10 signs you might be a beer snob!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: 10 signs you might be a beer snob!

Post by Tabasco »

Even though I drink homebrew almost exclusively, and appreciate the fine crafts that are out there, I wll still drink a "light golden lager" like Bud when I'm at the Moose Lodge or on the train ride home. It's beer.

Hell, even sometimes when I'm at a place like Buffalo Wild Wings ... that has many crafts (IPA's, etc.) on tap ... I may order a PBR ... a couple bucks less per pint than the crafts ... what the hell, I have excellent ales all the time at home ... why pay so much to get IPA to wash down my wings?
DirtRacer
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by DirtRacer »

Some of these I am close to but not completely. #1 if it's something premium. I do have a selection of glassware at my house but when I've been given one by a friend or family member, then I wait till I am home. #3 depending on what it is, maybe I want to just unload it asap and know that based on their choice they won't like the good, full flavor of homebrew or craft beers I have so why put one to waste? #6 but I rarely bring it up in conversation, although I have. #8 except that if it's free, then I guess why not if I am thirsty; it will make me appreciate my homebrews and craft brews even more.
Good judgment comes from experience, which comes from poor judgment.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Hmm... glassware. I have a Stange to put my Kölsch in. I don't have a Kranz though. Nor do I have a Stösschen. So maybe I'm only partly an item #1 snob LOL.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Do you have Steins? You can't possibly drink a stout or a brown ale without pouring it into a dimpled mug! And remember how we all went bonkers over the Stella Chalice? You better believe I have a Stella Chalice!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've got a Stella chalice. I like to drink Saison from it. I do have a goblet for big Belgians too. But I drink most everything else from a shaker glass, so that's like being a heathen.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Only ones I'm guilty of are #3 and #8. Thirty years ago I realized I didn't like the beers I could afford and couldn't afford the beers I liked. So I just drank whiskey and wine. Learning to make the beers I like at a cost I could afford is one of the best things that ever happened to me in my entire life. Second only to finding my third and current wife.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

mashani wrote:But I drink most everything else from a shaker glass, so that's like being a heathen.
Right there with ya mashani. The shaker pints are plentiful at my house. Haven't had a beer taste bad out of one yet!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

either a shaker or one of the el cheapo wally world glasses I got
58px-Pilsner_Glass_(Hourglass)_svg.png
58px-Pilsner_Glass_(Hourglass)_svg.png (5.78 KiB) Viewed 618 times
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Okay, I'm not sure what a shaker glass is, but after a brief search I think it appears to be the pretty straight up, starting small at the bottom and getting wider as it goes up, one pint glass, with no special form other than that tapered, soft 'triangle' shape. Like the pint glasses Mr Beer used to sell. To me, a glass is a glass, and I don't know any of their names, but if that's really a shaker pint, then I'll vote along with the others who use it. That's the glass I use the most. It's simple, it holds a pint, it's strong and doesn't easily slip down out of your hand when your grip begins to weaken from one too many. Or so I hear.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

That is what a shaker is
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Joe, having a jelly glass doesn't count...

I've never spent the time doing a study of what beers taste better in what glasses. In the old days I had glass mugs. Then a pewter mug that I could put in the freezer to keep my beer cold. Then tall pilsner glasses, which broke easy (and I don't drink pilsners). Then engraved Pilsner glasses.

What I like best is the traditional pub pint glass (i.e. shaker). In fact, when our beer consumption increased, we bought a set of these at a great price at Bed Bath. We like them because they fit in the dishwasher (yeah, I know, won't retain a head when rinse agent...). For us they work great - nice heft, and easy to clean.

To me, this is just like driving a Rolls Royce or any other thing you haven't tried - if you don't experience it, you don't know the difference. If I figured out the difference and it mattered to me, I'd have to have it.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

RB wrote...

"Joe, having a jelly glass doesn't count..."

Aha! I was wondering why JoeC praised my beers when he was at our house for not tasting peach preserves or orange marmalade. :p
Sibling Brewers
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

joechianti wrote:Thirty years ago I realized I didn't like the beers I could afford and couldn't afford the beers I liked. So I just drank whiskey and wine. Learning to make the beers I like at a cost I could afford is one of the best things that ever happened to me in my entire life.
+1 and ditto!
Last edited by DaYooper on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company