Mr Beer Forum

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Mr Beer Forum

Post by Beer-lord »

FedoraDave wrote: That doesn't mean I want to hang out with 16-year-olds.
The joke would be, they didn't make 16 year olds like they do now. But the reality is, you're quite right. There's a time and a place for everything and it's up to each one to know when that time has come.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

jimjohson wrote:
FedoraDave wrote: That doesn't mean I want to hang out with 16-year-olds.
Grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!
So true.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

For me...the MB forum wasn't what helped me out so much when I started brewing, no it wasn't the forum. It was the PEOPLE that used the forum. It was Dave for doing the RCE's. It was Trollby, who I was paired with for my first RCE, who taught me how to steep grains on my THIRD batch. It was BPGreen, it was Dag, it was Beer-lord...I could go on and on and on with names.

The forum was simply the method of communication. And that method went away, and Leigh started this. And low and behold, almost all of those great people came here, so I did too. If everyone left here and went back to the MB forum, I would go back too. Not because it was the forum that got me to return, I would return to stay close to my friends. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

For me, it wouldn't matter how we communicate, just as long as we do. I have made great friends via brewing. And I am grateful for that.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
truckndad
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by truckndad »

I can still get in they too. But it is something I've outgrown and I haven't used any of these products since the very beginning of the new stuff. I want to impressed so I never bought any more. I might still pop in there once in a while though. Say things like, it's ok to leave it in the leg for three weeks, those are just that islands so quit looking at it and leave it alone, blah blah blah. Times like right after Fathers Day I might go on again. Maybe nudge them over here or to hbt, but other than that I don't see much reason for me to be hanging out over there
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

BlackDuck wrote:For me...the MB forum wasn't what helped me out so much when I started brewing, no it wasn't the forum. It was the PEOPLE that used the forum. It was Dave for doing the RCE's. It was Trollby, who I was paired with for my first RCE, who taught me how to steep grains on my THIRD batch. It was BPGreen, it was Dag, it was Beer-lord...I could go on and on and on with names.

The forum was simply the method of communication. And that method went away, and Leigh started this. And low and behold, almost all of those great people came here, so I did too. If everyone left here and went back to the MB forum, I would go back too. Not because it was the forum that got me to return, I would return to stay close to my friends. But I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

For me, it wouldn't matter how we communicate, just as long as we do. I have made great friends via brewing. And I am grateful for that.

:urock: :clink:
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

truckndad wrote: Times like right after Fathers Day I might go on again. Maybe nudge them over here or to hbt, but other than that I don't see much reason for me to be hanging out over there
Careful, that is what got me banned from that very crappy site that represents a very crappy POR.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

I haven't posted there in 17 months -- basically, since joining here. Their new renovations look good, maybe not as good as it was originally, but much improved.

As some others have said, I have basically outgrown their products so I don't know how much help I would be over there regarding the current product line -- although I did buy the fall '14 seasonal during a free shipping sale, and I do like their Winter Dark as a base for additions. But maybe I'll break my boycott and take a stab at offering process advice to newbs. Like I always say, today's newbs are potentially tomorrow's old friends.

I doubt, however, that I'll spend a ton of time hanging out there. This is "home" now.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
docpd
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by docpd »

I noted the improvements as well and have been going back from time to time to help where I can. It is always nice to help a new brewer get started. All of us here are fairly experienced so the discussions are more useful to me, but I still like to give back so I will continue to visit Mr B from time to time.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

docpd wrote:I noted the improvements as well and have been going back from time to time to help where I can. It is always nice to help a new brewer get started. All of us here are fairly experienced so the discussions are more useful to me, but I still like to give back so I will continue to visit Mr B from time to time.
That's pretty much how I feel. My friends are here, but the big population of newbies is there. I don't see myself going there for Mr Beer, but rather for the new brewers who I might be able to help as I was helped when I needed it. Also can't see myself as a customer, either. I can't wait to finish using up all the extracts I bought on fire sale before I realized that fresh grains were just as inexpensive as HME on fire sale.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Herr, I would LOVE to see the letter you received from MrB. Didnt know it was THAT bad. Especially with you being a people person and all.

I have tried to stay a bit in touch over there for the newbies, especially so they dont end up thinking brewing sucks and quit. The whole "pay it forward" thing. Takes minimal time and more people are starting to advance and answering the "stupid" questions.

I have not given up completely and will buy their products (and BDs) when the sale price is right. Have been stocking up on those for when I hopefully begin a new chapter in my life and dont have as much time to brew - even a 60 minute extract boil - as feel (fear) I will be pretty darned busy until the next snowfall hits. Ive never had a problem with HMEs. Yes, I would rather AG (when I have lots of time) or do my own extract recipes (when I just have time), but when I have no time I would rather kick something out quickly that is pretty good than not brew at all.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Won't say I won't ever do an extract, but I see no reason to buy a MrB. (with the exception being for a RCE) IMO it's just too much $, for not enough ale.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I'll check it out ... but I do agree with what Louie said ... brand loyalty is not necessary here.

I haven't done any extract brewing in ages, but I was thinking of getting some HME's soon as I need a break. However, I'm leaning towards the old MrB refills (Brew Demon), rather than the new (Cooper's).
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I found the Borg thru the Mr Beer forum, glad I did. As far as their product I still have 2 HME's but after I think my third batch I moved to the Borg and onto DME and steeped grains, to full mashes. I occasionally checked in to see what was happening over their and saw the new brewers were still being taken care of by some of our fellow Borg members, and looked like they had things under control.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

BlackDuck wrote:For me...the MB forum wasn't what helped me out so much when I started brewing, no it wasn't the forum. It was the PEOPLE that used the forum. It was Dave for doing the RCE's. It was Trollby, who I was paired with for my first RCE, who taught me how to steep grains on my THIRD batch. It was BPGreen, it was Dag, it was Beer-lord...I could go on and on and on with names.

clap,clap,clap ^this^ clap,clap,clap
Sibling Brewers
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I pop over there occasionally since the upgrade and answer a few questions, as I find that fun. That may be the only thing I miss over here, but the positives here far outweigh that. So I go over and get my fix maybe once every other week, but usually RickBeer has every... single... question... already covered. Doesn't that guy sleep? Geez... ;) I guess that's how our posts looked a few years ago as well. Well done, RB...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...