BrewDemon has 550g UME

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

BrewDemon has 550g UME

Post by monsteroyd »

Hey,

I just ordered some 550g cans of LME from BrewDemon. This is the same size as a normal can of MB HME. With the 20& discount for BB members, I think they are a great deal. I'm going to try them with some Patriot Ale, OctoberFest, and Azteca. I normally use an LME pack and booster, but I think these will really turn out even better. Can't wait to get them and try a couple of batches. Anyway I just wanted to point out that 550g cans of UME are pretty unique.

I am going to try and figure out if I can find a place for the conical in my brewing cabinets in the basement. Does anyone know the HxWxD size of these with the legs on etc.?

Monty
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BrewDemon has 550g UME

Post by LouieMacGoo »

One of the first thing I noticed about this thing was it’s size! It really seemed to be quite a bit larger then the Mr. Beer LBK, and there is a difference, but when you start looking at the measurements it really isn’t that much different. The BrewDemon Little Brown Conical (LBC) stands about 16″ tall and just over 9″ wide, where as the Mr. Beer Little Brown Keg (LBK) is just about 14″ long, 9″ wide and just under 10″ tall. The way that they physically sit causes a the BrewDemon Fermenter to look a lot bigger but when you put them side by side that difference isn’t as evident.

You can read more about the conical here http://www.beerborg.com/index/2013/01/r ... fermenter/

Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
BrewDemon
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by BrewDemon »

monsteroyd wrote:Hey,

I just ordered some 550g cans of LME from BrewDemon. This is the same size as a normal can of MB HME. With the 20& discount for BB members, I think they are a great deal. I'm going to try them with some Patriot Ale, OctoberFest, and Azteca. I normally use an LME pack and booster, but I think these will really turn out even better. Can't wait to get them and try a couple of batches. Anyway I just wanted to point out that 550g cans of UME are pretty unique.

I am going to try and figure out if I can find a place for the conical in my brewing cabinets in the basement. Does anyone know the HxWxD size of these with the legs on etc.?

Monty
FYI…The fermenter with a base is about 10" wide and just over 16" tall…and depending on the type of airlock you use (if any), this can add another 3" to 5" to the overall height.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

FYI…The fermenter with a base is about 10" wide and just over 16" tall…and depending on the type of airlock you use (if any), this can add another 3" to 5" to the overall height.
For those in the warmer climes what do you suggest for temp control? Even without an airlock on them they look to tall for the frozen bottle/ice chest method. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The 550g cans of UME are what Mr. Beer sold, in addition to booster, prior to Cooper's buying them out. That can, which sells for $6.50, would be $5.20 with the coupon (plus shipping). That works out to $4.29 per pound for LME. My LHBS sells it for $2.50 a pound bulk, so if you have a LHBS around you may want to check their prices. This is good if you want an inventory available that won't go bad (whereas bulk LME will eventually) or need many different types (my LHBS carries pale and wheat, sometimes one other).
Last edited by RickBeer on Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BrewDemon
Corp. Supporter
Corp. Supporter

Post by BrewDemon »

RickBeer wrote:The 550g cans of UME are what Mr. Beer sold, in addition to booster, prior to Cooper's buying them out. That can, which sells for $6.50, would be $5.20 with the coupon (plus shipping). That works out to $4.29 per pound for LME. My LHBS sells it for $2.50 a pound bulk, so if you have a LHBS around you may want to check their. This is good if you want an inventory available that won't go bad (whereas bulk LME will eventually) or need many different types (my LHBS carries pale and wheat, sometimes one other).
You can also save by doing a partial mash. Grain is quite inexpensive.
Shermie

Post by Shermie »

LouieMacGoo wrote:
One of the first thing I noticed about this thing was it’s size! It really seemed to be quite a bit larger then the Mr. Beer LBK, and there is a difference, but when you start looking at the measurements it really isn’t that much different. The BrewDemon Little Brown Conical (LBC) stands about 16″ tall and just over 9″ wide, where as the Mr. Beer Little Brown Keg (LBK) is just about 14″ long, 9″ wide and just under 10″ tall. The way that they physically sit causes a the BrewDemon Fermenter to look a lot bigger but when you put them side by side that difference isn’t as evident.

You can read more about the conical here http://www.beerborg.com/index/2013/01/r ... fermenter/

I HAVE the Brewdemon fermenter and it's accessories. :)
Last edited by Shermie on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LouieMacGoo »

Welcome to the BeerBorg Shermie! Nice to see another new brewer on the forum! Please make sure to introduce yourself in the Assimilation section! :cheers:
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

What Rick said. I generally use bulk LME for my extract brews. However, I keep various DMEs around for odd lots and styles, especially when throwing together a HME brew on the spur of the moment. DME will pretty much keep forever if you keep it cool and dry.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
Shermie

Post by Shermie »

I just started yet another batch of beer! This one is the Hard Apple Cider one. :hammer:
Because nobody likes flat beer!!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewbirds wrote:
For those in the warmer climes what do you suggest for temp control? Even without an airlock on them they look to tall for the frozen bottle/ice chest method. :cheers:
What I do is

1) I have a bookshelf in basement. Floor level, mid level and near ceiling level shelves. Temp gradient between bottom and top can be 8 degrees at some times of the year. So I move the fermenter to wherever has the temp I want.

2) When the temp is out of range no matter where for say an American ale yeast, I brew British ales. If it's too warm for those, I brew Belgians and Saisons and Wheats. They like it warm.

3) I can brew lagers in the 50s on the bottom shelf in the winter for a few months of the year.

I like the variety in my pipeline, and I like all sorts of beer, and I prefer ales to lagers for the most part. So I don't mind this.

If all you like are American IPAs or lagers this won't work for you though.
tssummers50

Post by tssummers50 »

LouieMacGoo wrote:

Just ordered my conical,should be here on Thurs! Anxious to give it a try!!
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jpsherman »

tssummers50 wrote:
LouieMacGoo wrote:

Just ordered my conical,should be here on Thurs! Anxious to give it a try!!
Welcome to the Borg :borg:

Make sure to introduce yourself in the Assimilation Forum!
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

Shermie