Regarding the Mr. Beer forum

Take a minute to introduce yourself to the Borg and tell us what's brewing. You can ask questions here too!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Regarding the Mr. Beer forum

Post by Beer-lord »

If I may, I'd like to say a few things about the Mr. Beer forum. I'm not here to bash and hope it comes back soon. However, I would still come here many times a day.
But, I wonder if the damage is done and it's over. Look at some of the posts and see how all the old time guys with tons of knowledge feel. And, see what Mr. Beers response is. Seems like it's about as good as it's going to get.

http://community.mrbeer.com/community/d ... nity-forum

http://community.mrbeer.com/community/d ... -from-mrb-

I think they are doing a disservice to their members by not communicating. While members aren't obligated for anything, it's just good business to discuss what's being done. They've been asked to mention what can be expected and nothing specific has been given. When the brain drain leaves, new members will be helpless.

I don't want to spend all my time on this great forum discussing problems on other forums and am grateful to Louie for this one but this just seems too simple of a problem to fix for it to be so bad. There must be something else going on there. I truly want to help others on every forum I frequent but it's painful to try on that forum. A good search function is one of the most important pieces and that one is dismal.

OK, I'm done for now. Just wanted to say my small piece and move on.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Regarding the Mr. Beer forum

Post by jivex5k »

That, coupled with the fact that they didn't delete my recruitment post makes me wonder.
Maybe they don't want to support a large forum anymore?
Regardless, there are already enough old hats with plenty of knowledge here, I know this is my new home.
And I'll do whatever I can to help it out.

I just replied to those topics, might get banned soon lol. But, I keep it pretty tactful I believe so it might make matters worse for them if they banned me.
Of course, this could be what they want, maybe they were sick of maintaining a forum and don't realize the underlying benefits to harboring a passionate community.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I just read your two posts and I think you did a great job of mentioning this forum while at the same time, letting people know that we've got to be patient. I think they may delete it but might be afraid to.
Heck, they may even join here to see what we're talking about. That's cool. The more forums I can frequent, the more I'll learn and pass on to others.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

In one of the posts, Louie also invited the MB folks to come over here and give updates if they wanted to. Would be a nice gesture if they did. If that one doesn't get deleted, yours should be safe. :)
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

There are some folks I would love to see migrate over this way, like the Hat, Inkleg, and Screwy and I understand if they don't do so. I'm with jivex on that this feels like home, the way the old MB boards did. That said, I'm forever grateful for having had the opportunity to learn from there when I first started almost a year ago.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I sent a couple e-mails, never did get a reply. I made some harsh statements in hope of getting them to reply, but yet nothing. They don't give a poop about us, they probably figure the newbies will go there and not knowing anybetter, think that is a good site. They have really screwed the pooch as far as I'm concerned. I have no problem talking bad about a company that don't care about their long time posters. It was very stupid of a company to allienate long time contributers which results in newbies continual purchasing of their products. With-out our help, many of the MrB first times would have gave up and not spent any more $$ on their products based on the very bad first results of their kits due to MrBs bad instructions and lack of guidance. I know, I was once one of those very diasspointed newbies with a shitty first batch. I'll say it again, Mr Beer went straight to hell with the latest software.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

FIT, I totally agree with you about the new brewers getting fed up and not going back to Mr. Beer. I do know that Mr. Beer has opened the door for people to move to BrewDemon or other brewing kits if they decide to continue brewing at all!

I also think that Mr. Beer will survive this whole fiasco as they did with the "upgrade" before this and other bad management choices. This will all fade away into distant memory.
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

you might be right Louie, but it seems like they may have done irreparable harm to their borg by running off the experienced brewers now it'll be noob advising noob. with out y'alls help i'd 've never understood why the cal sucked and when the cerveza came out basically the same i'd've quit. wonder how many new brewers will be lost over this?
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Sparrow
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by Sparrow »

+1 Jim. Not only did the change over run out all the folks capable of imparting real time knowledge, they seem to have removed the ability to search for all the previously posted wisdom.

If I had a dime for every time I pointed someone to a post from one of the more experienced members, well I'd have a few bucks since my post count wasn't stellar.

Anyway, no use crying over spilled milk. Beer maybe but not milk, and I'm really Grateful that Louie gave us a great new place to carry on. :thanks:
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Yeah, except for Dianne being more active, it is eerily quiet over there!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

All that I can say it is sad what has happened. I know that I would have quit brewing if it was not for the old forum. I do not know the number of years I been a member there. I have quit it, been kicked out of it had my rants etc. It is good to see the ole timys here sharing their knowledge. Liek others wish Screwy & the Hat would show up and make themselves at home. Their wit &wisdom is sorely missed!!
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

Hi guys,

I really hope they fix the forum, but after a week it doesn't look good. Thanks to Louie for setting up this one.
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Welcome doc! Glad you found us. We are expanding here, and a lot of familiar faces are around!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

hi doc
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

To Louie,

This forum works better than the pre "upgrade" Mr Beer site. Great job. Unless they do a major fix there I think we may be better off here. I checked out Homebrewwtalk but was a bit overwhelmed. This seems more like home. Also we can talk about Brewdemon here without getting censored. There are 3 extracts that I regularly use as a base for my favorite IPA, Irish Red, and Belgian Witbier that I can only buy from the demon now.