watery taste

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mostra_1

watery taste

Post by mostra_1 »

Hello everyone, I am a first time home brewer and my first batch after I purchased the brew kit in my opinion tasted a bit watery. I followed the instructions but now on my second batch and this time stayed at the 2 gallon mark instead of 2.5 Mark. Is this a common thing and is it better to leave in fermenter longer than 7 days?
Beer-lord

Re: watery taste

Post by Beer-lord »

What kit did you brew?
If the kit is for 2 gallons and you made 2 1/2 gallons, it certainly will change the beer. But, you really should leave it in the fermenter longer than a week. I suggest at least 14 days then let it carb and condition in the bottle for 3 weeks. The hardest thing about this hobby is patiently waiting.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Also many of those kits are pretty light. As BeerLord suggests, a little more time will help. I rarely bottle anything in less than 3 weeks. You are just starting, and a basic start is the best. But there are many styles of beer that you can make in your modest fermenter, with little more equipment than you have in your kitchen. With study and practice you can make great beer. Welcome to the forum and the pastime. Share your problems for suggestions, your successes for congratulations. Brew on!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Welcome to the forum!

Most those basic kits will taste watered down, they are mostly good for getting you into brewing. I leave mine in da fermentor for 3 weeks, bottled for another 4 weeks. You can shorten this time alot, but that takes a little bit of experience/know how, which we can all help you with. Feel free to ask any question, someone will be along to answer it for you, we love to help.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Welcome to the Borg mostra_1! Glad you found us!!

As others have said, some of the basic kits can be somewhat watery, but there are things you can do to remedy that. What kit did you make?

:welcome: :borg:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build