Northeast Borg sector

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Northeast Borg sector

Post by FedoraDave »

Well, it seems a little more than an inch fell overnight. But the Governor declared a travel ban on the 13 counties in the southeast section of the state, and that means me. So I get a snow day today.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Old Smokey Amber Ale -- 100 Years War IPA -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- South Ferry Steam Beer
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Travel ban has been lifted in NJ.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Well, we weren't so lucky. There's more than a foot of snow outside. It's hard to judge just how much because it's drifting. The tv shows 25" 20 miles east of us, and 16-18" 20 miles west of us. Either way, it's a lot. And they are still forecasting totals of 20-30" here. Not "The Storm of the Century" by any means. Weathermen do love drama. We still have light and power, therefore heat, (Yay!)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Fishybrewer

Post by Fishybrewer »

Central Mass checking in. As of 8:30 AM Worcester had 25 inches and its still gonna snow all day. Gonna be a tough one to dig out of. Still have power though. Be safe
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Western Mass - Tuesday morning 10:30 - I'd say we've got about 8 inches so far. Still coming down, and VERY windy. They've downgraded our predicted total - we were originally predicted for 18" but now it's more like 12-14" before it's all over.
Very light fluffy snow, so that helps with the cleanup, and keeping the power on (knock on wood).

Overall, a bad storm but it seems like the media might have over-stated the "storm of historic proportions" stuff -- what a shock, huh?
Glad to hear that everyone is okay so far.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Not that I'm not glad it's appearing to be less than anticipated but they always blow things out of proportion. They love that 24 hour news cycle that chock full of commercials to make them $$$$.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Well, it turns out I had to work today anyway. The travel ban was lifted around 7:45 or so, and I went out and managed to get my work done, most of it. Couldn't negotiate two driveways, and one of my commercial stops was deserted. They must have made the decision yesterday not to come in today. And it was a fairly light work load anyway, so I was home by around 1:30 or earlier.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

And I justified not joining a gym this month by doing three "workouts" shoveling. A nice thing happened: While shoveling, the town plow came by. I'm thinking "Just don't plow the end of my driveway back in, right after I dug it out." But he came by and trimmed the edges where I was working without blocking me back in. I offered him coffee, or a bathroom break, but he declined.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Chuck N
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Chuck N »

Beer-lord wrote:Not that I'm not glad it's appearing to be less than anticipated but they always blow things out of proportion. They love that 24 hour news cycle that chock full of commercials to make them $$$$.
Up here in Minne"snow"ta we call them "Weather Terrorists" Now-a-days when it looks like more than two or three inches of snow are on the way you start hearing them use words "Snowmagedan" or "Snowapocolipse".
Things men have made with wakened hands, and put soft life into
Are awake through years with transferred touch and go on glowing
For long years.
And for this reason some old things are lovely
Warm still with the life of forgotten men who made them.

― D.H. Lawrence
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

When my sister first graduated college, she got a job at Lamont-Doherty geological labs. She got to know some of the guys in the meteorology department, and one of them told her that here in the Metro NYC area, it's really easy to forecast the weather in the winter, because a storm front moves through every four days or so. If it hits us, it's an accurate forecast, and if it goes to the north or south, they can point to it and say, "Hey, we got lucky on that one!" But they're technically not wrong, because a storm came through, as forecast.

Still, it's better to be prepared for the worst.

Long Island and some parts of Connecticut did get hit pretty hard. In my quadrant, not so much.
Obey The Hat!

Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Littlejohn's Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Drinking: