Mash is on with two new toys

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Mash is on with two new toys

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Got the mash going for a Rye Pale Ale. Using for the first time Beersmith software and refractometer. Already found one mistake I made in setting up profile for the mash, I wanted to end up medium body single infusion batch sparge, mashed in at temp and wasn't close. Started playing on the coo purer and found I did not check the box for temp adjust and was 6 deg low on the strike water. I am now using a profile for a single infusion light body batch sparge. So I have that going for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Re: Mash is on with two new toys

Post by FedoraDave »

Always a few hitches when you're using new toys. But you'll settle in and make these things part of your regular brewing, and it'll work out great.

Good luck with the Rye Pale Ale. I'm drinking my Rye-Guy IPA right now, and I'm liking it a lot!
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
King Duncan's Porter
Fermenting/Conditioning
Littlejohn's Ale -- Crown Top Pale Ale
Drinking:
Ottertoberfest
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

First venture into the Rye territory, if this is the only mistake I make with the new software on this brew then I'm good. This particular batch just won't be as malty as I had hoped, but may work out better than I had planned. Checked first runnings with the refractometer 1.085 in just seconds :jumpy: :jumpy: then after first sparge it is at 1.054, projected pre-boil is 1.043. I am loving this tool !
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

The adjust temp box got me too Steve! :p
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Dawg LB Steve wrote:Got the mash going for a Rye Pale Ale. Using for the first time Beersmith software and refractometer. Already found one mistake I made in setting up profile for the mash, I wanted to end up medium body single infusion batch sparge, mashed in at temp and wasn't close. Started playing on the coo purer and found I did not check the box for temp adjust and was 6 deg low on the strike water. I am now using a profile for a single infusion light body batch sparge. So I have that going for me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cool:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Well this was a learning experience, missed on the checking of boxes, missed on adjusting temp of grain and tun, missed on comprehending what I was seeing until after yeast was pitched. I was not comprehending that the two numbers in parentheses were total for the sparge, so I was short on volume by water I could get thru my head at the time. But with my other new toy it should have registered that I was short on my pre-boil volume by the pre-boil gravity! It was estimated to be 1.043 it should have hit me like a sledgehammer when I got 1.058 reading on the refractometer that I was short on volume. All in all I was able to top off the fermenter to acceptable volume and still be a hair above the projected OG, est. 1.053 actual 1.057, did not have any more water that I would have trusted going into the fermenter. It is what it is!
:sweat: :D
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5