My LHBS guys are the best!

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

My LHBS guys are the best!

Post by FedoraDave »

Yesterday gave me just one more reason to love my LHBS and keep going there.

I have to drive about 45 minutes (and that's highway driving - 65 mph!) to get to my LHBS, but they're well-stocked, they're knowledgable, they're very helpful, and they usually give me something to smile about.

Yesterday I got there right as they opened, so I was the only one in the store. Joe, the owner, and two other employees were there, and they were joking with one of the guys about how he's always losing pens. Similar ball-busting to what we do in these forums. But anyway, he writes down my grain order, and starts filling it. Well, he starts filling 2/3 of it. I was looking ahead at my work schedule, and decided to buy supplies for my next three batches, so I needed three bags of grains. The other employee took the final third of my order.

Well, he didn't realize I didn't want my grains milled, so he started doing it, and by the time anyone else realized what he was doing, it was too late. Well, no big deal to me; I'll just keep the milled grains in a sealed bag for a couple of weeks, I don't care, and I certainly don't want my LHBS to have to eat the cost of it over something like that.

But then Joe started acting like it was a disaster. "That does it! First the pens, now this! I'm outta here! I quit! Burn this place down!"

These are guys I'd like to share a few homebrews with after hours. These are definitely guys I'll continue to shop. They amuse me, yeah, but they're making me a better brewer, too. Fresher grains, the proper equipment when I need to replace anything, good advice when I have a question.... This is what your LHBS is supposed to be.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
100 Years War IPA -- Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: My LHBS guys are the best!

Post by Brewbirds »

We stopped by the one here on our first (house hunting) trip and have high hopes for the same kind of environment.

We chatted with the guy in charge of the brewing section (its actually a hydroponics gardening store with brew supplies on the side) and he is very knowledgeable and friendly.

It is a small space but he has managed to stock it thoroughly as we found out by asking if he had a bunch of different items to which he answered in the affirmative. :banana: :banana:

Should be spending a few bucks there in the next week or so. :jumpy:
Sibling Brewers
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

I would think having a good LHBS would be Priority #1 when house-hunting.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

We used to have an amazing staff of people at our LHBS, super knowledgeable and super friendly, easygoing fellows, pretty much all with beards, so you know they knew their stuff. But for some reason which I can't figure out, after being there for years, they've all been leaving one by one, in a short period of time. I hate change, but I hope the new wave of staff there is half as good as the ones that left.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

I wasn’t a brewer when I bought my house. (Well, I must have always had it in me, but I had never acted on it.) But much to my delight, I find myself living 5 miles from the only LHBS in the area, and 2 miles from the only welding supply in town, where I get my CO2. It was meant to be. I can never move.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
zorak1066
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by zorak1066 »

my lhbs: almost never has a clearance sale... tries to sell expired liquid yeast at what they consider a 'markdown', $3.50 instead of $7. their grain selection is woefully inadequate (ie no coffee malt)... but it's all there is for miles and miles. the guys are nice enough but it seems like they cater more to wine makers than brewers.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

zorak1066 wrote:my lhbs: almost never has a clearance sale... tries to sell expired liquid yeast at what they consider a 'markdown', $3.50 instead of $7. their grain selection is woefully inadequate (ie no coffee malt)... but it's all there is for miles and miles. the guys are nice enough but it seems like they cater more to wine makers than brewers.
My other LHBS was like that. They definitely catered to wine makers and sort of had the brewing stuff on hand, but didn't cover all the bases very well; no bulk grain; often older, unrotated stuff; running out of pretty standard ingredients (how the hell do you justify not having Hallertau?). My current LHBS takes me longer to get there, but they really focus on the brewing and have some wine stuff available. It's definitely worth the extra drive time.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

alb wrote:I wasn’t a brewer when I bought my house. (Well, I must have always had it in me, but I had never acted on it.) But much to my delight, I find myself living 5 miles from the only LHBS in the area, and 2 miles from the only welding supply in town, where I get my CO2. It was meant to be. I can never move.
I wasn't a brewer when we bought our house, either. We chose the location because of the schools. Can you believe it? Stupid me.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Old Smokey Amber Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
South Ferry Steam Beer
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

My LHBS owner is a big fan of beer and wine, she is one of the founders of our brew club and is active in creating kits for her store a real nice lady. She and her staff are real helpful. She has a big store and half is wine and the other half is beer, its always clean and well organized. I enjoy going there and spending time and money. I must say its is about 20 miles away and the street I go down is a pain to travel due to traffic.