Kit Lab

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Kit Lab

Post by Beer-lord »

Think this will work? Here's just the quickee part of the story.
How Kit Lab Works

It's easy. To sell your homebrew recipes as beer kits, all you have to do is upload a recipe and mark it as public. That's it! Looking to drum up sales for your kits? Share your recipes on your favorite forums and social networks and make sure to include a link to your kit so folks can easily find and buy it.

When your kit sells, we will pack it (made fresh to order - your kits ingredients will never be stale), ship it, and credit your account for your cut of the sale. Every month we'll make a deposit to the account of your choice with your earnings.
- See more at: http://www.kitlab.co/#sthash.fAoefBbz.dpuf
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Kit Lab

Post by John Sand »

I don't know how well it will work. But I do love enterprise. I'm sure that brewers will participate.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

hell I signed up
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

Beer-lord wrote:How Kit Lab Works

It's easy. To sell your homebrew recipes as beer kits, all you have to do is upload a recipe and mark it as public.
I didn't follow the link, so maybe I'm missing something, but I have to ask....

If I upload a recipe and mark it as public, what's stopping someone from just following my recipe on their own without buying my kit? I mean, that's what I would do (have done, in fact) when I came across a publicly shared clone recipe.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
FedoraDave's American Ale
Fermenting/Conditioning
Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Ladybug Lager -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch -- Moon Shot Double IPA -- 2Daves Irish Red Ale
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Personally, I think it won't work but as I've said many times, I like how there's option to this hobby and how creative folks get with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Let us know how it works out Jim. My concern is, how do you know they are telling the truth when it come to your Royalties on the recipe? You cant see their sales ledger so whats to stop them from selling 20 five gallon batches of your recipe, yet tell you hey we sold 2 of your recipes.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Let us know how it works out Jim. My concern is, how do you know they are telling the truth when it come to your Royalties on the recipe? You cant see their sales ledger so whats to stop them from selling 20 five gallon batches of your recipe, yet tell you hey we sold 2 of your recipes.

The way I look at it is, I'm giving the recipes away on BeerSmith anyway(I share every recipe after I brew it the first time). So that'd still be $10 more than I 'm making on them now. What I need help in is the creative naming of the brews, that most of y'all seem to be so good at. Most of my stuff is like "Jim's American Wheat". If I made a label it'd be like a generic, all white with black letters saying "BEER". This is why I always hated the short stories/books with "the lady or the tiger" endings(i.e.The Mist)...I have no imagination
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I don't know if it will work, it depends on if they actually publish the recipe I think, and/or how competitive their ingredient prices are... but also I think the biggest problem would be "glut". As in thousands, 10's of thousands, who knows how many recipes could get published of varying quality. It could become information overload - easier to pick a kit from Northern, Midwest, MoreBeer, etc... less to filter through but all good well tested choices.

As a side note, I keep reading the title as "Kilt Lab" LOL.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

"Home brewers who have created great home brewing recipes will love to sell their kits on Kit Lab."

Hmmm, I more enjoy with sharing my recipes and getting feedback from The Experts for improvement. So, I get a few tweaks and post, am I ripping off those who helped me with the tweaks? I see this becoming a huge hodgepodge of almost-the-same recipes. And if I did find something I liked, I would most likely get the ingredients from my LHBS not because I am too cheap to pay the buck a gallon royalty but because I know they have good, quality, fresh ingredients and I like to support local when I can. I never know just when I am going to brew so it is nice once things are figured out to be able to sport on down and pick up what I need the day before.

"Since anyone can post kits to the marketplace, you can find kits from your favorite home brewing forum members, your favorite brewing magazines, and even your favorite breweries."

Again, dont see much benefit with going here rather than other places, with the exception being if they will ship me 7.128# of LME and grains in fractions like I can get at my LHBS. I hate getting multiples of 3.3# cans of LME and the rest in DME, but that is just me.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
betterbeerkits
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by betterbeerkits »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Let us know how it works out Jim. My concern is, how do you know they are telling the truth when it come to your Royalties on the recipe? You cant see their sales ledger so whats to stop them from selling 20 five gallon batches of your recipe, yet tell you hey we sold 2 of your recipes.
Hi guys,

Ryan from Kit Lab here. I saw you guys asking some questions about how this whole thing is going to work, so I thought I would provide any answers I could. Really appreciate you guys picking the idea apart - its threads like this that help us identify the friction points in the business model and adapt accordingly! We really learn a lot from conversations like this, so thank you very much!

Ok, so to answer this specific question: Each author will have their own dashboard when they log in so they can view every sale they've ever made, how much profit they've earned in a given period, etc. So the platform, which is made from open source pieces (so not secretive and specific to us) is pretty darn transparent. That, and we're looking to foster an awesome community of happy, engaged homebrewers, and stealing from them would kind of run counter to that goal :) haha
################################################
#........................................................................................................#
#......Sell Your Own Beer Kits, Support Your Favorite Brewers: Kit Lab........#
#........................................................................................................#
betterbeerkits
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by betterbeerkits »

FedoraDave wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:How Kit Lab Works

It's easy. To sell your homebrew recipes as beer kits, all you have to do is upload a recipe and mark it as public.
I didn't follow the link, so maybe I'm missing something, but I have to ask....

If I upload a recipe and mark it as public, what's stopping someone from just following my recipe on their own without buying my kit? I mean, that's what I would do (have done, in fact) when I came across a publicly shared clone recipe.
Yep, good point! Nothing is stopping anyone from just using Kit Lab as they do beertoad or beersmith or any of the other free recipe sites. The big difference at Kit Lab is that if you are feeling lazy, or you don't have a LHBS, you can click a button and everything you need for the recipe is headed to your doorstep. Many people will use the site for different purposes, but if you like a recipe, or maybe like a recipe author (I love Yooper recipes on homebrewtalk) you'll now have the ability to support them financially and thank them for posting such great, reliable recipes.

Totally up to you how you use the site though!
betterbeerkits
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by betterbeerkits »

DaYooper wrote:"Home brewers who have created great home brewing recipes will love to sell their kits on Kit Lab."

Again, dont see much benefit with going here rather than other places, with the exception being if they will ship me 7.128# of LME and grains in fractions like I can get at my LHBS. I hate getting multiples of 3.3# cans of LME and the rest in DME, but that is just me.
That, sir, is exactly what we'll be doing :)
betterbeerkits
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by betterbeerkits »

mashani wrote:
As a side note, I keep reading the title as "Kilt Lab" LOL.
Holy moly. We need to make those. NOW! :)
betterbeerkits
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by betterbeerkits »

Anywho, if anyone else has any questions or wants to speak up about other feedback or concerns, I really appreciate ALL feedback on the idea. Thanks guys!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Ryan, thanks for the updates and info.
I'm curious how do you know if the recipe is original? Really, so many recipes are similar to begin with and what's to stop someone from say, putting up a Pliny Clone, giving it a name that is in no way close to it and basically, claiming that the recipe is yours?
I've got a number of recipes I've brewed over the years that I put together but never stopped to even check if it resembles any other recipe out there.

Best of luck to you on your endeavors.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black