KegSmart

Have a question on how to keg your beer or just want some tips on bottling! Don't stick a cork in it until you ask the Borg!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

KegSmart

Post by Beer-lord »

I must be getting too old because this just doesn't appeal to me at all.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... =discovery

Why must everything that's already working, be brought into the tech world?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: KegSmart

Post by Inkleg »

Me either, I'm just pouring from picnic taps and make a hash mark on the relevant post-it note above the keezer. Works in my flip phone world. :lol:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The amazing thing with most of these Kickstarter-type programs is that people actually fund them. I am creating one where I am trying to gain five pounds by drinking beer, I need to raise $1 million to do so.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I thought the name PicoBrew sounded familiar.

I'm going to pass as well. Not interested in this either.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Inkleg wrote:Me either, I'm just pouring from picnic taps and make a hash mark on the relevant post-it note above the keezer. Works in my flip phone world. :lol:
I've only drained one keg. But I knew what was in it. And I knew it was empty when it kicked.
Ink, I really do use a flip phone. And I have no plans of changing it. I use it as a phone. I know that sounds crazy. I do like to joke by pulling it out when everyone is talking smart phones and say "Kirk to Enterprise". But it only gets a laugh if you remember the 70s. (I know Star Trek was in the 60s. But re-runs)
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

No offense to anyone who might be intrigued by this, or think it's a great idea, but it just strikes me as a product that would appeal primarily to hipster beer snobs. Why do I have to know the grain bill or the IBU of what's in my keg? Why should anyone else care? Or if they do, I can pull out my recipe notebook and tell them. Yeah, I keep a 3-ring binder with my recipes in it, even though I also use BrewToad to formulate and save them, too.

Are they trying to appeal to homebrewers who want to pretend they're Big-Boy Brewers? I really don't get it. I've got a Dri-Erase board on which I make hash marks to know how many pints I've drawn, and I've got clear plastic photo frames stuck near the taps to hold a label and let me know what's in that keg.

Keep your high-tech toys. When the Technological Apocalypse occurs (and it will...oh yes, it will), I'll still be able to make beer the way it's been made for thousands of years. And I will be a god among men.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
100 Years War IPA
Fermenting/Conditioning
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- South Ferry Steam Beer
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

I agree and also keep a notebook. On another site I said if the apocalypse comes I got a marketable skill. After like 6 months they'll be dying for a brew.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

I too have a phone that makes phone calls. I think it texts so I am told, and takes really bad pictures....

But I digress. For 1-2 taps, it seems pretty useless to me other than a toy to show how much money you have to piss away to other brewing friends, who probably dont laugh to your face since you are letting them drink your free beer. I know what is in my kegs so dont need to spend $$$ to remind me, and if I am that hammered I am probably not drinking beer that night anyway. Half the fun is having a chalkboard, and for those who usually keep a standard house beer or two in rotation many times will make or have made a custom pull. Im sure my wife wouldnt look at it as her only concern is it is not a porter or stout, but as I bottle those it does no good there. Plus, she has learned that a couple of weeks into the fresh keg it is good to lift it to judge the status. I am really surprised at the amount of funding they have received for a corny system, and makes me think "now why the hell didnt I think of that?"
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company