Enjoying a fine Belgian ale

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Enjoying a fine Belgian ale

Post by Gymrat »

I am on my patio enjoying a Funky Farmhouse Ale from Happy Hound Brewery (berryman). I have a photo so I don't need to describe the foam and color. The aroma and flavor are absolutely perfect for the style. The best word I can come up with to describe is bubblegum. This beer is everything I can imagine from a Belgian ale. Refreshingly different, perfect yeast esters yet no off flavors, a beer that would be very difficult to get right. An absolute pleasure to enjoy. To put it in my usual succinct style of describing a beer..."DAMN that's good beer!"

Beer-lord

Re: Enjoying a fine Belgian ale

Post by Beer-lord »

Looks very nice and your description makes it sound even better.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Gymrat wrote:..."DAMN that's good beer!"
An endorsement doesn't get any better than that! :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

While Belgians are not my favorite style I do enjoy the bubblegum aspect of some of them.

Sounds tasty and it's great to see other Borg members sharing beer!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Glad you liked it Roger and TY for the review, after your review I had to drink another one tonight :)
Edit: I try not to drink too many of them at a time because....... because I forgot what I was going to say. :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm probably going to try one of these tomorrow. Maybe split it with SWMBO, if I decide to be nice.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Berryman, I agree with Gymrat, this beer simply rocks. It's everything I'd want in a Saison of this strength. Bubblegum, spice, enough tartness to balance the malt, strong yet the alcohol flavors are smooth and controlled. The nelson sauvin adds some nice but subtle additional white grape like fruitiness that mixes with the yeast esters perfectly. Citra would probably work well too as a hop in it's place in this beer if you would like to play with it. Even if you don't think this batch came out as "funky" as the last time you made, there is nothing wrong here, this is excellent beer. Streisselspalt was the perfect finishing hop. (for full disclosure, I do have to say that I happen to love streisselspalt).

I tend to make my saisons a bit less strong then this so I can drink more then one, but this one is worth the kick in the butt.

Berryman/Gymrat/anyone else who has had/likes this beer - you would probably also like the bier de mars recipe I posted recently. It's of course not the same, and it's not quite as strong - but it has a lot of similar elements. The esters are a bit more constrained since I fermented that cooler and with a mixed yeast culture, and it has some fig/date like character tossed into the mix, where this one has a the hints of white grape vibe from the nelson. Berryman, if I am driving through your neighborhood this summer - which is possible - I'll bring some of that along so you can try it. I think you'd enjoy it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Thank You Mash
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison