one made me laugh!!!

I'll keep an eye out for it and pick some up if I can.!!!
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I was pretty excited to try it since the other IPLs I've had were really good, but this just wasn't for me. I like the one I brewed MUCH better. That's not to say I'm a better brewer than SN, or they didn't brew it well of course, just that mine was tailored to my taste and therefore much better for me.

I am definitely interested in what others think of this, though. It seems my taste buds seem to ebb and flow. For a while I seem to like a wide range of things, then I come back to only liking pales, ambers and IPAs for a while, then back and forth....
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote: For a while I seem to like a wide range of things...
:huh: :p :rofl:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

What your getting as candied orange is probably the el-dorado. It tastes like orange and cherry and other flavors of Jolly Ranchers and even what I'd describe as "baby aspirin" (fake orange/citrus candi flavor even weirder then Jolly Rancher) in every beer I've put it in. I'm only liking it in dark beers, and even in them I wouldn't use them again. I'm not a fan so much.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

mashani wrote:What your getting as candied orange is probably the el-dorado. It tastes like orange and cherry and other flavors of Jolly Ranchers and even what I'd describe as "baby aspirin" (fake orange/citrus candi flavor even weirder then Jolly Rancher) in every beer I've put it in. I'm only liking it in dark beers, and even in them I wouldn't use them again. I'm not a fan so much.
I remember where you mentioned this before and I frowned since I truly don't know what to do with them. So many people brag about these and I wonder why.......doesn't sound appealing to me.

I wonder if as only late additions or dry hopping would be ok. One way or another, I'm going to give this a try. That Jolly Rancher flavor doesn't sound so great for a dark beer either.
When I searched for ideas on that, I keep seeing Flying Dog's beer:
Flying Dog Brewery El Dorado Single Hop Imperial IPA
Pours a pale orange color witha forthy white head. Aromas of pine and citrus. Medium bodied with flavors of piney and citrusy hops.
A nice beer to see the full aroma and flavor profile of El Dorado hops.
Hops: El Dorado
Malt: 2-row, Rye, Carapils, Biscuit

Ron, so sorry for hi-jacking your thread. May I apologize to you by sending you some El Dorado hops? :idea:
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Beer-lord wrote: Ron, so sorry for hi-jacking your thread. May I apologize to you by sending you some El Dorado hops? :idea:
Um, no. :p

And to further hijack the discussion, this review sounds like every other APA or IPA out there:
"Pours a pale orange color with a forthy white head. Aromas of pine and citrus. Medium bodied with flavors of piney and citrusy hops."
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

@Beer Lord, RE: the late addition idea for El-Dorado:

I used 1/2oz total in the "15 minute dubbel" I made. As in 1/2oz at 15 minutes. Single hopped.

I like that beer better then anything else I've put the El-Dorado in, but it even with age it does still have a very noticable candied orange/candied cherry/aspriney vibe going on still. It makes the beer seem a bit "candy sweet" even though it fermented out dry as it had a good bit of candi syrup in it.

So ... it depends on how late you mean by late addition. Maybe as only aroma or dry hop would be interesting, I dunno.
Knightmare
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Knightmare »

I seen this in the cooler at the store down the street a couple of days ago. I was intrigued because I'm a SN fan. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of IPL's. They just don't do it for me. I'll take an IPA any day. Guess that why I walked out with some Dogfish Head 60 Min...
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

I wish we could get Dogfish Head down here in Nawlins....gotta go west to Houston or east to Pensacola to get some.